The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
810 Posts
I take public transportation for my daily commute but otherwise I drive my 400 as my daily. For me, it's been fine as a daily. One thing that people have complained about is their car taking a long time to get fixed, I figured this would not be a problem for me as I'll do work myself. Now that I'm having an issue that requires Lotus diagnostics, I'm out of a car for the near future. It's making me rethink the idea of getting a Porsche.

The GT is not much stiffer.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Also quite relaxing on a thousand mile trip! Forget daily! Lond distance comfort is the ultimate bogey. It is so telepathic, it takes VERY LITTLE effort to drive so you never arrive tired. My RR requires more effort,.......big girl, wind......Evora just requires a finger on the wheel

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
116 Posts
I have a GT and I drive it daily. It handles the daily task very well.

But I think 400 may fit daily driving better. Because the cutout A panel(behind front wheel ) on GT causes the side of the car always dirty. And the cup2 wears out quite fast.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’d say you can absolutely daily a GT. It’s comfortable enough for short drives and long drives. I drove it home 4 hours straight with no issues. No issues with the clutch. Like others have pointed out if it needs body work or repair you can expect to be without car for a bit of time l. Also something to consider - when I daily drive my Evora in 2012 - parking. Parking it in the furthest spot at the grocery some dummies will still park next to you. And, it gets lots of attention and questions on what kind of Ferrari that is. That type of thing bothers some folks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a GT and I drive it daily. It handles the daily task very well.

But I think 400 may fit daily driving better. Because the cutout A panel(behind front wheel ) on GT causes the side of the car always dirty. And the cup2 wears out quite fast.
Also, ride height is already as low as I would want on the 400, GT is lower still.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Since they share the same suspension components, I would be curious to see actual measurements from the centerline of each wheel to the top of the fender openings. I suspect they are the same unless Lotus used some different type of spring perch that affects the ride height.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am a month into my Evora GT daily driver experiment. Coming from an F80 M3 I wasn't sure what to expect.

The Lotus is one heck of a car. Around town it is fun, but it really comes to life on the highway, on ramps, twisty roads etc. And you can really rip the gears and have fun yet not end up in trouble. The car is quick and engaging to drive but not stupid "go directly to jail" fast.

The clutch and 6speed trans are amazing. Better than my M3. High speed cornering is almost cartoonish. You can just rip around corners effortlessly at decent speeds.

The Evora is perfectly comfortable. One complaint is that I find my right knee /fibula bone does sit funny against the shift console area. My M3 had a factory installed pad to prevent this.

Also you'll need a sun visor extender, and seat belt shoulder pad. Otherwise the seats etc are great.

The rear blind spots take a little bit of getting used to. Same as a few of the quirks of keys, gas cap, etc.

Get a cup holder:

The USB is in the glove box. Sort of inconvenient. I haven't decided if I want to go wireless carplay or fabricate an in the console hook up.

MPG's will surprise you. Highway cruising you can get over 25.

Storage and daily use is fine. You can get a decent amount in the back seat area if needed.

Attention? Yeah it gets a lot of looks. I purposely didn't get a skittles color (even tho I love them) in an attempt to stay under the radar. But the car is bold and exotic looking no matter what color you pick.

Get carbon and 6 speed if you can, I think resale will be best with those options.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
188 Posts
I can't imagine the differences between the 400 and GT to make or break nom-track driving - unless your the kind of person to only buy the OEM tires at the dealer and pay install, in which case the cup2's may be a bad thing...

The 400 sees regular weekend drives of 300+ miles without issue. I mean, it's not a self driving cloud - but you weren't expecting that were you?

Probably the only thing I could see seriously mattering is the better headunit in the GT. But being standard double din it ain't exactly hard to swap the 400 to something even better than the GT's...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like stiff feel the road cars so I doubt then I would be put off by the Bihlstein change (appears there might not be, although brochure online describes different suspension between 400 and GT writeup) or the 5mm drop.

I usually like the best, that is why I am debating waiting to find a GT. Based on what I hear though, perhaps the 400 is pretty close to the GT in daily driving? (I won't be tracking the car ever)

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
810 Posts
I like stiff feel the road cars so I doubt then I would be put off by the Bihlstein change (appears there might not be, although brochure online describes different suspension between 400 and GT writeup) or the 5mm drop.

I usually like the best, that is why I am debating waiting to find a GT. Based on what I hear though, perhaps the 400 is pretty close to the GT in daily driving? (I won't be tracking the car ever)
If you are not tracking the car, you won't notice a difference between the two.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have questions on whether these can handle daily driving duties, go onto Instagram and track down @jp_hack. I believe he's also on here somewhere. He has (by now) probably close to if not over 50,000 miles on his GT. He drives it daily and everywhere. 👍👍 Dude is a legend!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also quite relaxing on a thousand mile trip! Forget daily! Lond distance comfort is the ultimate bogey. It is so telepathic, it takes VERY LITTLE effort to drive so you never arrive tired. My RR requires more effort,.......big girl, wind......Evora just requires a finger on the wheel
I’m with this one. I drove the cross country from Boston to California and then from California up to Vancouver Canada and then back down to California with the Evora GT. I have about 7000 miles on it since picking it up six months ago, despite a few other cars and only driving it on long road trips and weekend fun drives.

Great comfort!

One thing I want to point out though is that I do come across quite a few places where I have to angle the car quite aggressively to prevent scraping so if you are daily driving this, that can get really annoying very quickly depending on number of hilly areas or aggressive curbing in your area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts