The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: Wow!

I visited friendly folks at Gator Motorsports yesterday and took their yellow GT demonstrator for a test drive. After following the Evora from the sidelines for 10 years, my expectations were pretty high. And the car exceeded them.

I have had a wide variety of performance cars so I had a pretty solid baseline for what to expect. I'd say the closest car I have owned to the Evora was the Honda Civic Type R. Don't laugh. The Civic was very usable as a daily driver and I found the Evora to be similar in comfort (actually its ride was softer than the R's softest setting) and noise, tho the Evora was much quieter inside. I had read it had a noisy cabin, but not compared to any of the other performance cars I have owned.

The Evora has a much bigger "boot" than I expected too, and it had loads of room behind the front seats. Forward and side visibility was excellent and even the rearward view was surprisingly good, thank to the window above the engine.

It sounds fantastic! I wasn't able to really get on it as it is not fully broken in and I was driving in a suburban neighborhood, but it it has a great throaty roar. It pulls hard too. With 100 hp more than my Type R had. Even more then my V8 M3 had, and with 500 less lbs to haul around.

I loved the auto transmission. I know devotion to the ancient stick-shift technology is expected of us sporty types, but I hate it. It's so easy to grab a wrong gear (go from 3rd to 6th), especially in the heat of the moment on the track, where all of my cars end up. And shifts were instantaneous, they felt faster and as direct as the DCT in my M3.

The hydraulic steering is excellent at communicating what's going on. Hitting the brakes was like hitting a wall, the car stopped now. The driving position is perfect, the seats are very comfortable, the steering wheel is adjustable, controls are logical and easy to operate. It didn't take the typical 30' instruction session with the sales person to know how to operate the car, it was basic, simple and user friendly.

It is hard to appreciate all of the curved surfaces in a picture, seeing it in person really adds a dimension that pictures don't capture. It is truly an exotic and holds its own with any of the six figure cars out there. Ditto the paint. It is so much deeper and livelier in person. This was true of all 3 Evoras at Gator, including a silver one that looked dull in photos but, in person, really popped and was my favorite color, trailed closely by the Nightfall blue version. And the entire car is covered in a clear plastic shield that offers paint protection that has to be added after purchase with most cars.

And it is so well engineered. It seems that all of the space under the well ventilated front "hood" is a gigantic heat exchanger, sending cooled water and oil back to the engine. And the rear engine compartment is also well ventilated. The supercharger itself has its own separate water cooling system.

I could see the legs of the built in tubular roll over bar in the rear engine compartment.

The result of the massive cooling effort is that the car is said to be trackable as is. No need to add oil cooler, radiator of venting upgrades. My Type R was good for 2-3 laps before overheating at the track. Hence its quick sale.

So why an Evora and not a Porche GT4? Well, the Porsche costs $10-20K more, tho I suspect it will hold its value better? But the Lotus seems so much more user friendly (tho I havent driven the GT 4 so my impressions of it are based on car magazines).

Or why not a Cayman GTS? Obviously everyone's tastes differ. But the Evora is truly exotic, the Cayman is a pretty common sight. I love how the Cayman looks, but I was stunned by how distinct and exciting the Evora appeared in person. It is mobile art. And tho there are cheaper cars that offer the same performance (Camaro SS 1LE, 'Vette, Cayman, etc.) the Evora is really one of a kind. And in all honesty, it seems to me to be underpriced, when the track-worthy functionality of the car is combined with its every day usability, and visual presence. I think of the Ferrari or a Mclaren as a step up, but not a lot else.

Did I buy it? No, came sooo close, but am still thinking about it:). I have too many other sporty cars to add another, but the plan is to slowly sell off the 2 track cars I have now and revisit the Evora.

·
Registered
147 Posts

… snip ...

Did I buy it? No, came sooo close, but am still thinking about it:). I have too many other sporty cars to add another, but the plan is to slowly sell off the 2 track cars I have now and revisit the Evora.
Come on, man - we don't believe any lies about selling off cars - just buy this one! What are you waiting for? :D

Kevin

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Don’t sell sports cars, find a space and buy another. What is in your collection?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome review the Evora is really a special car! It's one of few cars today that kept the traditional recipe for what makes a car great!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2003 Zetec powered Caterham track-only car (not street legal) and a '19 Miata Club that has been lightly track prepped. Both are a blast at the track. I suspect the Caterham would be as fast as the Evora on a tight track (it helps that its on race tires and the Evora is on (aggressive) street tires). Also have a tow vehicle and a trailer and a wife who drives a Volt and whose happy for me to get a Evora, but only if one or more of the other fun cars goes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I

I visited friendly folks at Gator Motorsports yesterday and took their yellow GT demonstrator for a test drive. After following the Evora from the sidelines for 10 years, my expectations were pretty high. And the car exceeded them.

I have had a wide variety of performance cars so I had a pretty solid baseline for what to expect. I'd say the closest car I have owned to the Evora was the Honda Civic Type R. Don't laugh. The Civic was very usable as a daily driver and I found the Evora to be similar in comfort (actually its ride was softer than the R's softest setting) and noise, tho the Evora was much quieter inside. I had read it had a noisy cabin, but not compared to any of the other performance cars I have owned.

The Evora has a much bigger "boot" than I expected too, and it had loads of room behind the front seats. Forward and side visibility was excellent and even the rearward view was surprisingly good, thank to the window above the engine.

It sounds fantastic! I wasn't able to really get on it as it is not fully broken in and I was driving in a suburban neighborhood, but it it has a great throaty roar. It pulls hard too. With 100 hp more than my Type R had. Even more then my V8 M3 had, and with 500 less lbs to haul around.

I loved the auto transmission. I know devotion to the ancient stick-shift technology is expected of us sporty types, but I hate it. It's so easy to grab a wrong gear (go from 3rd to 6th), especially in the heat of the moment on the track, where all of my cars end up. And shifts were instantaneous, they felt faster and as direct as the DCT in my M3.

The hydraulic steering is excellent at communicating what's going on. Hitting the brakes was like hitting a wall, the car stopped now. The driving position is perfect, the seats are very comfortable, the steering wheel is adjustable, controls are logical and easy to operate. It didn't take the typical 30' instruction session with the sales person to know how to operate the car, it was basic, simple and user friendly.

It is hard to appreciate all of the curved surfaces in a picture, seeing it in person really adds a dimension that pictures don't capture. It is truly an exotic and holds its own with any of the six figure cars out there. Ditto the paint. It is so much deeper and livelier in person. This was true of all 3 Evoras at Gator, including a silver one that looked dull in photos but, in person, really popped and was my favorite color, trailed closely by the Nightfall blue version. And the entire car is covered in a clear plastic shield that offers paint protection that has to be added after purchase with most cars.

And it is so well engineered. It seems that all of the space under the well ventilated front "hood" is a gigantic heat exchanger, sending cooled water and oil back to the engine. And the rear engine compartment is also well ventilated. The supercharger itself has its own separate water cooling system.

I could see the legs of the built in tubular roll over bar in the rear engine compartment.

The result of the massive cooling effort is that the car is said to be trackable as is. No need to add oil cooler, radiator of venting upgrades. My Type R was good for 2-3 laps before overheating at the track. Hence its quick sale.

So why an Evora and not a Porche GT4? Well, the Porsche costs $10-20K more, tho I suspect it will hold its value better? But the Lotus seems so much more user friendly (tho I havent driven the GT 4 so my impressions of it are based on car magazines).

Or why not a Cayman GTS? Obviously everyone's tastes differ. But the Evora is truly exotic, the Cayman is a pretty common sight. I love how the Cayman looks, but I was stunned by how distinct and exciting the Evora appeared in person. It is mobile art. And tho there are cheaper cars that offer the same performance (Camaro SS 1LE, 'Vette, Cayman, etc.) the Evora is really one of a kind. And in all honesty, it seems to me to be underpriced, when the track-worthy functionality of the car is combined with its every day usability, and visual presence. I think of the Ferrari or a Mclaren as a step up, but not a lot else.

I have been thrilled with my 2012 S. In 23 months I have been on 3 trips of over 2,000 miles, so I'm not just a "weekender". DO IT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts