The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, thought I would start a thread incase anyone ever replaces their engine with one not from lotus, just to make it easier for them!

Changes in the lotus 2grfe from the Toyota 2grfe are minor but will cause issues with the lotus ecu, here are the changes I have found through trial and error

-Lotus exhaust camshafts
Lotus is clever in that to achieve more exhaust valve lift for performance and sound, they made the base lobe smaller, but left the lobe peak size the same. This was done because it meant lotus did not have to cast their own cams to have more lift, since the hydraulic rocker remains at zero clearance, the rocker will sit higher, meaning more valve lift when the valve opens! Extremely clever!

Also, the pickup sensors are different on the lotus exhaust camshafts, I had all kinds of valve timing errors before I switched to the lotus cams in the new motor.

-intake camshafts are the same

-oil cooling system
the S's oil cooling system hooks right up to the 2grfe once the water to oil cooler is removed, but you must plug the coolant lines for it on the left hand side

-Valve covers are the same with the addition of the clip holders for the engine cover from the Toyota

-only 2009+ Toyota 2grfe have the piston oil squirters like the lotus unit

-the newer intake manifold bolts right up, and looks better than the one on the NA evora's!

-lotus injectors are different, they don't have the extended neck like the Toyota ones

Hopefully this helps somebody, it was a lot of headaches to figure it all out!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I had always been under the impression that the internals of the engine were untouched by Lotus. Interesting to see it proven otherwise.

Can you post a picture of the new intake manifold? Curious how it looks compared to the older one.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, so it sounds like you're pretty safe as long as you have your old engine (assuming you blew it up or wanted to build one and throw it in).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, so it sounds like you're pretty safe as long as you have your old engine (assuming you blew it up or wanted to build one and throw it in).
The supercharger failed and rotors started hitting, as soon as I heard that firmilar sound it had already sprayed metal into the engine and killed it.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I'm surprised that the Evora 2GRFE is different from the Toyota engine.
I understood that the Evora was just a Rav 4 engine, which has the Oil-Water heat exchanger that the Camary does not have.
Ramtin used a Rav 4 engine when he replaced his blown up motor, and made no mention of a cam change.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm surprised that the Evora 2GRFE is different from the Toyota engine.
I understood that the Evora was just a Rav 4 engine, which has the Oil-Water heat exchanger that the Camary does not have.
Ramtin used a Rav 4 engine when he replaced his blown up motor, and made no mention of a cam change.
It is possible that the Evora S has different cams, or that the motor I had used had different cams, being a 2015 motor.

Car sounded much different with the other cams also. Sounded like you'd expect a Toyota Camry to sound. The casting markings on the cams were not Toyota, instead they were marked CWC, a OEM cam company. The cams in the donor motor had Toyota markings

·
Illegal Alien
5,351 Posts
It is possible that the Evora S has different cams, or that the motor I had used had different cams, being a 2015 motor.

Car sounded much different with the other cams also. Sounded like you'd expect a Toyota Camry to sound. The casting markings on the cams were not Toyota, instead they were marked CWC, a OEM cam company. The cams in the donor motor had Toyota markings
Can you quote the actual camshaft part number?

·
Illegal Alien
5,351 Posts
More likely that your motor was different being a 2015 version than the Lotus changed any internals.

Lotus/Toyota specs on cam; no difference between N/A and S engine internals-
Circle runout
Maximum
0.04 mm (0.0016 in.)

Cam lobe height
Standard
Intake
44.316 to 44.416 mm (1.7447 to 1.7487 in.)
Exhaust
44.262 to 44.362 mm (1.7426 to 1.7465 in.)
Maximum
Intake
44.166 mm (1.7388 in.)
Exhaust
44.112 mm (1.7367 in.)

Journal diameter
Standard
No. 1 journal
35.946 to 35.960 mm (1.4152 to 1.4157 in.)
Other journal
25.959 to 25.975 mm (1.0220 to 1.0226 in.)

Thrust clearance (bank 1)
Standard
0.08 to 0.13 mm (0.0031 to 0.0051 in.)
Maximum
0.15 mm (0.006 in.)

Thrust clearance (bank 2)
Standard
0.08 to 0.13 mm (0.0031 to 0.0051 in.)
Maximum
0.15 mm (0.006 in.)

Oil clearance
Standard
No. 1 journal
0.040 to 0.079 mm (0.0016 to 0.0031 in.)
Other journal
0.025 to 0.062 mm (0.0010 to 0.0024 in.)
Maximum
No. 1 Journal
0.10 mm (0.0039 in.)
Other journal
0.09 mm (0.0035 in.)

Also, the pickup sensors are different on the lotus exhaust camshafts, I had all kinds of valve timing errors before I switched to the lotus cams in the new motor. All 4 pickup sensors are the same You may be finding changes that Toyo has done to 2015 Camry blocks that are not on our earlier engines.

-intake camshafts are the same

-oil cooling system
the S's oil cooling system hooks right up to the 2grfe once the water to oil cooler is removed, but you must plug the coolant lines for it on the left hand side The S used a thermostat valve in place of the water/oil cooler from the N/A and Rav 4. Yes you can take off right from the block with a custom adapter and still incorporate a theromostat. I had to do this fro my original Header installation.

-Valve covers are the same with the addition of the clip holders for the engine cover from the Toyota

-only 2009+ Toyota 2grfe have the piston oil squirters like the lotus unit; good tip as no Evoras used this old of an engine.

-the newer intake manifold bolts right up, and looks better than the one on the NA evora's!

-lotus injectors are different, they don't have the extended neck like the Toyota ones. Only the S injectors are different from standard Toyo issue.

Reactions: Harix

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Julian, I do believe you are right.
The deal is with the camshafts, that they must have only been used in a particular Toyota vehicle. As the pickup sensors are mounted in the valve cover, and I am using the new motors valve covers now without issue, their location could not have changed.
The camshafts themselves have 3 pickup points, and these varied between motors.
The "block" was not changed. Camshafts aren't held in the block, since the 2grfe is an overhead cam engine...

Also, the bit with the piston squirters, I just noted that because 2 people PM'ed me asking if they needed to carry them over when swapping motors, since I referenced them in another post..

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
This stuff is why this forum is so great. Thanks you guys!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! I realize I have not properly introduced myself, but I stumbled upon this topic and created an account specifically to respond here. I do not own an evora, but have a Toyota MR2 with a 2GR-FE swap. The engine is from a 2007 Camry, and I have it partially disassembled at the moment.

The reason I want to respond is, that although my engine is older than 2009, it most definitely has oil squirters. I have the oil pan off, and they are clearly visible from below.

It's hard to take pictures, but you can see it here, to the right of the connecting rod:

Just for reference, this is the engine:

·
Illegal Alien
5,351 Posts
Runners are the same
Just looking at this picture, the PCV piping is run wrong. The red line coming off front (forward) valve cover needs to see manifold vacuum, the valve cover nipple is the PCV valve which is a one way sucking from cover/crankcase to manifold, its a small dia (3/8") line that such only suck at idle, cruise. While it is now taking off behind throttle plate, that vacuum signal may be different.

The second larger line (5/8") coming off the rear (back) valve cover is a free ventilation line that should feed to the intake up stream (towards air filter) of the throttle plate. This line has flow either way, if PCV is open (engine under vacuum) it flows air from air filter into valve cover down into crank sump through oil galleries up the forward galleries into the front valve cover and out the PCV value into the intake manifold. IF the PCV valve is closed, car under acceleration, then air is sucked from sump into the intake. The photo shows both lines feeding downstream of throttle plate, both will be always trying to suck air out of sump creating negative pressure, promoting oil ring leakage .. not the design intent of Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

Please don't take my word for this but look at photos and parts diagrams of the stock car set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a bad 2011 Evora engine to replace. If I want to swap with another engine, would it be a same year 2011 Camry or 2011 Rav4 engine?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Really good read

I need to get new camshaft sensor.

Any of you guys know if I have to the the Lotus $260 A132E6283S or the Toyota $100 9091905060 is just as good?

Thanks

·
Illegal Alien
5,351 Posts
I need to get new camshaft sensor.

Any of you guys know if I have to the the Lotus $260 A132E6283S or the Toyota $100 9091905060 is just as good?

Thanks
As long as you have the correct Toyo part number it will not only be just as good but the same thing. Lotus only changed injectors on the engine 'long' block (and on 400/410 cars adds a baffle plate between upper and lower oil sumps). I quoted long as ancillaries such as AC compr., Alternator, engine mounts have mods

Reactions: nintense
1 - 20 of 39 Posts