The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once my warranty expires in June 2023, adding a downangled front camera is on my list of mods to protect the front of the car. The Alpine 987 head unit supports up to three cameras if you add their ~$150 external camera module, which then allows the cameras to be selected straight from the touchscreen. The docs are a bit unclear but it sounds like you can set the default camera to "front" (which will be displayed first when you select Camera from the onscreen menu) yet retain the automatic selection of "rear" when the car is put into reverse. That would be perfect.

I'm thinking a 3D printed mount that gently "snaps" into the front grillework would be nearly invisible, require no permanent modifications, and give a nice view immediately in front with (hopefully) the splitter just visible at the bottom of the image.

Has anyone done this on an Evora? I see a few threads discussing front cameras on Eliges but nothing on Evoras. It would require running cabling from the camera into the dash area... is that accessible by removing just the front undertray? I seriously don't want to remove the clam just to run a cable.

Also... what's involved in getting access to the back of the stock 987 radio in the Evora? I haven't dug into the dash much and wonder if it's possible to just reach up there. Even if it's blind, I could hopefully reach the back of the head unit and swap out the cables by feel to connect the camera module to the 987 and then the two camera cables to the module. I can "assume the Lotus position" pretty well. {grin}

I know I'm about a year ahead of actually doing this but I see that the camera module is getting harder to find, which makes me worry that it may be unavailable if I wait until next year. But I don't want to sink $150 + another camera to find out this is a clam-off insanity project.

Any related experience gratefully appreciated. Obviously I'll document everything and report back if I do this to help others. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Getting behind the unit is cake. The panel around it pops with clips just be firm, but gentle and most importantly, even, then it's 4 screws and out.

The clips can pop out and get lost, so keep track. A magnet on a stick is useful.

The front camera is a cute idea. Ive done zero research. For me, it'd be great to be on automatically at, say, under 5mph.

I'm sure some would want it to auto-hook to a recorder, dash cam style.

But maybe some track rat with a smartycam or similar can help with camera mounts.

Subscribed for sure

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mount is easy. I can design something to attach to the grille, and post the STL file so others here can 3D print their own. Same as I did with the rear plate battery connector.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll probably grab the multi camera module and camera now just so I have them on the shelf for when the warranty expires. The front-specific camera is pricey but otherwise the image would be left-right reversed which I think would be bizarre.

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Easy solution is just install a Show n STO. I use it as a feeler on my GTS & wife's 13.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
@IDEngineer as we think about projects post-warranty to bring the car to modern standards, I'd love two things, which I think (maybe) are easy targets...

1- Auto dip mirrors in reverse - Seems like something we could add.
2- Stereo controls (at least volume) in the steering wheel. It seems the 4 Cruise buttons could easily fit on one side, and a simple stereo control could be added.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy solution is just install a Show n STO. I use it as a feeler on my GTS & wife's 13.
That's my fallback solution. Maybe not even a plate holder, but just something like those "feelers" from the 50's and 60's that "scrapes first". I'd prefer the camera though, and believe I can make it nearly invisible (black camera with a minimalist black mount on a black grille).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1- Auto dip mirrors in reverse - Seems like something we could add.
It's certainly possible to know when the car is in reverse. The trick is controlling the mirror, and even more important, restoring it to the original position. We need to know more about how the mirror adjust joystick works; it could be a simple switch sending power to the mirror, or it could be a CAN device that sends commands to a mirror control module. Either one is workable.

The big challenge is restoring the mirror to its original position. Something tells me that is not a closed-loop system, so there's no indication of present position. YOU (the human) close the loop when you're adjusting the mirror. Open-loop (or sometimes dead-reckoning) systems are notoriously unreliable. Most mechanical systems have different drag in the two directions: If we give the mirror one second of positive voltage to rotate it "down", it's very likely that same one second in the other direction will not return it to its original position. So how do we know when the mirror is where it started?

2- Stereo controls (at least volume) in the steering wheel. It seems the 4 Cruise buttons could easily fit on one side, and a simple stereo control could be added.
I believe there are already aftermarket solutions for this. I know for certain I've seen aftermarket cruise control buttons that attach to the steering wheel.

EDIT: Didn't take long to find some. The attachment system is ugly but that could be improved with some ingenuity.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Feelers/scrape first - that's a big no from me boss.
Nothing like that! {grin} I was thinking something vanishingly small that projects forward from under the splitter.

But yeah, the camera seems so much more elegant somehow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That would be a pretty good idea. On the GT, How are folks liking the reverse camera? If I had one complaint, it would be the quality of the camera! Is it simple enough to swap out cameras with one that has better resolution?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find the factory camera to be sufficient, which for me means "I can see to avoid backing into something". It's low-res by today's standards but I'm not trying to actually DRIVE with it.

If the car had a monitor instead of an actual rear view mirror, this camera would not be anywhere NEAR good enough because in that situation you're depending upon it for actual driving. But for backing up at crawling speeds? Just fine.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Factory camera is junky, but it does the job fine. I don't need 4k, I just need to see if I'm going to hit something.

The question on improving is if the frame rate is limited by the camera, or the unit. That will give the answer on if it's an easy improve.

To me, the elephant in the room is, is it worth it to keep the Alpine if you're doing all this. I want to stick with the factory unit, but I'm probably in the minority there.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I'd have prioritized resolution over frame rate. I don't think increased frame rate would improve the rear camera. Increased resolution would be nice, but not a requirement.

I'm perfectly pleased with the stock Alpine unit. Nothing needs to change there. I'd just like to add a front camera, and fortunately the stock Alpine supports that.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Interesting. I'd have prioritized resolution over frame rate. I don't think increased frame rate would improve the rear camera. Increased resolution would be nice, but not a requirement.

I'm perfectly pleased with the stock Alpine unit. Nothing needs to change there. I'd just like to add a front camera, and fortunately the stock Alpine supports that.
I believe the screen res is 800x480, not much you can do to improve that. but I could be wrong. I'm not big in that space.

I agree, the Alpine unit completely satisfies my needs, but my standards are pretty low. I was able to get the sub to bump, Android Auto wireless (through the Moto M1 adapter), and sounds clear enough for my taste.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the screen is 800x480, that's all you're going to get. A higher resolution camera - even if it worked - would be downsampled to the physical resolution of the head unit's screen. As I said, I think 800x480 (or whatever it is) is plenty for an anti-collision camera. At least for me!

My sub has worked fine from Day One but I've only just tested it. I very, very rarely ever turn on the sound system. I like to hear what the drivetrain is singing to me without distractions. {grin} I know others have upgraded the apparently ultra-cheap speakers and such but I could not possibly care less as long as they work as intended from the factory.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
190 Posts
I believe the screen res is 800x480, not much you can do to improve that. but I could be wrong. I'm not big in that space.

I agree, the Alpine unit completely satisfies my needs, but my standards are pretty low. I was able to get the sub to bump, Android Auto wireless (through the Moto M1 adapter), and sounds clear enough for my taste.
Bought damn near insta ordered that moto m1 till I remembered we're talking GT and you have a GT not a 400....
On the list for next year to pick up a head unit with Android auto.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Bought damn near insta ordered that moto m1 till I remembered we're talking GT and you have a GT not a 400....
On the list for next year to pick up a head unit with Android auto.
It has Android auto, the m1 makes it wireless. It's great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts