The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen several threads regarding detailing recommendations, but just have a question about cars with Lotus Guard. I’ve got a ‘20 GT with Lotus Guard; is there a recommendation for washing & waxing that won’t hurt the appliqué? Thanks for the input...

·
Recent Lotus Convert
2020 Evora GT
22 Posts
To my knowledge, having had clear 3M PPF on another vehicle for 15 years, I treated it like paint. Sometimes I used a plastic bristle brush to clean off bugs quickly (which I would not use on paint), which did not bother the clear film. I waxed and polished it like paint. No issues/concerns, nothing special needed. Bugs can over time stain the film (think a month+, not a week). Age is an enemy to the clear film. After 15 years, it's still protecting the paint, but has visible cracks (not necessarily through cracks), stains, scuffs, it doesn't self-heal at all. The paint should still look good underneath, but it would be a bear to remove the film. It did it's job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know this of no help to the OP but II got their ppf film they install once the cars enter the usa. Big mistake. Bubbles, misalignments and then they literally scratched the paint in areas where they had to trim the film with a razor blade. More annoying than my axle seal leak but I just gotta move forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys. I’ll talk to my detailing shop about the ceramic coating.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,397 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd do ceramic coating after the clear bra is applied. Before I can understand, but after seems like a waste of time and money.

FWIW the advice above about treating it like paint is what I've always done.

San

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd do ceramic coating after the clear bra is applied. Before I can understand, but after seems like a waste of time and money.

FWIW the advice above about treating it like paint is what I've always done.

San
You do a paint correction before applying PPF. Even a brand new car should get a paint correction first. Then Apply PPF and the ceramic coating will give extra protection to film and also make the car much easier to clean and be hydrophobic

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Paint correction on a new car...and Lotus paint jobs are usually considered pretty damn good?? Really....? The paint on my 3 Lotus have been fabulous and durable..... MY god has detailing become OCD!!!!!!!!

Scott, I believe its got to be a condom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's no question my detailer has an eye for imperfections I don't have. The paint on my car was generally pretty good. But there was a strange spot where it appeared to be a little thin and transitioned to thicker. But otherwise pretty normal orange peel and on door panel that was amazingly smooth with no orange peel.

Here's the poor 'factory' installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had mine paint corrected and ceramic coated and it was the best decision.
The paint correction buffed out every imperfection and especially the "dealer optional swirl marks" on my black pack roof. He also trimmed any bad film better than I ever could.
As for the ceramic, it meets the hype. The car stays soooo clean and look fantastic.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I had mine paint corrected and ceramic coated and it was the best decision.
The paint correction buffed out every imperfection and especially the "dealer optional swirl marks" on my black pack roof. He also trimmed any bad film better than I ever could.
As for the ceramic, it meets the hype. The car stays soooo clean and look fantastic.
Dogtag, so did you paint correct, then PPF, and then ceramic over your PPF?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Factory PPF, on dealer lot for 2 years, bad swirls on black roof and some factory bad (dull) clearcoat areas.
Detailer trimmed and bad PPF, buffed and detailed car, then ceramic. Looks like a mirror still.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
There's no question my detailer has an eye for imperfections I don't have. The paint on my car was generally pretty good. But there was a strange spot where it appeared to be a little thin and transitioned to thicker. But otherwise pretty normal orange peel and on door panel that was amazingly smooth with no orange peel.

Here's the poor 'factory' installation. View attachment 1262452 View attachment 1262457
Your vehicle was damaged somewhere in the supply chain.

·
Illegal Alien
4,747 Posts
I've heard you should avoid carnauba wax.
No issue with any waxes other than the buildup along the films edge must be removed.

·
Illegal Alien
4,747 Posts
Dogtag, so did you paint correct, then PPF, and then ceramic over your PPF?
That is the correct order. PPF will not stick well to a previously ceramic coated car. The Ceramic goes on top.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Also if you have Ceramic coating on car applying reload after ever few washes really makes the shine pop again. Very easy to do, after washing and drying car just spray on a microfiber and wipe down car.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I know ceramic over PPF seems ridiculous, did to me too... from my experience the color of your car plays a factor. I had PPF only on my yellow car for many years, never cleaned off bugs right away, and worked fine.

On my dark gray car, went with PPF only too. I started to notice if you didn’t clean bugs off within a couple days, they’d start to etch into the film, and it started to look like permanent bug residue (turns out UV is the biggest culprit—you can go longer if you’re not in the sun). It got to be a pain trying to wipe bugs off after long drives. So then I ceramic coated the PPF to enjoy driving the car more and spend less time cleaning it.

So I suspect people with darker colors will notice ”bug etching” in the PPF more than light colors, and might be more inclined to ceramic coat the PPF.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have had ceramic coat over ppf in the past and I'm currently getting it now on my Evora.

What I often wonder about is a layer of high end wax or quick detail on top of the the ceramic? It seems to be loosing favor these days but quick detailer was a quick way to add additional gloss that would last a few days to a week at the risk of micro scratches. I dunno 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 25 Posts