The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 US Evora S pictogram on the dash indicates the driver's door is open. It is not, but the false signal is causing the following problems, all of which arose simultaneously:

1) The interior overhead light will not go off. (This is easily addressed.)
2) The driver's side window auto drop is not functioning.
3) The mood lighting and footwell lighting will not go off. (This is a huge problem that will drain the
battery within about 14 hours.)
4) The alarm cannot be set.
:mad:
While I am about to research this problem on this website, any immediate help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way: In late January I had my driver's side window regulator replaced. It still works, although I suspect the above may be a result of a wire in the door becoming disconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
It is more than likely the door latch micro switch. You can try the lube as suggested in the other thread. But, you probably need a whole latch assembly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million; the lube trick actually worked!!!! For how long this will work I don't know, but for now ....

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
And here I thought the Inteva latches were the answer to all the questions surrounding the original latches. I guess whoever supplied both latches used mediocre microswitches. +1 for consistency?

·
Love Lotus!
120 Posts
And here I thought the Inteva latches were the answer to all the questions surrounding the original latches. I guess whoever supplied both latches used mediocre microswitches. +1 for consistency?
Remember though, not all 2012's have the new latches. The early builds have the old style. The lube trick didn't work for my early 2012 with the old latches.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta ask why a car so brilliant in so many ways has window lifts, wiper motors and door latches that wear out at 26,000 miles. I have owned another Lotus, so I'm hardly in shock, but it is a real head-scratcher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2010 Evora. After researching the issue on LotusTalk and baulking at the exorbitant price of a replacement lock mechanism I decided to have a go at 'fixing' it myself. Like many others it was the microswitch not properly closing. By simply bending the contact spring it is now working reliably. The down side was that I had to drill out the top of the posts that hold the whole lock assembly together. This left me with a lock that would easily fall apart with springs flying off. Fortunately when mounted in the car the mounting bolts hold the lock mechanism together. So I used a zip tie to hold it together and with a lot of messing about I did manage to reassemble everything and now have a working lock.

Here are some photos taken during the whole process.

Hope this helps

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Man that's such a poor design, having those central posts riveted to hold it all together.

Thanks for the pics though. They'll definitely come in handy when I need to work on my latches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2010 Evora. After researching the issue on LotusTalk and baulking at the exorbitant price of a replacement lock mechanism I decided to have a go at 'fixing' it myself. Like many others it was the microswitch not properly closing. By simply bending the contact spring it is now working reliably. The down side was that I had to drill out the top of the posts that hold the whole lock assembly together. This left me with a lock that would easily fall apart with springs flying off. Fortunately when mounted in the car the mounting bolts hold the lock mechanism together. So I used a zip tie to hold it together and with a lot of messing about I did manage to reassemble everything and now have a working lock.

Here are some photos taken during the whole process.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/groups/share/lB1MahMpSnyyg7vduQv5Ow.QcgckevrAblIVqlkQOI_pa

Hope this helps

Rob
Nice fix!! I got my new latch now but I was wondering if you could look back at your pics and see if you have a crack in the same spot I did? I thought I could see a crack in one of your pics. Looks like it could be the weak point/design flaw.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I checked my photos and can confirm that I also see a crack in the same place. I remember at the time noticing the crack but not that it had an impact on the actual problem I was trying to fix.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts