The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm starting another new pull to find interest and if i get enough responses I think I can workout a deal with Fidenza to make a nice light flywheel and strong clutch for our cars. Here the email I got back from them when i inquired about making one for our cars :

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry on the Lotus flywheels. To my knowledge, we have not yet designed a flywheel for the newer Lotus Evora that you have, but we have done some special projects in the past, so if you can send me some additional information on the car application (engine size, engine code/designation, transmission used, and horsepower & torque ratings), I will be happy to check this with our Engineering Department and get back with you.

Normal requirements for specialized designs/manufacturing runs, is the purchase of 12-16 units to keep the costs of production down, and within our normal pricing ranges. Custom one-off or short run flywheels can be created, but charges for those run from @ $1,500 - $2,200 dollars each.

Thank You again for your business & Best Regards,

So what I like to find out is how many of you would be interested in buying the set. Based on my previous experience usually their flywheels run you around $400 and the clutch is another $400 or so. I'm going to send them specs and what i'll do is i'll tell them we want a clutch that holds up to 500HP , that way if we end up supercharging the car with an aftermarket system this clutch and flywheel combo will hold that extra power with no Problem.

1. Ramtin1000
2. squidward

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I would definitely be interested in this, hopefully it will provide significant performance and reliability over the stock clutch system.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I would definitely be interested in this, hopefully they can sprinkle some fairy dust on it so I don't have to pay a ton for an entire car to be taken apart to put in a sub 1k combo.
Fixed again.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Do you know what is entailed in an Evora clutch replacement? It isn't a simple change. The Lotus Service Manual has the labor at 39.5 hours for all the disassembly needed and another .5 just for the clutch itself.

Other forums are giving this matter some attention right now since it is very costly. That 40 hours of labor (depending on where and how much) could easily exceed over $4K in labor alone (not counting parts). In fact to make matters worse, the rear clam and hatch need to be removed, the rear subframe and bumper and the engine and transmission need to be dropped.

So much for VVA???

Lotus was previously evasive to this question when asked at the initial launch of the Evora in the UK in 09. Now the service manual is out, it clearly outlines the extensive work needed to do what is an inevitable repair.

As this becomes more known, it is feared this could be harmful to the resale of Evora's. In may be particularly devastating in a few more years as higher mileage models become available for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just like the Elise clutch replacement it will require dropping the motor and we all know that it will take time. As for the resale value i don't think anybody smart enough would take that and say the car is not worth the same since it has a nicer and strong clutch and it would not break as easy as the stock one. Search the service history of different evora's in this site and you'll notice that at least 7-10 cars here had clutch replacement with very low miles. Some were due to tracking and some just clutch failure. If you look at the S version you'll see that they actually changed the flywheel and the clutch since they noticed the ones they are using on the NA version is actually not that great of a design.

If you do any tracking you'll notice that rev matching with this car is a nightmare. I'm personally all for performance not resale value. I remember the first time we changed the clutch and flywheel on my 06 elise we spent almost the entire day to finish the job , but at the end of the day the performance gain and power delivery was worth every minute of it.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Yeah rev matching is about impossible. I'm very good at this with an Elise, yet can't often come close in the Evora. But I have driven the Elise 10 times as much.

That clutch change looks to be something the car might well not recover from. By that I mean never be at all the same. Stack the interior around a typical garage for the time it takes them to figure it out and you'll about have a kit car when they are done.

I would very seriously add my name to the list however, as I see this needed in future. My main consideration is what gains we would realistically achieve.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I am interested in principle. But, 4K in labor is not something I would pursue, until it was needed. I would also like to know what sort of performance gain can be expected.

As far as rev matching, I didn't think it was that bad on track. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Same here. I wouldn't pay the labor costs to install it so I'm not really on the list.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
very funny guys :cool:

I would definitely want to change it once my current stock one goes. Given it has changed once, I'm pretty certain I will be needing a new one after my warranty expires this time next year. These things are wear parts and don't last forever. I just hope my replacement doesn't fail prematurely.. So far all is well (knock on wood).. with exception of course to this damn clicking sound...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Clutch:? dose the Evora have a problem with this part? I feel my car shifts smooth with only 900 miles. I know a clutch is a wear item but what problems are owners having????

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's funny how people don't think about the fact these parts will eventually fail depending on your driving habits and once you have to change them you have to pay for the install and that's when you wish you had the better product since you're already paying for the labor. Not to mention the original product from the dealer would cost you close to 2k. I think you guys all should pay a visit to the dealer and inquire about how much the clutch and the flywheel are!!

@ fasttoys : The stock flywheel is very heavy. Rev your engine and see how long it takes for your rpm to drop back to 1000. It takes more power to spin a heavy flywheel and by dropping wight from the mass you can actually gain power by not wasting energy to spin the wheel. As for the clutch , the stock clutch is not going to handle added power. We all know that lotus actually put a different clutch for the S version.

·
Registered
498 Posts
@ fasttoys : The stock flywheel is very heavy. Rev your engine and see how long it takes for your rpm to drop back to 1000. It takes more power to spin a heavy flywheel and by dropping wight from the mass you can actually gain power by not wasting energy to spin the wheel. As for the clutch , the stock clutch is not going to handle added power. We all know that lotus actually put a different clutch for the S version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and I agree with the stock flywheel. Another? Every time I changed to a lighter flywheel I increased rattles and noise is this not the case anymore? Since my car is a cruiser and not my track car I should be good with the stock setup..

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yes I encourage all Evora owners check with dealers and find out what the estimate would be. Fact is, the Evora clutch replacement is nothing like or as easy as an S2 Elise or Exige. Plus check out the service manuals for yourself (you can download them from Lotus) and look at the disassembly and time required. It says 40 total hours.

With a minimum of a $4000 service cost, you seriously need to consider if it is worth it to do when it functions as designed. But, as has been said before, clutch replacement is inevitable. If you intend to hang on to the Evora for the long term and intend to drive the car, you must be prepared for service and it would be nice to have an option or upgrade at that time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd like to list my name.

I would like to get a lighter flywheel and reliable clutch.

I recommend we should consider more mod when we will install.

Such as LSD and gear set or final gear(if exist) for closed ratio.

Because it is hard to install, if we install at a same time, we can save installing fees.

I'll prepare the parts. when I"ll get off rear clam, I will do.

·
Registered
597 Posts
... the original product from the dealer would cost you close to 2k. I think you guys all should pay a visit to the dealer and inquire about how much the clutch and the flywheel are!!
Why would you replace a flywheel? The clutch parts are only around $400-500, and a light grind on the single-mass flywheel (if necessary) is cheap.

The stock flywheel is very heavy. Rev your engine and see how long it takes for your rpm to drop back to 1000.
This is not a good test on a car with electronic engine management. And characterizing the stock flywheel as "very heavy" is not accurate. As JAWS told you in an earlier thread, the Evora flywheel weighs 17lbs, while the Evora S flywheel is 13. Not exactly a world of difference, and while not ultralight, not especially heavy either.

Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts