The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. sorry, I am new here and not great with online stuff and searches and all that. hoping I posted this in the right place.

Are there any Evora or Evora GT owners who have owned (and enjoyed) a Mitsubishi Evo 8 or 9 ? What are your thoughts on the FEEL of the cars (comparing). I realize its apples to oranges in so many ways (one is 17 year old 3 box sedan, front engine, AWD , turbocharged with econobox roots, the other is a true sports car, Mid engine, exotic or near exotic, etc) .

I am more speaking of the FEELING.. the soul.. the rawness of each car. Most who have owned Evo 8 and 9 did so despite the cheap interior and lack of luxury or goodies,.. the cars were bare bones and basic and all about performance and feel.. and I am wondering if the Evora gives you kind of the modern version of that same feeling (in a different package) ?

Or is it going to feel numb and dull and too perfect and planted and stable and soul-less.. like pretty much everything else modern (looking at you Porsches and BMW). I know that is entirely subjective.. I have P car friends who swear by how great their GT4 or GT3 is.. or my buddy with his Mustang GT350R (my god, it does SOUND good though).. but I have driven all those and they ARE great.. but I just think.. wouldn't trade my Evo 8 for any of them. They are BETTER in every way.. but just lack the FEEL. They don't have the soul. They aren't as raw.. they don't leave me feeling the same way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I haven't owned an EVO but I did have a Subaru WRX STI (same class as EVO) and love it at the time. However, I completely forgot about the STI after I purchased my Evora S. You can't compare an Evora GT to an EVO - different class, characters, experience. Everything is different, not just performance. Other drivers would yield to my Evora at Stop signs or if I need to make a turn. Valet guy would park my Evora at their main entrance to make sure every guess can see it. Many people wanted to take pictures and want to start a nice conversation - including ladies (too bad that I'm not single). Even though my STI handles well but it's just another car on the road and no one notice it beside street racers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I owned one of the very first USDM Evo 8 RS (maybe the first). You can find a lot of my threads on EvoM, where I've been a member for 16 years. After 8 years of ownership, I traded it for a Series 1 Evora. The Series 1 (NA/S) and 2 (400/GT) are very similar in feel. It's not unlike Evo 8 vs. 9 (both CT9A).

Both are amazing driving cars, but direct comparison is hard. The Evora is a purpose-built sports car and the level of feedback is simply much higher. So are the handling limits. The Evora's low CG, double A-arm suspension, and low angular moment allow it to generate more lateral force an transition more quickly. This makes it very "alive" behind the wheel. Steering is superior to the Evo because the geometry is better and the front wheels are not driven.

One surprise you'll find in the Lotus is that it has both more roll stiffness and more compliance. Evos need 500+ lb springs on sticky tires. The Evora's lot CG lets you get away without that.

You should do this. Drive a 987 Cayman, then a 981 Cayman. Then an Evora -- any Evora.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owned one of the very first USDM Evo 8 RS (maybe the first). You can find a lot of my threads on EvoM, where I've been a member for 16 years. After 8 years of ownership, I traded it for a Series 1 Evora. The Series 1 (NA/S) and 2 (400/GT) are very similar in feel. It's not unlike Evo 8 vs. 9 (both CT9A).

Both are amazing driving cars, but direct comparison is hard. The Evora is a purpose-built sports car and the level of feedback is simply much higher. So are the handling limits. The Evora's low CG, double A-arm suspension, and low angular moment allow it to generate more lateral force an transition more quickly. This makes it very "alive" behind the wheel. Steering is superior to the Evo because the geometry is better and the front wheels are not driven.

One surprise you'll find in the Lotus is that it has both more roll stiffness and more compliance. Evos need 500+ lb springs on sticky tires. The Evora's lot CG lets you get away without that.

You should do this. Drive a 987 Cayman, then a 981 Cayman. Then an Evora -- any Evora.

Thanks donour. Yeah, i was over on EvoM from 2003 up until .. well.. i guess still on there, but not active anymore!

Your reply is what i was looking for. THANKS! The "differences" you mention all make perfect sense. I have plenty of sports car experience also (987 Cayman S, race prepped 914-6, various 911's, etc) so everything you said about the differences in that regard make sense. I also road race.. a Datsun 510 and a Spec Racer Ford (sport racer) so very familiar even in full race prep, the differences between a "sedan" and a full sports car (or sport racer race car!). But you completely nailed what I was asking in regards to the FEEL. Basically... I think you are saying YEAH I will like it. The "alive" part behind the wheel is is kind of what i am wondering. The higher level of feedback, etc. For me, when i went from my first Evo 8 (bought it in 2003) to a Cayman S, that was what was lacking. Honestly. Yes, the Cayman S was better screwed together. yes, it was a proper sports car and all the goodness that brings. But what it lacked was the feedback and feeling that the Evo had. My Cayman S was really really good.. but it never really gave the same feedback and feel as the Evo. I always regretted selling the Evo. When i was shopping for the Porsche i first was looking at 911's and i HATED them. They reminded me of my buddy's M3 and M5.. super fast and solid and planted and.. BORING. The opposite of "alive". Then the sales guy convinced me to try the Cayman S and that was much better. so went with that. But it never quite felt as analog and alive as the Evo. So i ended up upgrading to a race-build (but street registered) 914-6 for more involvement and fun on the street (and track) and build a SPEC E30 for more fun on the track.. and the Cayman got sold and i never regretted it GREAT CAR.. but just.. no soul. The 914-6 was a damn handful on the road.. not to mention a nightmare to get in and out of and all that (full cage).. so.. yeah.. FUN but not really ideal car for driving around. Was a blast on the track though.

Been through a lot of cars since then (street and track) and when i grabbbed another beater Evo last year (lightly modded, 350WHP, ohlins.) it was refreshing. That car is OH SO GOOD in regards to just being alive and having a soul and feeling raw and analog. But.. its a beater and i am 49 years old and frankly driving a 17 year old econobox-based tuner car around with no A/C and some issues is just not exactly my dream. But damn.. i want a car that FEELS that good. Driven the new GT350R, and the latest Caymans and 911's and frankly.. umm. no thank you. GREAT CARS but just don't have that feel. The feel like there is layers of technology and engineering between me and the road.. I want to feel like there is nothing but a seat, steering wheel, 3 pedals and tires between me and the road! Like my race cars!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Glad it helped. It’s not all roses. Ingress/egress is no picnic because of the door sill. Rear visibility is a joke. Ice and snow require great care. If you want the ultimate, you should be looking at an Exige. Esprits also have that old school feel and are faster than you’d think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exige.. yeah.. speaking of ingress / egress... had a chance one day at Thunderhill to contort myself into one, do a single moderate lap around the track and then extricate myself from it. It was amazing on the track. But there is no way in hell i could deal with getting in and out of that thing on a regular basis (a few times per week).. it was every bid as hard as getting in and out of my race cars. But yes.. even just on a light test drive around the track.. WOW.. amazing. I am thankfully not tall.. but i am a bit wide and old and creaky boned!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I still have my Evo 9 MR (with <30k miles!), and the Evora is nowhere near the soulless-ness many modern cars have because they are (at least partially) targeted to luxury buyers. While I have no seat time in the new GT, the Evora is probably one of the last analog-feel drivers' cars left on sale. This isn't directed at you specifically, but I take a bit of umbrage at the people who complain about the poor interior and lack of luxury car stuff on the car - practically speaking, it's a $35k car, I'm not sure what people expect given the pricing and the amount of money that went toward making it fast. In some ways, it's a little like the Elise in that it's not full of heavy luxury car BS (which leads to said soulless experience).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Had a 500whp evo 8 before my exige. Still miss that car. What a crap can with an awesome drivetrain. Evora 400 and an evo feel nothing alike. That being said, I made that progression (with a few stops in between) so I wouldn’t call it a stretch to say similar minded enthusiasts would enjoy both cars for their character and performance before considering their luxury

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I started my track career with a 2004 STi (Evo better out of box but STi had more durability potential if not powered past Cobb Stage 2...then they go boom a lot- always saw Evos breaking at track events...seriously)
My 99 Cobra got dumped for the Sti. My Sti became boring when I got my Elise. My elise went goodbye when I experiencedmy 2010 Evora NA LE car on track the first time. It was, out of the box, the best car I had ever driven, Bone stock better than anyhthng else. Period. My 11S is my all time favorite car to date. Love it like is was new still!!!! and yes, BULLETPROOF reliable except for a few maintenance items. On a track car, an MC is a maintenance item IMHO.

Reactions: Dirty Evo and Exira

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not a direct comparison in terms of your question but similar, I traded my stock 2006 Evo 9 back in 2018 for a 2008 Elise SC 60th ed. I haven't had the opportunity to put the SC on the track, but I did track (drag, auto, full lap) the Evo and thoroughly enjoyed it. I honestly think that someone that enjoyed an 8/9 will enjoy the Evora on the track. I do wish that I was able to keep the Evo, but it seemed like I was constantly having to fix things after it hit 140k miles.

Edit: Also was a long-time member and poster over at EvoM. Small world!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love EVO 8/9s, didn’t love my X, and have bought and sold a half dozen of them but always end up coming back for the steering, rawness if driving experience.

My ’18 Evora 400 ranks 3rd, for me, in steering feel behind the Exige and EVO 9. As others have said the Evora is a luxury mid engine car I do find it less numb then my old 981 GT4. Personally nothing modern, that’s not an Elige compares to the EVO for a balance of rawness, steering and experience they even weigh about the same as the Evora.

But I’ll happily take the Evora on a 1,000 mile road trip, an EVO or Exige only if I want to punish myself.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts