The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I have a question about maintenance for my Evora. I've owned mine for about 3.5 years - it's a 2013 NA. Doesn't have a lot of miles - maybe 11-12k right now.

Was scheduling an appointment for an oil change, when the guy says you should do the service, which includes a few things. So far I've only gotten oil changes (once a year because I rarely drive it).

Here's what the service would consist of - brake and clutch fluid flush, coolant flush, cabin and air filter replacement, gearbox fluid, and oil and filter change. He quotes this at $2775+ tax ($2337 for service & $437 for parts). Just FYI - the oil change by itself is $250.

Is it just me or does this seem high? Or is this reasonable? Do I need all of this right now?

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
If all you've done was oil changes up 'til this point, I think you are due for some additional service. Especially if you do not know if any other services were performed by the previous owner. And, if it was me, I would perform all of what he recommended (I'm very anal with my cars).

Lotus recommends coolant changes every 4 years. Brake and clutch flush are recommended every two years (although I would never wait two years to change brake and clutch fluid knowing that contaminated or compromised fluid can cause master cyl. issues/failures). Trans fluid is recommended every 4 years. As far as oil, it is recommended yearly and I would still do that yearly no matter what mileage I put on the car.

With that said, here are some quotes I've obtained from dealers for services:

oil change -$397.23 plus tax
coolant renew -$368.50 plus tax
brake and clutch fluid flush- $345.90 plus tax
gearbox fluid (labor only, they would be using my Redline MTL provided fluid)-$115.95
cabin filter is so easy to change, no one should ever pay someone to change it.

***Note that these are just quotes. Also note that other owners have commented in the past with higher quotes and some with lower quotes.

I've owned my car since new but it is only driven in fair weather with no driving in even the rain. My oil is changed every fall irregardless of mileage. My brakes/clutch fluid is also changed yearly (I only use Castrol SRF). I go 4 years for coolant changes (two changes so far). I also do quite a bit of my own work. But I do pay for some simple services merely to maintain a relationship with a dealer in case something fails that I cannot repair myself (like a failure that would require Lotus Tech Center software).

You do not mention where you are located or if you are using a dealer or independent shop, all of which can cause prices to vary widely. However, if you post your location, someone in your area may be able to provide additional information regarding the local dealers or any independant shops.

Hope this helps some....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
^^^^^^

What he said. Especially when you just don not know what a former owner might have done or not.

Be sure they go through the contortions to fully bleed the clutch. It ain’t easy but is quite important.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That sounds to high, I paid just under $3k for my Huracan for a similar service but that also included plugs

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Rape. Only thing that is time consuming is the coolant flush. Takes a long time to burp it afterwards.Even at $125/hr, it can't take more than 1 day. Do the math for an 8 hr day......Chrome was on the money... as usual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Here's what the service would consist of - brake and clutch fluid flush, coolant flush, cabin and air filter replacement, gearbox fluid, and oil and filter change. He quotes this at $2775+ tax ($2337 for service & $437 for parts). Just FYI - the oil change by itself is $250."
I bought a 2010 Evora with 31K miles in July. Shortly after it was delivered it went to the mechanic shop that's been servicing British cars for me for five years. I wanted to have a clean, known baseline to start with. They did all the work you describe above for $1400. Their shop rate is $114.50

·
Registered
172 Posts
I took my car in for some routine maintence and was quoted $9000 for brakes. Seriously? Not to mention over 50% brake pad left..... really?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I took my car in for some routine maintence and was quoted $9000 for brakes. Seriously? Not to mention over 50% brake pad left..... really?
I'm hoping that's $8800 for gold-plated rotors and pads, with an hour of labor. Regardless, total yikes, and would definitely go elsewhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's really high... I paid around $2500 last week for a complete fluid change (brake, coolant, oil, and clutch), replacing a TMPS sensor, replacing some interior parts, and replacing the clutch master cylinder... The replacement of the clutch MC was like $1500 by itself, without part cost, so whoever you got that quote from sounds like they are ripping you off to me.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
That quote is Very High.

I paid $621 for Oil and Filter-I supplies M1 and TRD Filter; Clutch and Brake Fluid flush-I supplied SRF; and Cooling system Flush at Lotus of West Covina.

Not knowing the history, I would recommend doing all of those fluid replacements recommended; maybe skipping the cabin filter if you don't drive much.

Mobil 1 is good for 5K miles; SRF Brake fluid is good for 2+ years; Coolant 4-5 years; Transmission fluid 4-5 years.

I usually do my own oil/filter and trans fluid changes- VERY easy. The Brake fluid flush requires the Proprietary Lotus Computer if you want to open the anti-locks in the calipers; otherwise easy to just bleed the calipers. The clutch is difficult to get to the bleeder. The coolant flush is messy, so I leave that to the Dealership/repair shop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As we say in the UK. Someone's taking the pss.

Nothing on the Evora standard service is that difficult. None of the parts or fluids are that expensive.

Take it to a good mechanic who doesn't see the Lotus badge as a dollar sign.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes I agree it was an absurd number. I think I’ll probably just do it myself when the time comes. I’ve done pads before on another car, and rotor replacement is pretty straightforward. I have a guy that works for me who did it with me so when it comes to that, I’ll buy my own parts and tackle it myself. The other routine maintenance price was fair enough IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
I'd report that to BBB. Blatant fraud!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, all. Yeah, it struck me as ridiculously high for fluid changes.

This is from Boardwalk Lotus (in Redwood City, CA). The funny thing is, their oil changes are actually quite reasonable at $250 and less than Lotus of SF would charge me. Sounds like I should just stick with the oil change there and find another place to do the rest of the work.

·
Love Lotus!
118 Posts
I just got a full service done which included brake/clutch fluid, coolant flush, oil/filter change, and gearbox oil for $783. I do the engine and cabin air filters myself. Normally I do the oil change myself as well, but decided to have the shop do it this time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think you should find a new shop.
I’m in LA and won’t pay more than half your quote. Every year motor oil (I find castrol is best), and brake fluid. 4 years coolant (just did for $120). Air filter is couple hours at most (put K&N and you’ll be fine for 30k miles at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
For that money, you should at least get a fresh jar of Vaseline.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts