The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with an IPS gearbox....

When in Sport mode, are the gearchanges fully in your control ie. does it still automatically downshift if you are in a low gear and apply a boot-load of throttle?

My Jag XFR would remain in whatever gear you select (unless the last 5mm of travel, with a 'notch' is pressed), which was great for lazy overtaking using the torque.

I might be looking at getting an 'S' in the near future and this would be a deal-breaker, if the box still downshifted when under load, even without being asked to.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
You can use the paddles in or out of sport mode and it will automatically downshift for you if you don't do it yourself if you are beginning to slow down.

If you pound on the pedal, it won't automatically down shift for you if you are in paddle mode however you can be in sport mode and not use the paddles in which case it would downshift for you automatically if you pounded on the pedal.

Make sense?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Err, sort of :D

If you were cruising along at, say, 50 mph in 6th gear, sport mode having used the paddles and wanted to accellerate to 70 mph... if you jammed the pedal to the floor, would it down-shift or would it just grunt its way to 70?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sorry, I've only test drving the IPS a few time but I believe the answer is yes for about 30 seconds and then, without any further inputs from the paddles, the IPS will go back to full auto. Hopefully an IPS owner can confirm shortly.

Edit:
I found this:
Lotus Evora Long Term Test – Intelligent Precision Shift | The Lotus Forums

It’s worth noting that when in Sport, the car will only automatically select a gear when you come to a stop, it will put you in 1st but when not in Sport, the car will take over control of the ‘box if you don’t pull a paddle in 30 seconds, reverting to fully automatic again.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
If I am using the paddles, regardless if in Sport Mode or regular mode, if I don't use the paddles for a while (it could be 30 seconds - I never timed it), it automatically goes back to non-paddle mode but to activate the paddles again, all you need to do is press a paddle.

As for what happens when you are cruising along "in paddle mode" and mash the gas, I don't believe it downshifts for you. For me, i have always downshifted manually myself in preparation for hitting the gas hard but I will happily try it again this evening in the format you asked.

However, if you are in automatic mode, it will definitely downshift for you first but once again, even if in "paddle mode", if you've been cruising along for a while, it will automatically put you back in automatic mode so the overall point may be moot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with it reverting back to an automatic mode after 30 seconds if I was in Sport mode and had used the paddles.

The Jag would revert when in 'D' but never if in 'S'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My MY11 IPS N/A stays in manual mode indefinitely when in Sports Mode, even if you do not press the paddles. In normal mode it reverts back to automatic if the paddles are not used for more than thirty seconds.

Mu understanding is that the software was updated sometime after the IPS first came out to stop it from going back to fully automatic mode if the paddles were not pressed for a while.

It will still downshift automatcially in sports mode if you do not use the paddles. It does not kickdown in manual mode even if you stick your boot to the floor.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
947 Posts
My MY11 IPS N/A stays in manual mode indefinitely when in Sports Mode, even if you do not press the paddles. In normal mode it reverts back to automatic if the paddles are not used for more than thirty seconds.

Mu understanding is that the software was updated sometime after the IPS first came out to stop it from going back to fully automatic mode if the paddles were not pressed for a while.

It will still downshift automatcially in sports mode if you do not use the paddles. It does not kickdown in manual mode even if you stick your boot to the floor.
The MY13 IPS sounds like the same as the '11. When in normal mode, it is fully automatic. If a paddle is activated, the gear can be manually selected. However, I believe if the engine would stall or you hit red line, the transmission will still make the shift for you. After 30 seconds, the transmission will revert to full automatic mode.

In Sport mode, you can still be in full automatic. As soon as a paddle is activated, you now have full control over the gear. It will not revert to automatic mode and it will not upshift if you hit red line. To be honest, I don't know if it would let the car stall if you got to moving too slow; doubt it, but I'm not sure.

The car has pretty awesome sounding rev matching when down shifting in Sport mode BTW.:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
IPS paddles

If I am using the paddles, regardless if in Sport Mode or regular mode, if I don't use the paddles for a while (it could be 30 seconds - I never timed it), it automatically goes back to non-paddle mode but to activate the paddles again, all you need to do is press a paddle.

As for what happens when you are cruising along "in paddle mode" and mash the gas, I don't believe it downshifts for you. For me, i have always downshifted manually myself in preparation for hitting the gas hard but I will happily try it again this evening in the format you asked.

However, if you are in automatic mode, it will definitely downshift for you first but once again, even if in "paddle mode", if you've been cruising along for a while, it will automatically put you back in automatic mode so the overall point may be moot
If you are in sport mode and use a paddle, the car will only shift with a paddle - there is no timeout and revert to automatic. You remain in manual shifting only. The car will automatically downshift to 1st when you come to a stop. You then need to remember to shift with the paddles when starting up again, otherwise it remains in first. I've done this a few times - a bit embarrassing.

If you are not in sport mode and use a paddle, the car will revert to full automatic after a 30 second (or so) time out.

I also occasionally enjoy sport mode when fully automatic - do not touch a paddle. The car rev matches on the downshifts.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
It sounds like it does what the OP wants. Good.

Anyways, I'm really happy with my manual in the Elise. I had tried paddles in a mini Cooper rental and got bored with them after just 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I need to drive an IPS s...

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
So i just got back from a drive and here's the scoop.

When you are in Automatic Mode and you use the paddles, after a certain amount of inactivity it will automatically go back to automatic mode.

When you are in Sport Mode and "have activated the paddles", it will never go back to automatic mode. It will downshift automatically however, if you slow down too much so as to not stall out

When you are in Sport Mode with paddles activated and you punch it, it will NOT downshift. It will hold whatever gear you are in no matter how much the engine is struggling, which won't be for very long

When you are in Automatic mode, it will automatically downshift when you punch it.

Apologies for any confusion earlier but this should square it away.

PS - I'm driving a 2013 NA Evora

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

When you are in Automatic Mode and you use the paddles, after a certain amount of inactivity it will automatically go back to automatic mode.

When you are in Sport Mode and "have activated the paddles", it will never go back to automatic mode. It will downshift automatically however, if you slow down too much so as to not stall out

When you are in Sport Mode with paddles activated and you punch it, it will NOT downshift. It will hold whatever gear you are in no matter how much the engine is struggling, which won't be for very long

When you are in Automatic mode, it will automatically downshift when you punch it.

that is how it works as does PDK on the Porsche's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who have contributed!

It does sound like it does what I'd like it to do, after all.

Now for the million dollar question...on another thread....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

This exactly.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Thanks to all who have contributed!

It does sound like it does what I'd like it to do, after all.

Now for the million dollar question...on another thread....
the beauty is that they are only about a $80k question

1 - 16 of 16 Posts