The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
To all the non Evora owners in the thread on an Evora specific subforum: good luck getting that $30k Evora! Maybe if you continue to post negative speculation about the future values of these cars long enough your dreams just may come true!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
My sister has worked in auto sales for years and puts it very simply like this.

No matter what deal you make on a car when you leave the dealer they are popping the champagne.

Clearly no dealer is going to lose money on a car so the best any of us will ever do buying a car is letting the dealer make the least profit possible. So sure there are better deals than others but there is no such thing as getting a car for less than a dealer paid for it period. They aren't in business to take a loss on something, they wouldn't last long doing such. Every car I've ever bought I've determined what I feel is a fair price for the car and a fair trade in for my vehicle if I'm doing so. I call the dealer and say "here's the deal, if you like it let me know and I'll come sign, if not no worries". I make it clear these are the final numbers, no "doc fees", etc. and if they have some bullsh!t that it has to be on there then they have to lower the price of the car so these are the final numbers. Easy for me as I don't even go to the dealer until we've come to terms and as such I've never had a bad experience buying a car. Buying a car should be a fun and exciting experience and to me this makes it so. I know I might spend $500 more for the same car than someone else but I don't care as for that $500 I bought myself ease and comfort, I didn't have to fight with or play games with anyone.

So just remember this and you'll do okay:

No matter what deal you make on a car when you leave the dealer they are popping the champagne.

·
3,201 Posts
Oh and why does it seem that Evora owners are so butt hurt about others owning their cars? Do you guys think you're special Lotus owners in some way and that you and your cars are somehow better than say my Exige? They are totally different cars, in almost every way. My car would spank every Evora on this forum on a track, save for a full race spec car. Your Evora would spank my car on the street in every way, looks, comfort, etc. Are you really so worried that some low class Elise guy is going to be able to afford your car at $30-$40-$50k? Saying that someone will never own something is completely retarded, while I agree that I don't see many Evoras falling into the $30ks given their starting values many people can afford better and better things as they progress through life. A guy in his 20's might only afford $20k for a car but in his 50s a $500k car, what's the issue here?

There absolutely will be Evoras sold close to $30k at some point. 20 years from now a precious 2013 IPS S car will be a very old car, with 7 owners and won't be worth crap. That's the nature of the game, so saying something will or won't fall to some price is totally absurd, I can't at all understand the point of this thread at all, save for someone making themselves feel good about being able to afford a McLaren. I suppose that's why many of the car guys I know view the 650s (or 575 probably in this case) as a douche mobile. Personal I think they are amazing cars and I'd love to own one some day but that's probably unlikely for my income and lifestyle. But trying to disparage others to make one feel better about what they do, well that's about the definition of douche in my book. Unsurprising to me it's from my home town as well, ugh...

Stupid post. Move along....

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Thank you. All I try to tell the non owners is simply, so few have driven any Lotus, they have no idea what a phenomenal drivers car these freaks of nature are. I am a deal maker. I bought both at prices that would embarrass anyone here but I love them just as much as if i paid full list!!! Price does not matter, how you love, drive and treat the car MATTERS MOST. Lust and look but realize time spent without is YOUR loss.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
When I bought my first Esprit I studied Lotus depreciation quite a bit, and found that an 8 year old Lotus is the "sweet spot" for depreciation.
You can own a Lotus from 8 years old to about 12 years old without incurring much depreciation at all.

I'm just now settling in with my 2010. Keep it in good shape, and you'll do fine. Bought mine new at $72k and still worth about $40k.
55% after 6 years is better than most makes.

·
3,201 Posts
The reality that we should all know is that a car, like a house is only worth what someone will pay for it. One of the many great things about our cars/brand is that they age extremely well. Hell even the first generation Esprit is still seen by many as supercar - meaning with a lay person sees one sure they know it's old but they also know it's something amazing. The final edition Esprits look rather amazing to my eyes and likely will for years to come. People are shocked that my car is 10 years old and they will be for another 10 I'm sure. They don't understand the two secrets to Lotus, they are in reality rather cheap and they are rather terrible "cars" (with the Evora being far far better and a real street car). Even when my car was stock it's horribly uncomfortable (for most), bumpy, hot/cold, terrible AC, terrible stereo, loud, etc. We don't buy these cars in spite of those reasons we almost buy them FOR those reasons. I bought my car 100% as a track toy, I would never have done so if I were not a track rat. Sure I'm glad it looks good and all but if it looked like a brick, well an aerodynamic brick, I'd still own it because driving it on the track is an almost spiritual experience for me.

So again these discussions of prices, what one has, paid, can, can't, wants, has, won't have, etc. is quite possibly the dumbest thread I've ever seen on LT presented in some of the douchiest ways I've ever seen. For someone that can own a true exotic that's great, truly, I'm happy for you - especially if you're a car guy. Sadly most owners of true exotics are hardly car guys in the truest sense. Many know very little about their cars and almost none of them know how to truly drive them. I've said it many times, I've never seen a fast exotic on a race track unless it was a full racecar fielded by a professional team. Being clear in no way do you need to be a "car guy" to own an exotic, I'm not trying to make that judgement at all. The fact is exotics, while designed for speed really aren't sold for that purpose and the manufactures know it. What percentage of Ferarris or Lambos are actually tracked on a regular basis, 5%? 2%? What percentage of Lotus, specifically the Elige and more specifically the Exige are tracked on a regular basis, 25%? 50%? Whatever the number is it's a multiple of exotics.

Anyway my point here is for a toy like this and that we're discussing price is rather irrelevant in terms of what one paid vs. another. We're generally talking about differences of 5-10%, right? When you buy anything else within your budget do you worry about 5-10% variability in the price? Of course not. So why would you when buying a car, again that's in your comfortable budget/price range? The only reason it matters is to make ourselves feel better about what is arguably a dumb decision or to help self-rationalize that purchase. Okay, if that's what you need great, everyone is different. IMHO it's extremely douchy to bring that up in a public forum to both brag about what you have and to disparage others that they may not or will not ever own the same. Do you not understand that this is why most of the world hates us?

While a stupid conversation so long as this can stay civil, more so than it has been then fine, I suppose keep discussing. If however it continues to go the other direction well we can all put it behind us and read what's already been said as it'll be time for it to stop.

-Ross

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't want to offend anybody here. But the Evora just isn't that special. Its performance isn't earth shattering and its looks are kinda bla. Its not special like an exige or even a Elise. Now the 400 might be different. But Obviously it's a lotus so it's an awesome car, but it is just a very cool car, not special enough to appreciate already. Not like a gt3rs or a Shelby 350 or something like that.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yes, stupid thread. I regularly participate on 4 different car forums (check my signature for hints as to which ones) and they are always filled with these types of posts regardless of the forum. On one hand you have the guys that own the cars that value them way over market and sit around and obsess over the slightest bit of depreciation. On the other hand, and these are slightly more annoying to me than the first type, you have the guys that don't own the cars but that want to that come on the forum and post about how worthless the cars are either in some sort of act of self assurance or in an attempt to drive down prices for their own purchase.

Essentially, if someone is stretching their finances by purchasing a luxury car, it is a poor decision. Unless you are quite smart with a good bit of luck mixed in, your car will depreciate while you own it if you follow the ownership course of an average owner. Don't look at it as an investment or you will drive yourself crazy. Enjoy yourself and count your blessings that you are able to own such a fun toy.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Oh and why does it seem that Evora owners are so butt hurt about others owning their cars? Do you guys think you're special Lotus owners in some way and that you and your cars are somehow better than say my Exige? They are totally different cars, in almost every way. My car would spank every Evora on this forum on a track, save for a full race spec car. Your Evora would spank my car on the street in every way, looks, comfort, etc. Are you really so worried that some low class Elise guy is going to be able to afford your car at $30-$40-$50k? Saying that someone will never own something is completely retarded, while I agree that I don't see many Evoras falling into the $30ks given their starting values many people can afford better and better things as they progress through life. A guy in his 20's might only afford $20k for a car but in his 50s a $500k car, what's the issue here?

There absolutely will be Evoras sold close to $30k at some point. 20 years from now a precious 2013 IPS S car will be a very old car, with 7 owners and won't be worth crap. That's the nature of the game, so saying something will or won't fall to some price is totally absurd, I can't at all understand the point of this thread at all, save for someone making themselves feel good about being able to afford a McLaren. I suppose that's why many of the car guys I know view the 650s (or 575 probably in this case) as a douche mobile. Personal I think they are amazing cars and I'd love to own one some day but that's probably unlikely for my income and lifestyle. But trying to disparage others to make one feel better about what they do, well that's about the definition of douche in my book. Unsurprising to me it's from my home town as well, ugh...

Stupid post. Move along....
Sounds like some pretty unprofessional comments, "butt hurt" really? :no:, from a moderator. Sweeping generalization are something my 18yrd does. He also uses the term butt hurt.

No one has a crystal ball. Who would have thought a POS Lamborghini Jalpa or Ferrari 308GT4 would go for over a $100K. They sucked even in their day and now could not even match the performance of a Nissan Altima.
Trends happen. Sometimes cars are unfairly raised or lowered by opinion or unseen market forces.

I do not think this is a "stupid" thread, but there are some pretty immature post in it. I do agree anything said is pretty much total speculation.

Things going for The Evora price to increase over time
It is a Lotus
limited numbers (exclusivity)
reliable Toyota drivetrain
exotic looks
great handling (some would say unmatched)
relatively comfortable
lower than average price of entry

Things going against the Evora
It's a Lotus (sometimes perceived as unreliable)
Some build quality issues (nothing compared to your average Lambo or Ferrari)
Lower than average power output
Difficulty in getting parts
Somewhat spotty dealer support

So those are the basic facts, now the free market will decide.
I'm really not too concerned, either way I will probably keep my car for a long time, maybe even pass it along to one of the kids or grandkids.:clap:

"Butt hurt" :facepalm:D rotfl

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why do you think Evoras won't depreciate into the $30s. It's easy to find them in the low $40s, and even in the high $30s right now. So I'm sure if one like the one in portlands CL is priced at $39000 you could probably buy it for $37000 or so. This thread and the OP are funny. And why do you think us guys with Elise's or exiges would want an Evora? You don't think an Elise owner can buy a Evora? Not bagging on Evoras just the OP.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don’t think this thread is stupid or useless. Like most threads in many forums, we just have to filter out the all nonsense. Some folks just got carried away, make mistake, and post childish comments. Even a moderator made a mistake of generalization and calling us Evora owners “butt hurt” :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Why do you think Evoras won't depreciate into the $30s. It's easy to find them in the low $40s, and even in the high $30s right now.
Are car in the 30's can easily be back to the 40's with a few service items that will most likely be in need on the lower priced cars. Sure, you could buy a POS or badly neglected car, but is that really buying the car in the 30's?

It's the same with any exotic...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man if you can get 60k for your evora please do so. My 2013 evora s with 5k on the clock n almost 1 yr warranty left is apparently worth 50k to dealerships. Who knows what the future value would be for the evora, but its sure slowly trending downward at this moment.

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
from what I see, some evora owners do feel more superior not sure why... lol in my area, there's "Evora only" lotus meet and also a couple weeks ago when I went to a local car meet in Danville with two other Exige friends, we saw some evora owners there. none of them look like they want to have conversation. But again, I also have 3 close friends who drive Evora, so definitely not all of them are like that.

Back to the topic, the price is definitely going down but they do have a minimum value at $35~$37k as I have never seen anything lower than that in the past 3 years. In July 2015, the 2010 models were sold at the same price as what's listed for the 2011 models right now ($41k~$45k) If that rate stays the same, the 2012 models will be in that price range by July 2017 and so are the 2013 models in July 2018. If the dealer is taking your car for 61k, you should definitely consider trading in because it looks like a really good deal for you.

·
3,201 Posts
Wow, tried to add some levity to the thread and it seems I've failed. Not sure what the problem with "butt hurt" is all of a sudden, I was trying to avoid being rude. As for an admin making whatever comments I, like you, will speak my mind when I choose. I'm not always perfect, perhaps this annoyed me more than it should have but I still maintain this is one of the most useless and dumbest threads I've seen on LT in a long time. That said I haven't been online a ton lately so perhaps I've missed other threads that are more in line with this one and shouldn't be surprised. I suppose I put LT on too much of a pedestal than it deserves when I think it's one of the best automotive forums around, seems some of you think I'm wrong there.

So my apologies for those that I offended with the use of "butt hurt". Next time I won't keep my tongue in my cheek and will simply say what I really think....

-Ross

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to weigh in with my 2c worth! Just a bit of info for ya...
I live in Australia. My brother bought a 2011 NA about a year ago, asking price$80K (got it for $72k Australian). They haven't gone down in price at all, yet. I think that's great news! Are the prices here in American currency? I assumed they are.

As far as future values go, my theory is (but not many agree with this!) The NA was priced JUST within the range that the likes of myself could afford (brand new) in 2014. I couldn't afford any other sports car of that calibre brand new. When 400 becomes better known, it will raise a lot of interest in Lotus in general. Some people who see the 400 & really want one (like me!) will find that it's way out of their price range (we're expecting them to be around AUD$240k here), and all of a sudden a used NA or S, which they'd never even heard of before, are looking like an excellent alternative. Demand around the world goes up, and so does the value of the used NA or S. Well that's my theory and I LIKE IT!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Things going for The Evora price to increase over time
It is a Lotus
limited numbers (exclusivity)
reliable Toyota drivetrain
exotic looks
great handling (some would say unmatched)
relatively comfortable
lower than average price of entry

Things going against the Evora
It's a Lotus (sometimes perceived as unreliable)
Some build quality issues (nothing compared to your average Lambo or Ferrari)
Lower than average power output
Difficulty in getting parts
Somewhat spotty dealer support
some more to add to Chhirowolf’s list:

Plenty of luggage room for long road trips
Backseats (useless for some folks, but my kids love it and I was able to drive much more)
Excellent gas milage for a sport/performance car.
One of the few remaining driver’s car
Low cost maintenance
probably the most practical exotics on the market today.

And not to mention it is on the Esquire - The 100 Hottest Cars of All Time

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd like to weigh in with my 2c worth! Just a bit of info for ya...
I live in Australia. My brother bought a 2011 NA about a year ago, asking price$80K (got it for $72k Australian). They haven't gone down in price at all, yet.

That was an excellent buy, I thought it would have been closer to AU$85k.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.