The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have chosen autocross as our motorsport of choice. We run a Mini Cooper that is nearly fully prepped for STX. We aren't very
. Although the car is small, it has enough room for all of our gear. On longer trips we tow a tire trailer or trailer the car. We have a year old toddler right now and he fit until he outgrew his lift-out rear facing child seat. Our autocross days generally start by dropping off the little guy at his grandmother's house so we are mostly trailering the car to events right now.

After using the Mini as an autocross only car for the last 6 months, we are debating whether we keep it or move on to something else. I wouldn't mind something a little more comfortable on the street and I don't have as much time to tinker with cars as I use to. The original plan was to get a an E90 M3 or a Ford Focus RS. The little guy is large for his age and could move to a front facing car seat in a few months. This opens up a few options including Evoras. We are in a weird place where tiny backseats fit our needs pretty well. I figured we should at least take a look.

Here are my questions

Do you prefer a 2011-2015 Evora or Evora S for autocross duties? The base Evora is classed better and local B Street competition is pretty good. The S will be more fun for street driving but I am not sure if that extra power is usable on an autocross course. How does the supercharger deal with autocross heat loads? We have to spend time between each running spraying down the Mini's intercooler or it pulls timing.

Are there any trim packages I should look for or avoid? I was a bit concerned about the close ratio gearbox but it thankfully does not affect 2nd gear. It looks like the sport package is pretty much required as it increases the red line for a few extra mph in 2nd gear.

Do I need to worry about cracking the fiberglass on a hard cone hit? Is there anything I can do to strengthen the front corners? Does a starshield help?

Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the Evora? I am interested in towing a 500lb tire trailer or attaching a bike rack depending on the event. I found an Elise hitch made by BOE but I haven't seen anything for the Evora.

What do you use for numbers? I am guessing magnets won't work.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My wife and I have chosen autocross as our motorsport of choice. We run a Mini Cooper that is nearly fully prepped for STX. We aren't very good. Although the car is small, it has enough room for all of our gear. On longer trips we tow a tire trailer or trailer the car. We have a year old toddler right now and he fit until he outgrew his lift-out rear facing child seat. Our autocross days generally start by dropping off the little guy at his grandmother's house so we are mostly trailering the car to events right now.

After using the Mini as an autocross only car for the last 6 months, we are debating whether we keep it or move on to something else. I wouldn't mind something a little more comfortable on the street and I don't have as much time to tinker with cars as I use to. The original plan was to get a an E90 M3 or a Ford Focus RS. The little guy is large for his age and could move to a front facing car seat in a few months. This opens up a few options including Evoras. We are in a weird place where tiny backseats fit our needs pretty well. I figured we should at least take a look.

Here are my questions

Do you prefer a 2011-2015 Evora or Evora S for autocross duties? The base Evora is classed better and local B Street competition is pretty good. The S will be more fun for street driving but I am not sure if that extra power is usable on an autocross course. How does the supercharger deal with autocross heat loads? We have to spend time between each running spraying down the Mini's intercooler or it pulls timing.

Are there any trim packages I should look for or avoid? I was a bit concerned about the close ratio gearbox but it thankfully does not affect 2nd gear. It looks like the sport package is pretty much required as it increases the red line for a few extra mph in 2nd gear.

Do I need to worry about cracking the fiberglass on a hard cone hit? Is there anything I can do to strengthen the front corners? Does a starshield help?

Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the Evora? I am interested in towing a 500lb tire trailer or attaching a bike rack depending on the event. I found an Elise hitch made by BOE but I haven't seen anything for the Evora.

What do you use for numbers? I am guessing magnets won't work.
Here are my thoughts after tinkering with a AS/BS Evora for a while...

Base Evora in BS should be the most competitive Evora available.

The Evora S is non intercooled. The powertrain will become heat soaked and pull timing. I don't know how much power drops off when this occurs.

Get the sport package. You'll want all RPM you can get.

Don't worry about fiberglass breaking. The front bumper cover is easily replaceable, unlike the Elige chassis.

Vinyl numbers. Apply them to a clean surface soaked in water. Squeegee the water and air bubbles out once you have them located where you want them. The numbers will stay on just fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi @ojannen . Welcome.

As some have noted, I've had a pretty involved 2 years autocrossing Evoras. I've owned 2 and have run them all over the country. @jdawson is right on all points and is the 2nd most knowledgeable about Evora autocrossing in north america. Humble brag: he and I have the only national event wins in Evoras and they are all in my car. To answer your immediate questions

• the transmissions options are irrelevant on course, although early CR transmissions are more likely to fail.
  • 2010 and early 2011 cars have substandard shifter linkage which does effect 1-2 shifts
  • all evoras have the same wheel widths, which makes the AS cars way-way under-tired
  • S is definitely more fun on the street. With good tires, these cars can handle a LOT more power. The NA car is has the worst power/weight in BS.
  • 2 rear wheels/tires fit in the backseat. 2 fronts "fit" in the passenger seat, but I will never do it again.
  • It's going to be really hard to fit a trailer hitch. It might be possible and would have to be custom, you don't want very much tongue weight though.
I'm sure this led to more questions. Just shout out what you would like to know.

cheers!

Mods: Can you look at combining this thread with: https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/considering-an-evora-for-autocross.473572. They are duplicates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts