The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really. What idiot put the rear fuse panel in such a position that some of the fuses (the ones on the bottom left) aren't visible, the panel is too far away to access them, and you can barely get one finger to touch the fuse (with much body contortion).

My AC gave up, first thing is to check the fuse. Not remotely possible without removing the entire rear inside body panel. That fuse is in the bottom left row, can barely touch the thing. Use a needle nose plier blind? Probably short some other fuses. WTF??

It would have been a simple matter to place the panel in a reasonable position, but simple access and reasonable are foreign terms to Lotus. Any suggestions, other than getting something from Germany or Italy?

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
hey, if you get it from Italy you dont need to replace the fuese .. the car just burns up. Oh wait, Germans are having same problem with the GT3

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Have you met the original Lotus engineer who designed the electrical system?

The picture is actual size:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you use the little yellow fuse puller they give you, and angle/squeeze your hands just right, you can get the normal fuses out that are tucked in back there. It's a pita

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just be thankful the engine can be easily accessible and worked on now. Just think if the Evora has similar engine access problems as the elise. Good thing Lotus listened to the complaints and fixed the later models of the Elise with the factory designed hinge.

Can you imagine if they would have designed the Evora with the same access?

I just love the way the Evora's rear clam lifts up giving that incredible engine access like other cars..........then i woke from the pain from sitting in the trunk for two hours installing my CAI. I cant wait to really doing some upgrades, wonder if any of those little guys who ride the dogs in the circus moonlight as mechanics?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I had to enlist the hands of my 14 yr old daughter when my fuse for the rear camera popped. It is pretty insane to access that fuse panel. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
You see the guys in Norfolk have an extra joint in their arm which allows access to areas we mortals cannot reach. Inbreeding has its benefits.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to enlist the hands of my 14 yr old daughter when my fuse for the rear camera popped. It is pretty insane to access that fuse panel. :cool:
All hands available to me are too old and my dogs refuse to put a paw in there. I'd love to have a Lotus design engineer over for a drink and have him show me how this design makes any sense. :huh:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
How about a photo? You haven't yet gotten me interested enough to go outside and look.

Hopefully, it is behind the panel that protects the tail lights?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about a photo? You haven't yet gotten me interested enough to go outside and look.

Hopefully, it is behind the panel that protects the tail lights?
There's an access panel behind the driver, on the left side wall behind the seat belt. When you remove the cover, you will see that the panel is way down in there to the back and some of the fuses (the one I have to look at included) are not visible or remotely reasonably placed to manipulate. You have to remove/replace the fuses blind and with minimal fingertip capability.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Aha! Behind the "fake speaker", right? I think I did look in there once.

I suppose you may have to remove the entire plastic interior quarter panel. Would that help? I have removed the passenger side panel many times to work on replacing the subwoofer. It is a pain. Back seat, rear window frame cover, leather piece covering the side sill will all have to come out before you can even get to all the screws for that panel.

Seems like there is plenty of room in there to have placed that fuse box better.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most definitely room to place a fuse panel where someone can access it, no reason whatsoever for placing it where it is.

But I did manage to get the thing out, checked the fuse and it's OK, replaced and only took 55 minutes. On any other car, a matter of seconds, or at least in my experience with unusual cars.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
That is actually the location designed to place your contraband!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts