The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to getting the evora, I read that between axels ground clearance for both the Evora and Benz SLK is 4.7inches. I was able to drive the SLK up and down my decline angled parking ramp at my community carpark just fine and didn't expect any issue with the Evora. After bringing the Evora home however, even going 45degree sideway, I've always managed to scrape the crest (high center) a tiny bit. Nothing serious sounding, just a quick semi second of someone running a fine grit sandpaper underneath the body of the car, no violent grinding noises.

So, I was wondering if the clearance numbers are wrong? Or perhaps the extra wheelbase length of the Evora (101.378in) vs. SLK (95.7 in) is preventing the Evora's bottom from clearing the crest.

So base on the attached image, any suggestion to minimize the bottom rubbing? And if not, will this be an issue that will cause costly damages/rusts later on? Again, it's nothing violent or jarring. Just a light semi-second rubbing sound underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The wheelbase would have an impact, as does the loading of the car. Clearance is measured empty and you yourself may make the difference.

There is nothing that can be seriously damaged underneath the car with that scraping (aluminium doesn't rust), but I wouldn't want to have it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you approach that on an extreme angle (like 15deg) and turn as the second front wheel is on the crest, it shouldn't scrape at all.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I think you may be mixing up ground clearance with approach angle and departure angle. You could have 12 inches of ground clearance, but if the front edge of the vehicle is 10 feet in front of the centerline of the front axle, you won't be able to go up a two inch ramp

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Just pick up a little speed and go into "launch mode". might be a bit hard on the suspension. rotfl

sorry, I know, I'm no help

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
I wouldn't want to grind the heads off the bolts and not be able to get the plate off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's the issue I was describing in the speed bump thread. If I went too fast (anything faster than almost 0) over a speed bump near my house then I scraped the belly pan in my 2010 n/a. It never happens with my 2014 S, at any speed. Also went from 18/19s to 19/20s. Not sure what is causing the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
That's the issue I was describing in the speed bump thread. If I went too fast (anything faster than almost 0) over a speed bump near my house then I scraped the belly pan in my 2010 n/a. It never happens with my 2014 S, at any speed. Also went from 18/19s to 19/20s. Not sure what is causing the difference.
Wouldn't the different tire size give you additional clearance? The diameter of the 18" front is 25.1; the 19" front is 25.5, thus you gain .2" ((25.5-25.1)/2), and in the rear you gain .25" ((26.5-26)/2).

I realize .2" and .25" isn't very much, but it could make a difference?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Could be. It would only just barely scrape, so 1/4" would make a difference.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The wheelbase would have an impact, as does the loading of the car. Clearance is measured empty and you yourself may make the difference.

There is nothing that can be seriously damaged underneath the car with that scraping (aluminium doesn't rust), but I wouldn't want to have it on a daily basis.
Haha, I'm quite sure it's not me, I'm 5'4" and 125lbs :) after much thoughts and lessened beer, I'm positive the extra 5" in the wheelbase length is making the front dip sooner before the back can climb the crest. I'll give it a few more days to try different angles before calling it quit and park at a second carpark that's generally more crowded and farther walk to my cave.

Could be. It would only just barely scrape, so 1/4" would make a difference.
This might be an excuse for me to update my wheels >:]

I wouldn't want to grind the heads off the bolts and not be able to get the plate off.
Is there anything that's needed to be accessed to in the middle of the car from underneath? The scraping seems to only affect the mid section of the car, and for less than a second before clearance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
This will not be encouraging but I had the curb in front of my house jackhammered and repoured at a gentle slope so that I could get my cars in without scraping. Wasn't cheap but is very nice and is much more aesthetically pleasing and a more permanent solution than the curb ramps that some people use.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Guy in a different forum had some sort of air suspension added to just the front of his lowered vehicle.

I would think any tweak at all to Lotus's suspension would be ignorant....but I admittedly have no concept of how those would change the suspension.

I'll be glad to ask the guy as he has a sponsorship from the company for his ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.