The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife gave me approval today to by myself an Evora (likely will get a new Evora GT) for my 50th birthday in early 2021. So, I need to get some things in order and try to save a bit between now and then. maybe get rid of a car or two to make room. But at least I can start thinking about what I want.

question 1: I HATE alcantara steering wheels on a street car. To me, that material is made for racing gloves (great grip) but not for bare skin. So.. question, can a leather steering wheel be ordered or anybody have experience with getting one recovered in leather ? Have a shop or vendor they recommend?

question 2: anybody done the komo tec close ratio gear swap? thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400, Azure Blue, Silver Forged Wheels, Premium Infotainment, Subwoofer, Cruise Control
22 Posts
I have a leather steering wheel. Were tou planning on getting the alcantara interior package?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a leather steering wheel. Were tou planning on getting the alcantara interior package?
No definitely not. But looks like every single photo I see of every GT looks like wheel is alcantara. Maybe not. Might be my old man eyes looking at photos !

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Series 1 cars had all leather steering wheels, these will fit on the 400 hub plus trim plate, airbag and CC switches will carry over from your old wheel. The Series 1 had two wheel types, both slight D ring but the later version had slightly different thumb grips. Well after pulling all the part numbers I see two all leather options on the 400/GT cars, now to just convince them to build it that way.

Series 1 10-14
early style
01 Steering Wheel Assembly MY10,11; D132U0206F. $413.13
27 Steering Wheel Red stitching GP Edition; A132V0757S. nla
27 Steering Wheel Yellow stitching Heritage Edition; A132V0758S nla
later style
01a Steering Wheel Assembly MY12 +; A132V0378F $478.29

11 Finisher Trim, steering wheel, silver; A132V0082F $319.27
11a Finisher Trim, steering wheel, gunmetal black MY12; A132V0333F $62.42

Series 2 (4xx) 16-20

01 Steering Wheel Assembly, leather Black leather, red leather centre stripe; A132V1693F-001. $779.54
01a Steering Wheel Assembly, sport leather & alcantara Black leather & alcantara, red alcantara centre stripe, silver stitching; A132V1693F-002 $620.93
01b Steering Wheel Assembly, sport alcantara Black alcantara, red alcantara centre stripe; A132V1693F-003 $546.00
01c Steering Wheel Assembly, sport, alcantara Red alcantara, black alcantara centre stripe; A132V1693F-004 $546.00
01d Steering Wheel Assembly, leather Black leather, no centre stripe; A132V0378F $478.29

11 Finisher Trim, steering wheel Gunmetal; A132V0800F $250.36. R/B A132V0799F-021
11a Finisher Trim, steering wheel Satin black; A132V0799F-011 nla
11b Finisher Trim, steering wheel Gloss black; A132V0799F-012 nla

Otherwise use Craft Customs, Dallas, TX to recover the wheel, but it cost me almost $500 to cover an S1 later style wheel in Alcantara.

Reactions: Dirty Evo

·
Registered
2 Posts
The close ratio swap seems like a good upgrade if you have to replace your clutch but probably not economical to do on a new car. The rpm drop from 4th to 5th gear is just crazy and it probably explains why the Evora pulls so slowly over 200kph. I mean you probably won't experience this often but on some tracks it's necessary.

According to C&D:
981 Cayman GT4: 0-100mph in 9.0s, 0-150mph in 22.9s
Evora GT: 0-100mph in 9.5s, 0-150mph in 27.8s

They're pretty close to 100mph but up to 150mph the Evora is really lagging behind, largely due to the horrible RPM drop going to 5th I think...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Better get wheel on order now if you want in 2021.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Truly it's a separate option you do not want. Dangerously slippery to bare skin, requires you wash hands often (so 2020) so as not to stain and eventually wears down to a smoother mismatched texture. Pretty to look at though...

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Truly it's a separate option you do not want. Dangerously slippery to bare skin, requires you wash hands often (so 2020) so as not to stain and eventually wears down to a smoother mismatched texture. Pretty to look at though...
Ive had full Alcantara on a number of cars since about 2000, I find it grippier than smooth leather and while i protect it, i don't seem to need to go to extremes. Now I do always where gloves to track, even on an autocross, as I don't want to sweet all over it and of course my no food in car is 99% adhered to except on cross country trips, and then its just some snack nuts, etc. no greasy foods. Alcantara is fairly robust and easy to clean up,

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Regarding the Evora GT the wheel can be ordered full leather, 1/2 and 1/2 (standard) or full alcantara.

Roy

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Regarding the Evora GT the wheel can be ordered full leather, 1/2 and 1/2 (standard) or full alcantara.

Roy
Part Numbers given in Post #4, just to make sure dealer understands. My car was ordered with full Alcantara covered wheel; however, it did not come in that way and had to be changed out under warranty.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
FYI the newest GT order form shows all three and you check one. If nothing is checked you get the 1/2/1/2. I wonder if your issue caused them to update the order form because the old form was not very clear on that point.

Reactions: Dirty Evo

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Hey Greg. I thought the wheels were no longer available. I'm glad to see you offering them (again?).

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I just checked Gator Motorsport for PN A132V0378F (black leather, no stripe), its available for $478.29

I was talking on GRP site, you can only order a wheel for 2010-2011, for newer still shows as sold out because they don't have any cores. So I guess would need to buy a new one and send that to GRP to have made? From looking at the link you posted I think that $478 wheel is for early Evora's, for the 400 cost is $780. What I will probably do is just wait till I put the car away for winter and send my wheel to my Russian connection who makes a lot of carbon fiber parts for me. Was going to do that last year but Greg said he would be able to make me a wheel soon

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
The close ratio swap seems like a good upgrade if you have to replace your clutch but probably not economical to do on a new car. The rpm drop from 4th to 5th gear is just crazy and it probably explains why the Evora pulls so slowly over 200kph. I mean you probably won't experience this often but on some tracks it's necessary.

According to C&D:
981 Cayman GT4: 0-100mph in 9.0s, 0-150mph in 22.9s
Evora GT: 0-100mph in 9.5s, 0-150mph in 27.8s

They're pretty close to 100mph but up to 150mph the Evora is really lagging behind, largely due to the horrible RPM drop going to 5th I think...
I debate those numbers and lets try 0-140 which is the top end of 4rth gear.

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
I was talking on GRP site, you can only order a wheel for 2010-2011, for newer still shows as sold out because they don't have any cores. So I guess would need to buy a new one and send that to GRP to have made? From looking at the link you posted I think that $478 wheel is for early Evora's, for the 400 cost is $780. What I will probably do is just wait till I put the car away for winter and send my wheel to my Russian connection who makes a lot of carbon fiber parts for me. Was going to do that last year but Greg said he would be able to make me a wheel soon
All wheels fit Series 1 through 2 cars, the wheel I called out was a 400 black leather wheel w/o center stripe, black leather with red stripe is over $700. I listed all PN's in post #4. Sorry OP was looking for a full leather wheel, I wasn't following that you were discussing availability of an after amerce cf wheel. But again fro custom covering, in leather, alcantara, alligator or cf check with Craft Custom in Dallas, Mr Craft does excellent work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts