The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit worried about buying a new 2021 manual gearbox Evora GT now as with the release of the Emira, what could I for a percent in depreciation in the first couple years. Or should I consider a Lease and commit to a pre-order Emira and drive the evora around until my order is available (sounds like Late 2022) at this point?. Or should I consider in 10 years it will be rare and prices go up. Note I know all new cars depreciate heavily. But would it drop to 70k car value in the first 2 years? Your thoughts?

·
Administrator
7,544 Posts
Look at what used '21 and '20 have been going for. Not much drop and remember they will never be built again so it will always be diminishing numbers out there available.

Reactions: Lckitty

·
Registered
2011 Exige S260 Sport
343 Posts
Valid concerns. A couple things to think about:
  • You're considering buying a Lotus or two. Think about what that entails in terms of company size, dealer network, warranty issues. If you're OK with everything Lotus comes with then prepare for an amazing car, the Evora is great... but it's no P car, MB, BMW, C8 or whatever.
  • In terms of the money, that's completely your call. These cars are not cheap - they shouldn't be. Will their value change over time? Of course. That's the case with all cars, and they should not be looked at as financial investments. There are taxes, insurance, registration, maintenance that chew up a lot of funds, even if the value goes up.
  • If you decide to take the plunge, welcome. These cars are amazing.
  • If you decide not to, I think we understand, these cars aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
127 Posts
I think the 400+ cars will dip down to the low 60s, stay there for a while and then climb in about 10 years.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lets be real, the Emira is basically a prettier Evora with better tech and interior. Its very similar to the Evora and that's why I think it will hurt the Evora's value once the Emira begins to be purchasable at dealers. Even though in the long run the Evora may be more rare than the Emira, it doesn't offer a ton over the Emira. The only thing it really offers is 2+2, maybe its slightly lighter, and if you are talking 10 or 15 years down the road you may be able to still update the radio head unit to something with more modern tech. The Emira is most likely stuck with the tech in it. Other than that from what we know the Emira will most likely be superior, especially after it matures a bit.

If you are an Evora owner and want top dollar, now is probably the time to sell. The looming Emira will eventually begin to hurt values. Sure, the Evora will eventually bottom out due to its rarity. Its unlikely you will see them, especially the 4XX and GTs for under $30k anytime soon, but its just too similar to the Emira to not to take a hit. I am unsure how collectible it will even be, maybe if Lotus as a brand really does gain the a lot of cache over the next decade or two it will make it more collectable. The Elise and Exige are their own special thing that there isn't really a modern replacement for, so those values will probably continue to climb.

Personally I would be weary of buying a new Evora GT unless it had a heavy discount. If its truly is your dream car and the Emira doesn't appeal to you much then it go for it. Either way you should never buy a car banking on it appreciating or only depreciating only a certain amount. I would always go into a car purchase expecting normal depreciation unless proven otherwise.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
127 Posts
Evora is a parts bin car using parts from normal cars. Emira has a bunch of Geely parts. Evora will be easier to source parts for in the long run, and have fun when the Emira digital dash fails.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I'm a bit worried about buying a new 2021 manual gearbox Evora GT now as with the release of the Emira, what could I for a percent in depreciation in the first couple years. Or should I consider a Lease and commit to a pre-order Emira and drive the evora around until my order is available (sounds like Late 2022) at this point?. Or should I consider in 10 years it will be rare and prices go up. Note I know all new cars depreciate heavily. But would it drop to 70k car value in the first 2 years? Your thoughts?
If you've not got your pre-order in yet, Spring/Summer 2023 might be more likely.

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
305 Posts
You're buying a depreciating asset but are worried about it depreciating. Kind of like buying water and worrying that it's wet.
But you're really worried about it how much it will depreciate. Kind of like buying water and worrying how wet it is.

Take a breath and stop worrying. Life's too short. Find a book on how to stop worrying. And buy the fucking car you want

·
Registered
494 Posts
All new car will depreciate. Get a use Evora to enjoy now until the Emira arrives prob 2023 for US. I don't think you would loose much value in a used Evora.

·
Registered
2021 Lotus Evora GT 410 Sport
66 Posts
If the Emira becomes a succes it would be the most produced Lotus ever; you will see it far more than any other previous Lotus model; the exclusivity therefore will be relatively low.........the "rare" Evora (the last "Çolin Chapman" car) will become much sought-after; also because new types of Lotus enthusiasts will take notice of the true Lotus heritage.....

If the Emira becomes not a succes after the initial high sales figures, which by all means is possible due to lack of true sales and after sales facilities / aggressive price policy of Porsche / more defects as previously thought, etc.
the Evora will remain the last top model of Lotus; most powerful, fastest ever and therefore increasing sought-after, especially since there are very low numbers available.

In both cases the remaining value of every sold Evora is in a relative comfortable position.
In my personal opinion the Emira is a rather "hyped" car which therefore easily could disappoint.

From the UK Lotus forum one hour ago:
..............This thread isn't filling me with confidence.
Parting with the thick end of £80k for a car that I can't drive and unable to view specification options in the flesh is a super big ask. Some of us live a 5 hour round trip from our nearerest Lotus dealer, which represents a not insignificant commitment.
For me, what is it about this car, that should make me feel that I should replace my V6 Exige with either a V6 Emira or AMG i4?
I was full of enthusiasm at the launch of this car, but feel Lotus have gone way too soon, and speaking personally, I'm very much off the boil.................

·
Registered
728 Posts
Evora is a parts bin car using parts from normal cars. Emira has a bunch of Geely parts. Evora will be easier to source parts for in the long run, and have fun when the Emira digital dash fails.
Considering people claim that they can't get Evora parts already, a car being sold new, I don't think either is that great for future parts unless Lotus gets their act together regarding parts.

Either way, you are right, that may be saving grace of Evora 10 or 15 years down the road for some parts, but for the immediate future the Emira is going to most likely hurt its value.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
127 Posts
Considering people claim that they can't get Evora parts already, a car being sold new, I don't think either is that great for future parts unless Lotus gets their act together regarding parts.

Either way, you are right, that may be saving grace of Evora 10 or 15 years down the road for some parts, but for the immediate future the Emira is going to most likely hurt its value.
Yeah, Lotus specific parts are hard to get but have you seen the parts cross reference list stickied on top of this forum? Basically dont damage the body or glass and you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
If worried about value, do not buy car...TADTS

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think the Evora GT will be the analog version, The Emira will feel more like a GT car. In the US the closest we can get to an Exige in my opinion is an Evora GT when buying a new Lotus.
If the Exige v6 would have been available stateside road legal I would have bought one immediately. After tons of laps at different track's in the Exige BOE car I had I can happily say the Evora GT is equally capable of a car on road and track and what it gains in those extra pound it makes up for with extra horsepower.
After I sold my BOE Exige I went to a 991 C4S, Then a Maserati GT, Then to an Alfa Quadrifoglio then back to a Lotus because it just felt faster and more engaging when I test drove one.
I thought about this a lot because I could sell my GT and order an Emira but what would I be gaining?? A fancy dash? 12 way adjustable seats? automated emergency braking? lane-departure warning? adaptive cruise control? Keyless entry/drive? (Ok hell yes that would be nice lol) Do I need that ****? Not really lol.
What would I be loosing, Handbuilt, Carbon Roof, Carbon Seats, Rear seat cargo which is really handy and my guess is a more raw driving experience. Emira is also estimated to only be around 100lbs lighter with the same damn motor. Now if they release a more track focused Emira for the road I think that would be more intriguing. Knowing Lotus this wont be the only version.
I agree with Ruud's point on the hype behind the Emira, I was so excited about the launch of the V8 Vantage in 2005 and then the reviews came out so I passed but it was beautiful too and still is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What makes you think that the Emira or any other car you buy will not depreciate? Why is the question just about the Evora. Lotus is going to make EVs after the Emira run is over. So would you wait for the EV to launch instead of buying the Emira?

·
Loves to talk
1,480 Posts
Another Evora depreciation thread Oh joy. Evora depreciation will be more favorable for current owners than 95% of vehicles on the road today. They hold value well and always have. This won’t change in the foreseeable future. Try to buy a 60k 4xx today and of course you won’t find one in top condition.

It’s not as if their discontinuation is a closely held secret and yet prices are holding firm indeed. Does this situation improve as they get rarer and rarer? I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Yeah, Lotus specific parts are hard to get but have you seen the parts cross reference list stickied on top of this forum? Basically dont damage the body or glass and you should be ok.
Lets remember that EVERYTHING in the world we need is sitting on a boat somewhere. You'd think by know some of these idiot companies would realize that depending on shipping is no longer viable and its time to build in the USA again!!!

·
Registered
2020 Lotus Evora GT - Vivid Green
305 Posts
Lets remember that EVERYTHING in the world we need is sitting on a boat somewhere. You'd think by know some of these idiot companies would realize that depending on shipping is no longer viable and its time to build in the USA again!!!
It is happening as we speak. I have a friend whose US based manufacturing company has suddenly become a better value than its competitor overseas whose cost per container for shipping has driven up their pricing dramatically. My friend is trying to ramp up US production to meet increase in demand.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts