The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo... after taking the car to have them look at an issue when me sometimes not being able to downshift into second gear (at lower rpms usually while getting ready to turn), the word comes back that I need a new transmission. It's prepped for surgery tomorrow morning. This comes after the car was there for maybe 3 weeks I think while they were correcting an airbag issue. It turned out to be a faulty pin going to the harness.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Timetable is a 30 hour job.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
Sorry to hear but at least the clutch will be fully examined at same time. Funny how its the Toyota parts causing all the grief on these cars!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear but at least the clutch will be fully examined at same time. Funny how its the Toyota parts causing all the grief on these cars!
I figured that the clutch would be replaced as well but apparently it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is sad to hear. I hope it all goes well. Have them get pictures!
They pulled the ECU readout and didn't see any abuse by me so they are covering it. That's good news at least.

·
Registered
359 Posts
(Someone correct me if I'm wrong) But I'm led to believe it's part #33 (Adaptor, clutch release bearing) that's failing:

DeRoure Ltd - The most comprehensive Lotus parts site on the web. - Part Diagrams.

There was need to manufacture this part to match the gearbox (diesel Avensis) to engine (2GR-FE) which were never meant to meet.

There's an adaptor plate - part #4 below:

and the "Adaptor, clutch release bearing" takes up the space introduced by the adaptor plate. This part is wearing out when it shouldn't.

At least that's what I've been informed - I may be wrong!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Monsta is back! The posts dropped off after the purchase.
Wow, Another one!
Where's Squid?
Could you give a little more info on what you were experiancing.
Sorry to here about your problems!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Monsta is back! The posts dropped off after the purchase.
Wow, Another one!
Where's Squid?
Yeah I know I have been gone for awhile. Car was stored mostly because of the correction needed to the bumper. Thanks to Craig and Derek at Orlando Lotus for figuring out the piece was missing. My airbag light had come on shortly after getting the car. And in that case it took awhile and a few replaced parts (airbags and modules) before figuring out that it was a pin to the harness. Apparently Lotus themselves has some incorrect info in their system so it was pointing elsewhere.

As far as the transmission goes, the symptom was happening early on but it wasn't constant. While the dealer had the car other times I kept forgetting to mention it to them. What would happen is that I would be coming up to a corner, at normal RPMs, and get ready to downshift from like 3rd or 4th into 2nd, but it won't go, and it wouldn't go to 1st. This is even after releasing and repressing the clutch. I would get down to about 3-5mph and have to pull from 3rd. It happened once every so often, so it kept slipping my mind.

All the rest is the normal laundry list of Evora issues... dash replacement, headlights, taillights, new seals to stop water from getting in during washes, etc, etc, etc....

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Where's Squid?
Sure..

The clutch release (throwout) bearing and adapter (12 & 33 on parts diagram 47.01 above) were the culprit. They were poorly fitted together, and it was binding (or causing something else to bind) during of the clutch operation. The service manager handed it to me before demonstrating the excessive play between the two parts. It was not just loose but wobbly.. This explained the jerking hesitation shifting from 1st to 2nd and due of the repeated occurrence, unusual wear was inflicted on the rest of the clutch, so Lotus felt it best to replace the entire transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
It would actually be a really good thing if we can isolate most of this tranny/clutch corruption to few parts. Then Lotus can actually improve the parts for fixes. Yes, it is going to cost them a bunch, But...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is making me think that the clutch should be replaced as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It would actually be a really good thing if we can isolate most of this tranny/clutch corruption to few parts. Then Lotus can actually improve the parts for fixes. Yes, it is going to cost them a bunch, But...
As far as I know, those parts are the *only* problem. Has anyone actually had a clutch plate fail (delaminate, fracture, etc)? I don't think so.

The clutch is made by AP Racing - not sure who manufactures the failing parts.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
We seem to be dialing in on this issue. Good work everyone!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
As far as I know, those parts are the *only* problem. Has anyone actually had a clutch plate fail (delaminate, fracture, etc)? I don't think so.

The clutch is made by AP Racing - not sure who manufactures the failing parts.
Aisin is the supplier for the Evora's transmission (BG6) and is owned by Toyota.

But the notion of blaming the supplier doesn't help in anyway exonerate Lotus, in my opinion... Lotus controls everything that goes into their cars. They are ultimately responsible for ensuring the quality of the vehicles they sell as well as the service that is provided for their vehicle warranties.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts