The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find anything. I've read a lot of reviews saying lotus will ship to Europe, and the U.S. but I can't find dates and even if it will 100% be coming to america?

Does anyone have any info I couldn't find? It's a beautiful car!:clap:

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
I asked Kevin Smith @ the last LA auto show. He said likely but did not offer a definite date. I heard a $200k range from another source.

Btw the GTE sells in China for an equivalent of about $500k.

·
Registered
396 Posts
While I love my Evora more than life itself . . . if I have $200k to spend on a car, I'm buying a McLaren MP4-12C without a second thought. And if those were all sold out, I would buy a F-458.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
While I love my Evora more than life itself . . . if I have $200k to spend on a car, I'm buying a McLaren MP4-12C without a second thought. And if those were all sold out, I would buy a F-458.
At $200K, you won't be buying any 458's or McLaren...

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
At $200K, you won't be buying any 458's or McLaren...
I love the McLaren. I think it is a closer relative to the Evora than the 458, but then again I would not kick either out of bed:bow:
I drove a Italia and when you turn on th Navi the spedo goes away. i guess in the Italia knowing your precise speed doesn't matter, because no one is going to catch you:shift:
Well, maybe the McLaren, or GT-R, or LFA, or Veyron, or Nobel or the :panic:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Technically correct, but if you can go $200k, I think you can go $229k: McLaren prices MP4-12C at $229,000
Yes, agreed however that's base price which even if you ordered one at base, the market for 458's and MP4-12C's are well over MSRP so it now becomes closer if not well over $300K. At that point you have to ask yourself if $200K is not a bad price for the GTE. Personally, I believe the car should come in no higher than $150K, inclusive of options if there's any but that's just my opinion :shrug:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Going a bit OT here, but I gotta say MP4-12C just comes as a disappointment. Yes the price difference is huge, but still. Someone buying a McLaren cames to expect some sort of special character that sets these cars far apart from its competitors. But sadly it doesn't, not even close. The new one performs nothing like a the F1, and in fact was hugely disappointing in a back to back comparo Tiff Needell ran against the F458.

It's like this.. If you buy a Ferrari, you come to expect it to be a Ferrari through and through. Likewise, if you buy a Lotus--a GTE for that matter--you expect it to offer you the best Lotus has to offer.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Yes, agreed however that's base price which even if you ordered one at base, the market for 458's and MP4-12C's are well over MSRP so it now becomes closer if not well over $300K. At that point you have to ask yourself if $200K is not a bad price for the GTE. Personally, I believe the car should come in no higher than $150K, inclusive of options if there's any but that's just my opinion :shrug:
I agree.. The GTE may be a big step up from a standard Evora, at the end of the day it's a $124K trim option (going on the assumption the base price will be set at $200K). The question you then ask is what are you getting for the additional $124K? It doesn't have a unique engine--it's the same Toyota 3.5L 2GR-FE motor that's been ported and tuned to 444bhp. If I were to slice and dice the cost/markup--Lotus is asking an additional $50k for power improvements, another $50K for gearbox and suspension improvements, and the rest to upgrade the already-very light fiberglass body to CF (saving me a whopping 50 lbs, if that).

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Scotty, I *didn't care* for the MP4-12c initially. I mean...it isn't much to look at. Bland and well, just bland.

But from a geek's pov, it has some pretty cool stuff. Hydraulic actuators to replace mechanical roll bars (first in a production car?), priming the gear box via the paddles, a heave spring for the rear etc. I need to dig out that one blog I read a while back. It dissected most of the tech stuff.

Not that it matters, but besides Tesla, Mclaren is the another dealership in Palo Alto (geek HQ). :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
The new one performs nothing like a the F1
IMHO, that is not a fair comparison by a long shot. Totally different pricing tier and objective. The F1 was hardly a "production" car at all.

But factually you are correct - it doesn't perform as well as the F1. You could of course have a different color MP4 for each day of the work week for the same price as a single F1.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
IMHO, that is not a fair comparison by a long shot. Totally different pricing tier and objective. The F1 was hardly a "production" car at all.

But factually you are correct - it doesn't perform as well as the F1. You could of course have a different color MP4 for each day of the work week for the same price as a single F1.
True but if you can't get the enjoyment that you paid for, no amount of car can make up for that.

It's clear though that this car is not the car for Tiff. Other people may find the car is perfect. Tiff has always preferred traditional gearboxes, with a manual clutch, standard shifter, and no traction control. Much like the GT-R, the car's electronics is highly advanced and does not like being wrangled. I think that's what's going on in the video. The car is certainly very capable, and most likely designed more for the deep-pocketed than the highly skilled driver.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If they ever brought it stateside, my opinion is that folks will not pay any more than $160K. And still only us crazies that hang out here would pay that much for it. Most folks would just go out and buy an R8 at that price range.
Whatever price they bring it in at could hurt the Evora's image even more if it can't hang with cars in its price range.
The GTE is still underpowered. My vote is that they spend more development time on the Racing Evora's and keep funneling what they learn into a faster GTE before bringing it stateside.

·
Registered
498 Posts
LOTUS IS CRAZY 200K for an Evora GTE-eek-WTF are they thinking.TADTS They need to hurry up with the V8 Esprit.

New Lotus Esprit Technical Specification

Layout 2 seater, mid-engined, rear wheel drive
Engine Petrol
Cylinder V8
Capacity 5.0 litre
Power/Torque 620 PS / 720 Nm
Rev limit 8,500 rpm
0-100 km/h 3.4 seconds
Top speed 330 km/h
CO2 approx (CO2/km) 250 g/km**
Weight 1,450 kg
Seats 2
Transmission 7 Speed
On sale Spring 2013-14
Price approx £140,000

·
Registered
476 Posts
The GTE is way over priced. As other said, it's a 125k body kit. And I'll be surprised if the Esprit ever sees the light of day.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The GTE is way over priced. As other said, it's a 125k body kit. And I'll be surprised if the Esprit ever sees the light of day.
^ Esprit better happen if Lotus wants to move forward. If they start producing 200k GTE for all:panic:, then I think you could be correct.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Overpriced or not, lotus sold out 118 GTE for the Chinese market. Would be nice to see the GTE at the autoshows in NA for 2013. Unlikely our views here will change anything. I mean Lotus didnt even bother to federalize the new exige S!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts