The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know my driving habits are pretty mellow. I'm almost never in sport mode or high up in the rpms. It's safe to say I drive casual since when I do drive it's just through the city. But the little indicator (I don't know how accurate it is) is down to 11.2 mph. It's just slowing and surely getting lower and lower. Anyone else experience this?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Now I know my driving habits are pretty mellow. I'm almost never in sport mode or high up in the rpms. It's safe to say I drive casual since when I do drive it's just through the city. But the little indicator (I don't know how accurate it is) is down to 11.2 mph. It's just slowing and surely getting lower and lower. Anyone else experience this?
I think your car is mad at you. "almost never in sport mode or high up in RPMs"
Maybe something with the ECU being put off by low RPMs messing with your fuel mixture.
Its a sports car. Use it like one:shift:

I drive mine in sport mode at high RPMs around town and get a pretty consistant 15-17 MPG
On highway I get mid 20s

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your car is mad at you. "almost never in sport mode or high up in RPMs"
Maybe something with the ECU being put off by low RPMs messing with your fuel mixture.
Its a sports car. Use it like one:shift:

I drive mine in sport mode at high RPMs around town and get a pretty consistant 15-17 MPG
On highway I get mid 20s
Yeah that could be true lol. I just only pulled it out every so often and when I do I don't really go too far. I'll make sure to beat up on a little next time I bring it out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I assume you mean mpg not mph :).
AFAIK, this reading is integrated over time between computer resets, so what you are seeing now may include lots of idle time and low-speed driving. Try resetting the system (by holding in the set button when the mpg function is displayed) and see how the measurement changes with driving habits.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I suggest you check your air filter. A change is way past due if it's clogged. That might be your problem.

11 seems unusual. Even when I'm hard on the car, I've never gotten it below even 14. My lowest was 14.7, and that was from 4 hours spent playing in the canyons..

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
The dash indicator is not very accurate. Mine usually reads 16-18, whereas my actual calculated mpg is 23 mpg in mixed driving.

Try figuring the mileage yourself. I bet it's a lot better than 11 mpg.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Ditto to Plack. ~11mpg is more like track driving!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm getting 14-15 on the dash in short around town errand driving. Seems low now?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The dash indicator is not very accurate. Mine usually reads 16-18, whereas my actual calculated mpg is 23 mpg in mixed driving.

Try figuring the mileage yourself. I bet it's a lot better than 11 mpg.
+1

Same here! Mileage is much better than the reading!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Mine is about 17-19 MPG in town, and up to 28-32 MPG highway. All in sport mode. In town I shift around 3500 up to 7000 RPM's,depending on my mood.
On the highway, I use cruse control on trips of more 1/2 hour at the same speed.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I pull around 21mpg. I always run SPORT mode and frequently run in the 4000rpm range. (to make the fun noises!)

I used to get 24mpg before I put on the CAI (which makes the fun noises...I am sure it is connected in that I go faster more often now.)

·
Illegal Alien
4,999 Posts
Highway 80 to 85; 20 mpg in sport mode and 5th or 6th on a S

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Sports cars will always have MPG values much lower than the official claim. At least if you want to enjoy driving your Lotus.

The standard cycle used to measure MPG is very synthetic, but also the way to drive the car to get the numbers. Roughly follow these rules to get mileage:
  • Never go above 2000 RPM, i.e. shift up very early
  • Just touch the gas pedal to accelerate, never push it anywhere near down
  • drive in 5th gear in the city
So, basically do everything to make driving the Evora dull.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
  • Never go above 2000 RPM, i.e. shift up very early
I don't think it would be possible to drive these cars without exceeding 2,000 rpm thanks to the gearing.

I drive mine on a pretty good mix of So CA highway (50% 80 mph/50% 8 mph) and city and rarely drop under 19 mpg even with owner's manual recommended "occasional spirited driving."

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
...And almost always in sport mode because it just sounds better.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
So, you immediately violated the rule to make driving the Evora dull.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts