The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have posted this in one of the mechanical forums but nobody seems to read those and they're pretty Elise-focused. Anyways. I bought a used Evora and it came with one key fob and no PIN written down anywhere.

Two questions:

1. This is dumb, but does any Evora key work in any Evora once it is programmed? I see a few fobs for sale on ebay that make it seem like any fob will work once programmed but that seems improbable/crazy.

2. Assuming I go to a dealer and order a second fob, will they be able to provide me the PIN for my car (so I can program the key) by looking up the VIN in the system?

Thanks!

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
863 Posts
A Lotus dealer should be able to provide you with the pin. It was a good thing I read the owners manual right after I got the car because the pin was written on a small cheap plastic plate and I almost threw it away. I'm not sure if the dealer will be able to get you an immediate answer on what your pin is, but they can contact Lotus and get it to you in a reasonable time. As for spare keys on eBay, the fob should be able to be reprogrammed, but only if the key is recut to fit the car. They all look similar, but I think like every car, they're different enough to not work like a universal key. I believe you can buy a blank blade from the dealer and they can have it cut to match your vehicle if you were to buy the fob elsewhere. I would contact the dealer first for pricing before buying anything from online.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would have posted this in one of the mechanical forums but nobody seems to read those and they're pretty Elise-focused. Anyways. I bought a used Evora and it came with one key fob and no PIN written down anywhere.

Two questions:

1. This is dumb, but does any Evora key work in any Evora once it is programmed? I see a few fobs for sale on ebay that make it seem like any fob will work once programmed but that seems improbable/crazy.

2. Assuming I go to a dealer and order a second fob, will they be able to provide me the PIN for my car (so I can program the key) by looking up the VIN in the system?

Thanks!
Regarding the key as an engineer would say RTFM, start at page 18 of the owners Manual and read to page 25, you can have up to 6 transmitters programmed per car (p24 refers), you will be able to obtain a PIN from a dealer but be prepared to take your car, car documentation and identification with you, the dealer should then be able to apply to the factory for the PIN. to avoid a wait just work out what the UK time is the dealer can contact the factory during their working hours and may avoid you having to go back:up:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi - I'm in the same situation and only seeing solutions for Elise/Exige owners. Did you have any luck getting another key made?

Two questions:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Hi - I'm in the same situation and only seeing solutions for Elise/Exige owners. Did you have any luck getting another key made?
If you just need a new fob, you can order a new one (with or without a key blank) from a dealer or online ( https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10055 ). Or, you can try to source a used one. Either way, you will have to program it to your car.

If you need an actual new key, you can order a blank either online (https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10057 ) or from your dealer and have it cut from your key code. You can also order a cut key if you have your code ( https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10056 ) If you do not have your key code, you can ask your dealer to provide it based on your VIN.

Instead of driving the 3 hour round trip to my dealer for a key blank, I contacted Maserati Lotus Greenville and provided them my VIN. They then confirmed my key code. I also had to provide proof of ownership with a copy of my registration and a copy of my drivers license. They then had a key blank cut and shipped it to me within a few days. I dealt with Robert Davies ( [email protected] ) who was a pleasure to deal with.

Robert Davies
Maserati Lotus Greenville
1450 Laurens Road
Greenville, SC 29607
(864) 255-3593 Office
(864) 235-3068 Fax
www.maseratilotusgreenville.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perfect, thank you so much for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

If you just need a new fob, you can order a new one (with or without a key blank) from a dealer or online ( https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10055 ). Or, you can try to source a used one. Either way, you will have to program it to your car.

If you need an actual new key, you can order a blank either online (https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10057 ) or from your dealer and have it cut from your key code. You can also order a cut key if you have your code ( https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=10056 ) If you do not have your key code, you can ask your dealer to provide it based on your VIN.

Instead of driving the 3 hour round trip to my dealer for a key blank, I contacted Maserati Lotus Greenville and provided them my VIN. They then confirmed my key code. I also had to provide proof of ownership with a copy of my registration and a copy of my drivers license. They then had a key blank cut and shipped it to me within a few days. I dealt with Robert Davies ( [email protected] ) who was a pleasure to deal with.

Robert Davies
Maserati Lotus Greenville
1450 Laurens Road
Greenville, SC 29607
(864) 255-3593 Office
(864) 235-3068 Fax
www.maseratilotusgreenville.com

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had an additional key made as well. Lotus dealer got me the key and Fob. Then directed me to a locksmith to cut the key. They also supplied me the PIN at Lotus

·
Registered
49 Posts
How much did this cost you from the dealer for the whole package? The new dealer in NJ let me know that they will have the equipment ready to go at the end of the month to do this. Just want to make sure that the price is competitive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The key blank was $140. Lotus doesn’t cut the key but they directed me to a reputable local locksmith who cut it, and gave me an extra non Lotus “dummy” key which would open the door and could even start the car using the pin.

I synched the key myself using the pin, but they would have had someone do it for me if I wanted for $100.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
$68 for keyfob and blank key from Deroure, and $0 to have a local locksmith cut it. He wasn't sure he could do it, but since they're the same as older Jaguar keys, he was able to and didn't charge me.

$0 to program it myself using the security code.

If anyone is in this area needing a key cut, this is the place I went to:

Keysmart
3600 Madison Ave #56, North Highlands, CA 95660

1 - 12 of 12 Posts