The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the july issue of car has their first proper review of the evora (very positive:nanner:) and the first group test i've seen; with an m3 and an 911 (finally someone is comparing it to the correct porsche). considering how much car rates the german cars it makes the result even better (ok spoiler) the evora wins as the best drivers car:coolnana::clap:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
the cover had a picture of the Cayman S, IIRC. But good if it was compared to 911 which is better to do.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Cool your jets Fuzz!

the july issue of car has their first proper review of the evora (very positive:nanner:) and the first group test i've seen; with an m3 and an 911 (finally someone is comparing it to the correct porsche). considering how much car rates the german cars it makes the result even better (ok spoiler) the evora wins as the best drivers car:coolnana::clap:
Pretty sure that the Cayman is a proper Porsche. :rolleyes:

Like what I'm seeing so far with this latest Lotus. This is a much more exciting vehicle in my opinion than Ol' Buzzy ever was... but that's just me.

:cool:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
i guess price wise the cayman is closest to evora. 911 base price is around 90k now, yeah?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

Like what I'm seeing so far with this latest Lotus. This is a much more exciting vehicle in my opinion than Ol' Buzzy ever was... but that's just me.

Incidentally, the 2009 Boxster S with the PDK hit 0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds. Not that anyone here cares about straight line acceleration. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
531 Posts

I think he is just saying that the 911 is the car Lotus was targeting, not that the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i guess price wise the cayman is closest to evora. 911 base price is around 90k now, yeah?
From Porsche's website (base 911):
MSRP $ 76,300.00 345 hp @ 6,500 rpm 0-60 mph: 4.7 s Top Track Speed: 180 mph Fuel Consumption (Highway) 26 mpg (Manual)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
About a year ago, I heard the Evora was suppose to be targeted toward the Cayman S and the base 911. That was before Lotus announced the Evora would have 276hp and come in a bit under 3,000 pounds. Speculation at the time was 300hp or 2,700 to 2,800 pounds would which be comparable to the 911.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Evora concept is nice.

But it is heavy (for a Lotus) and underpowered (just like all Lotus).

IMHO, Lotus should have never launched the anemic version first. They should have built the SC car first and then offer a lower cost n/a (anemic) option.

By the time the car gets the proper power for its weight, no magazine will care and the good version will have very limited coverage. For a company with limited marketing funds, building the car right the first time around is the only way to properly market their car.

I know I'll wait for the man version of this car.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You are exactly correct Herr Hoople!

The Evora is aimed right at that Snapper crowd. You DO realize that when out-fitted with exactly the same engines... the Cayman always beats the 911
around that Nürburgring? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Roger that hombre!

I think he is just saying that the 911 is the car Lotus was targeting, not that the Cayman isn't a proper Porsche.
The Cayman S is one Hell of a vehicle to aspire to. My second one arrives iin ubder 4 weeks.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:up: thats what i meant since the evoras a 2+2

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet :) Did they get any hard data?
mike just for you:p

1382kg
0-62:5.1
top 162mph
33mpg

Crib notes:
It took 400 meters for the writer to love it.... as with the other reviews, just a few minor irritations; mainly the nav system, poor rear view and windshield reflections and a few squeeks and rattles that Lotus already knows about for the production cars. Basically its as "involving as an Elise with the refinement of a Porsche":bow: In their view the car sets the benchmark for power assisting steering feel and handling.

As for the group test it has a better ride, steering and handling than the m3 or 911 whereas the germans interiors are more "polished" than the brit.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I agree totally but I think the problem is that there are some European emission standards that look at total volume per car company. Sorry, I don't remember the reason exactly. Perhaps, someone else can elaborate?

Evora concept is nice.

IMHO, Lotus should have never launched the anemic version first. They should have built the SC car first and then offer a lower cost n/a (anemic) option.

By the time the car gets the proper power for its weight, no magazine will care and the good version will have very limited coverage. For a company with limited marketing funds, building the car right the first time around is the only way to properly market their car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Evora concept is nice.

I disagree there. Lotus was wise along with EVERY other car manufacturer that introduces a new model to bring out the lesser hp version first. It's ALL marketing and somehow enthusiasts never seem to grasp this concept. The magazines already love the car because of its handling and precised steering and knowing that the vehicle will come out with a higher hp soon only has them chomping at the bit that much more.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I disagree there. Lotus was wise along with EVERY other car manufacturer that introduces a new model to bring out the lesser hp version first. It's ALL marketing and somehow enthusiasts never seem to grasp this concept. The magazines already love the car because of its handling and precised steering and knowing that the vehicle will come out with a higher hp soon only has them chomping at the bit that much more.
Maybe you're right. But I remember reading lots of comparo and reviews when the Elise first got out, now we hardly had a half pager on the 240S and 260S. The more powerful and interesting models.

I know Mazda use their Mazdaspeed version to help sell their last car when their time is up. Mazdaspeed Miata and 6 arrived at the end of their generation to generate some press when the models have nothing new to offer. Not so stupid I agree. But for a sports car, IF the Evora is tagged as underperforming, it's gonna take forever to change that mentality.

Mazdas are far from being performance cars in the mind of the public, maybe that's why they do that. Porsche did introduce the CaymanS before the regular Cayman.

Maybe Lotus should have introduce the SC, then the NAmic, then a cup version... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I figure with the sales figures expected (2000 worldwide, 800 USA), all the above is a non issue.

They will easy meet those expectations. That is what is all about. Expectations.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts