The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I really need u guys Help.
My Evora (3months old with 6500Km) giving me same problem since day 1...
It sure happen every 1st ride of the day even after warming up the engine 5 to 10 min. The auto transmission from gear 3 to 4 since reluctantly want to up shift ( in D mode or paddle shift).....When i in gear 3 and holding the accelator for it to change to 4...it engine sound will sudden surge up (even without me pressing down the acclator more) and 2sec later it will shift up. After that everything is back to normal.... Most of the time it happen once( sometime thrice). The agent already help me change the ATF but it still feel the same.....I feel irrate by the problem coz it only happen on the 3 to 4 gear only......It shouldnt be this way...Please help me.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Hi guys. I really need u guys Help.
My Evora (3months old with 6500Km) giving me same problem since day 1...
It sure happen every 1st ride of the day even after warming up the engine 5 to 10 min. The auto transmission from gear 3 to 4 since reluctantly want to up shift ( in D mode or paddle shift).....When i in gear 3 and holding the accelator for it to change to 4...it engine sound will sudden surge up (even without me pressing down the acclator more) and 2sec later it will shift up. After that everything is back to normal.... Most of the time it happen once( sometime thrice). The agent already help me change the ATF but it still feel the same.....I feel irrate by the problem coz it only happen on the 3 to 4 gear only......It shouldnt be this way...Please help me.
I'm trying to understand you so sorry for the questions but are you saying that in auto mode whether using the paddles or not, it doesn't go to 4th right away? Or are you saying that it's not holding a 3rd gear long enough? Do you have IPS Sport?

If you're in regular auto mode whether using the paddles or not, it will not hold a gear as this is the way "regular" automatics on cars operate however if you have IPS Sport and are in sport mode using your paddles, it will allow you to hold a gear for no longer than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are you upshifting too early?
For example when you shift up and dropping the engine below stall speed

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the poor english.

No matter wat mode i am in, the gear change from 3rd to 4th will have a reluctance to upshift (not smooth) and there'll be a surge in engine noise before engaging the 4th gear. It is different from the normal upshift. There is no problem with the rest of the gear change.

I'm NOT using the sports mode where it'll automatically hold the gear.

This happens at least once a day, esp in the morning when engine is cold. But even after I warm up the engine(abt 10 min), this thing will still happen. Sometimes it happen during mid day, but the effect is not so obvious.

I hope u guys can understand. Seems like this problem exist in other evora too.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
I'm reopening this as I thought I previously saw this and now I have the exact same problem. I had noticed recently that on a cold morning that my 13MY "S" with IPS transmission would over rev for a moment and then shift. Since it went away quickly I figured it was a quirk.

I took the car to a track day and noticed some where in the 1st session that it began happening consistently.

Symptoms:

- When the IPS up shifted from 3rd to 4th gear, the car would rev an 1000 or so additional RPMs, hold it about 1 second, then made the shift.
- It occurs in no other gear gear up shift or down shift
- It occurs using the "automatic" Drive mode (shift as about 2200 rpm)
- It occurs in Sport mode and does it not matter what RPM when I hit it paddle for an up shift from 3rd to 4th.

This is annoying at best, but when you are at say 5500 rpm on the track that extra 1 sec of neutral is not good at all and you also get to see the warning shift lights on the dash! Not to mention the jolt you get when the 4th is engage and the wheels are going 1000 rpms slower than than the flywheel at the time of the shift. I did not want to have it engage the rev limited so I short shifted 3rd to 4th.

I thought maybe throttle body as maybe being on track shook something lose but if that is the case why only the 3rd-4th gear change and at any rpm of the shift.

If it is software (TCU), why did it go from a cold weather start problem to now all the time? Really interested in theories on this before I contact the dealer.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
This is called flaring and is a common issue with the IPS. It's a software glitch that Lotus has yet to come up with an answer for....as of 6-7 months ago at least...

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
This is called flaring and is a common issue with the IPS. It's a software glitch that Lotus has yet to come up with an answer for....as of 6-7 months ago at least...
Ok, it was a glitch when it was on the cold engine. If it's constant then it's a real warranty problem. :facepalm

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
Hit send too early. I checked and I got a code thrown at the track. I just checked and it looks like a P0137 was thrown. The engine light is now off "on it's own".

A code P0137 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Faulty o2 sensor Exhaust leak near the rear sensor
- Plugged catalyst
- Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
- High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit Engine running very rich or lean
- Engine misfire condition Fuel pressure very high or
- low - fuel pump or pressure regulator

Maybe a clue for some enterprising person? There has to be something mechanical to go from a once in a while problem to all the time. I'll take the car out tomorrow when it is warmer weather (60 degrees) and see if it still exists (the problem, not the car).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yes, mine does this as well. I believe Toyota solved this on their cars back in 08 or so as I recall. Lotus either cannot fix this or does not care to as it has been an ongoing problem since the IPS cars came out.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
For what its worth, my does the same thing when it cold and the engine hasn't warmed up yet.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes, mine (2012) kind of slides into 4rth when cold. I've got the latest ECU/TCU update as of yesterday. If I gas it, it will shift but if I'm not really on it, it sits between 3 and 4 for a sec. I've noted at two service visits. The service manager felt it and agrees. I wanted to ensure it was documented with them in case it turns into something bad later. Nothing really to address at this point but I worry about the future (like 2 days after my warranty expires).

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
Hit send too early. I checked and I got a code thrown at the track. I just checked and it looks like a P0137 was thrown. The engine light is now off "on it's own".

A code P0137 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- Faulty o2 sensor Exhaust leak near the rear sensor
- Plugged catalyst
- Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
- High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit Engine running very rich or lean
- Engine misfire condition Fuel pressure very high or
- low - fuel pump or pressure regulator

Maybe a clue for some enterprising person? There has to be something mechanical to go from a once in a while problem to all the time. I'll take the car out tomorrow when it is warmer weather (60 degrees) and see if it still exists (the problem, not the car).
Code P0137 means only one thing in Lotus speak.
O2 Sensor Low Voltage on Clyl Bank 1 Post Cat sensor.

Post cat sensor is measuring Cat efficiency not engine, ie it comparing af ratio into cat vs out of the Cat.. Not a big deal if track triggered.

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
Yes, mine does this as well. I believe Toyota solved this on their cars back in 08 or so as I recall. Lotus either cannot fix this or does not care to as it has been an ongoing problem since the IPS cars came out.
Is the TCU even from Toyota? I doubt it as Lotus custom programmed the unit and like the ECU that the TCU must talk to to blip the throttle, that is a custom EFI Tech unit out of Italy that Lotus programmed on top of the Magneti Marelli base program

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is the TCU even from Toyota? I doubt it as Lotus custom programmed the unit and like the ECU that the TCU must talk to to blip the throttle, that is a custom EFI Tech unit out of Italy that Lotus programmed on top of the Magneti Marelli base program
I am not sure Julian. You are probably right. All I know is that I have read that this transmission previously had the same problem in Toyota applications many years ago before Toyota applied a software update that completely remedied the rpm "flare" as I believe they called it. Whether that has anything to do with this TCU I don't know.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
I took it out on this nice sunny 70 degree day and same problem. I guess I'll suck it up and send the dealer a note and hope by magic that there is some solution already available. Good thing is it is completely reproducible. Bad thing is it might go into the shop and come out a lot later....

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
What I don't understand is there should be no "blip" on an up shift. If you are going to a higher gear, there should be just a gear change or if the revs are too low no gear change.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It feels like a worn on clutch on a manual where you step on the gas, rpm rises but no movement.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
235 Posts
Yes, mine (2012) kind of slides into 4rth when cold. I've got the latest ECU/TCU update as of yesterday. If I gas it, it will shift but if I'm not really on it, it sits between 3 and 4 for a sec. I've noted at two service visits. The service manager felt it and agrees. I wanted to ensure it was documented with them in case it turns into something bad later. Nothing really to address at this point but I worry about the future (like 2 days after my warranty expires).
Amen brother on the 2 days after warranty quote..... The fact that it is occurring on every up shift from 3rd to 4th definitely distracts from the driving experience.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I also get this on a cold engine usually within a 100 yard of initial driving. Yesterday, tried to being in sport mode and on manual shift and the "flaring" is still present.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine is random from 2nd to 3rd only (occurs about 40% of the time). I don't think it is temperature related. Taking the car out of storage tonight. Curious to see how it drives.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts