The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to pick the resident "experts" brains on what's in store for the beloved Evora in the 2013 & 14 model years.

- Will they even be built after 2012?

- Convertible?

- Price trending upward or downward for new ones?

- Any other thoughts or speculations?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Wait for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Lotus is announcing 2 new Evora(?) models there

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I just read that on The Lotus Forums. Can it be a convertible finally? Oh please, oh please, oh please!

I read that they're supposed to be announcing two new LOTUS models, not necessarily EVORA models. If it's a topless, I would suggest that none of you stand between me and my closest dealership...........lest you get trampled.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah, I just read that on The Lotus Forums. Can it be a convertible finally? Oh please, oh please, oh please!

I read that they're supposed to be announcing two new LOTUS models, not necessarily EVORA models. If it's a topless, I would suggest that none of you stand between me and my closest dealership...........lest you get trampled.
I know the feeling. This is my first hardtop in 8 years. Im a convertible kind of guy.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Is it finally Esprit time??

·
Registered
396 Posts
I know the feeling. This is my first hardtop in 8 years. Im a convertible kind of guy.
I've owned 3 convertibles and enjoy them, but this is what bothers me about an Evora convertible:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For MY 13 there will be a redesign of the front fascia (this is not news it has been outright expressed by Lotus - Coco I think - that the front styling needed to be more aggressive). THere are no pictures available. I think it will look similar to that of the new Exige S (which has styling cues reminiscent of the Concept cars)

·
Registered
200 Posts
For MY 13 there will be a redesign of the front fascia (this is not news it has been outright expressed by Lotus - Coco I think - that the front styling needed to be more aggressive).
This is incorrect Kyle, simply speculation (that's was banded about for MY11 & MY12!).

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I've owned 3 convertibles and enjoy them, but this is what bothers me about an Evora convertible:

the convertible has been in the plan since concept some 5 years ago (thats one reason the evora is 2+2 so there is somewhere for the top to go)

the evora uses a re-enforced "roof" structure, unlike the elise. so yes, the convert. will not be as stiff as the coupe - as shown in that data from many years ago - what is unknown is if there has been some additional stiffing devised since then or to what extent its even really needed.

there has also allways been a "high performance, track special" version planed- wether the GTE (or some residual version from that exercise) is to be it or not, i do not know.) also the "true" flappy paddle transmission is yet to be done.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too, amigo. So how are you making out with the coupe then? Are you pretty satisfied or does the itch for open top motoring still gnaw at you?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There's no arguing the benefits of having a stiffer couple, BUT and for some of us this is a big BUT, the joy of driving a targa or convertible FAR outweigh the stiffness benefits of a coupe.

Here's a good analogy....or maybe not, but anyway......the Elise isn't the most powerful car in the world, but to me it was ridiculously fun to drive. It was open top as well, but still handled like a high-priced hooker.

:coolnana:

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For MY 13 there will be a redesign of the front fascia (this is not news it has been outright expressed by Lotus - Coco I think - that the front styling needed to be more aggressive). THere are no pictures available. I think it will look similar to that of the new Exige S (which has styling cues reminiscent of the Concept cars)
No doubt that the front fascia could benefit from wiping that damn grin off of it's face, but honestly the Exige S fascia is a little too over the top. Part of what I love about the Evora is its "classy and elegant sexyness" as opposed to something that's just a little "too much" like a Lambo for example.

So, while it'd be nice if they made the 13's a little more mean looking, I do seriously hope that they don't go overboard.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This is incorrect Kyle, simply speculation (that's was banded about for MY11 & MY12!).
The reason stated for the change may be speculation, but I have an order in for a MY12 car. I placed the order for the car in April - in anticipation a really long wait since I know others who had placed their orders in Sept 11 for a MY12 car and are just taking delivery now, and Lotus were in the midst of their well publicized slow down due to the DRB-Hicon take-over. Even while I was placing the order I was asked if I minded if the car was a MY13 and that the front fascia would be different. I was subsequently told the same thing by a source within Lotus.

I guess when MY 13 comes out we'll find out.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well fwiw, I talked to the dealer rep that I've been keeping in contact with. He just got back from Hethel recently and so I asked him if any of the Lotus boys over there alluded to a topless Evora in the future. Much to my disappointment his answer was a firm "no". DAMN IT!!!

On a side note, he said the new Exige looks absolutely amazing in person.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Wouldn't it be a lot less expensive for Lotus to figure out how to get the new Exige federalized than to build a convertible Evora? If a standard Evora is $75k more or less depending on options, a convertible would be at least $10k more - and these cars are not exactly selling like hotcakes. The main issues with the Elise/Exige were the engine emissions/airbag? (Did the bumper issue just go away?)

The 6 already meets air quality standards, so how hard could it be to buy someone else's two-stage airbag technology? Doesn't the Evora meet that standard?

I think they'd sell a lot more Exige's than convertible Evoras, at least until they get back on an even keel and get the brand image polished.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wouldn't it be a lot less expensive for Lotus to figure out how to get the new Exige federalized than to build a convertible Evora? If a standard Evora is $75k more or less depending on options, a convertible would be at least $10k more - and these cars are not exactly selling like hotcakes. The main issues with the Elise/Exige were the engine emissions/airbag? (Did the bumper issue just go away?)

The 6 already meets air quality standards, so how hard could it be to buy someone else's two-stage airbag technology? Doesn't the Evora meet that standard?

I think they'd sell a lot more Exige's than convertible Evoras, at least until they get back on an even keel and get the brand image polished.
Maybe but wouldn't you agree that the Exige caters to a different market than the Evora? I know that some have a beef with a topless Evora due to the loss of some structural rigidity. Being as track focused as the Exige is, would a topless one really sell at all?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I really like the current "unaggressive" front. I think Dany was looking to Italianize Lotus as much as possible. To my eyes the original form is great, flows well throughout.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Maybe but wouldn't you agree that the Exige caters to a different market than the Evora? I know that some have a beef with a topless Evora due to the loss of some structural rigidity. Being as track focused as the Exige is, would a topless one really sell at all?
I do agree. My point was to get something else into the US that might have a lower price point, and adhere at least somewhat to the Lotus ethos. They would need to improve the interior (I thought I read in some review that they had done that, at least partially), soften up the ride a little (I know, I know, but they need to sell cars to stay alive). As far as appeal, I also thought I'd read here or elsewhere that they were selling as many as they could make of the new Exige? I still think it would be less expensive to add 100 pounds of soundproofing and leather, and have a new car to offer, at a price that would be $20k less than an Evora convertible? They already have the IPS too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wouldn't it be a lot less expensive for Lotus to figure out how to get the new Exige federalized than to build a convertible Evora?The 6 already meets air quality standards, so how hard could it be to buy someone else's two-stage airbag technology? Doesn't the Evora meet that standard?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the problem with the Exige are the bumpers. They never complied with US regs, but were allowed due to a waiver. The waiver has expired, and no new waiver is forthcoming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts