The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and in the process of buying a 2011 Lotus Evora (my first Lotus) and this car, while in excellent condition, has a MFR buy back title.

I discussed with the seller and he provided information that indicates the buyback was due to door latch fitting and latch mechanism assembly. In addition, gear cable-crossgate is listed. I understand that Lotus had a liberal, not-many-questions-asked buy back program. A few questions:

1. I would think the type of problem would dictate the answer to this question, however, Does a MFR buy back warranty materially affect the car value?
2. Were door latch fitting and assembly common problems, and does it make sense that Lotus would buy back for this defect?
3. What is meant by gear cable-crossgate fix is this replacement or repair?

Thank you- Fred

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the Lotus family! I doubt a manufacturer would buy back a car because of faulty door latches. The gear cables/shifter linkages however were a common issue in those early year Evoras which I believe they later found a fix for. I would get a thorough PPI before buying the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wirewheel the seller?
The car has two cables between the shifter and trans that work the gear changes, One is called the gear shift cable (front to back) and the other is the cross gate cable (side to side). Without more info I'm guessing both cables were replaced.

Get the VIN and search it, might give you some more info

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
1- This is a bit "it depends" but generally any branding on a title will deter some buyers, making an already small pool of buyers (us Lotus types) even smaller. Maybe it impacts price, maybe not, there's a lot of "depends." It will certainly impact value if you don't have documented proof of the issue and fix from the dealer/manufacturer. (btw, the Ford RS had a huge number of buy backs - look at their values, used vs MFR buy back as a possible guide to the delta)

2- I don't know, but I trust the other responders regarding gear cable being the bigger issue.

3- see @NumberSix reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wirewheel the seller?
The car has two cables between the shifter and trans that work the gear changes, One is called the gear shift cable (front to back) and the other is the cross gate cable (side to side). Without more info I'm guessing both cables were replaced.

Get the VIN and search it, might give you some more info
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, Wirewheel is the seller. I do have VIN, is there a specific site I should search.

Again, thank you - Fred

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
1- This is a bit "it depends" but generally any branding on a title will deter some buyers, making an already small pool of buyers (us Lotus types) even smaller. Maybe it impacts price, maybe not, there's a lot of "depends." It will certainly impact value if you don't have documented proof of the issue and fix from the dealer/manufacturer. (btw, the Ford RS had a huge number of buy backs - look at their values, used vs MFR buy back as a possible guide to the delta)
I was under the impression that the Focus RS had a (relative) ton of buybacks because of very questionable inital build quality leading to large numbers of non-fixable issues? The fact that the flat-out wrong headgasket was used in a production run of the cars being the widely-known exemplar of these issues.

I'm not super experienced with Evoras, but I'm not familiar with widespread issues with the cars, which might suggest that this particular vehicle might have some more serious issues? On the other hand, I'm also led to believe that Wirewheel is extremely reputable when it comes to restoration of salvaged Lotuses (so if anyone is able to fix serious issues outside of the OEM, it would be them).

Reactions: carphoria

·
Registered
223 Posts
I own a 2011 that was originally bought back by Lotus because of California Lemon laws. Often this buybacks are forced -- some important part is faulty and backordered for several months and the car has to wait. Once the car has been parked for the waiting period (90 or 180 days or more) the manufacturer is obligated to buyback. I bought an Evora new once and it sat for 4 months, waiting on new dash upholstery. My buyback car had a very small electrical fault, but sat for a long time.

1) It depends on the buyer. For a 2011, probably not. The 2010-2011 cars already sell for a significant discount because of real and perceived, mostly perceived, defects. We are starting to get to the point where it matters very little. A "collector" doesn't want a branded title, but a collector doesn't want a 2011 either. The car is worth $28-32k.

2) Yes. The door latch is a pain to fix properly and parts may not have been available. My car had an even smaller defect.

3) Some 2011 cars have an a shifter cable that was updated during the model run. The old ones suck and shift slow. The newer ones suck slightly less. The series 2 cars (2017+) have a better mechanism. Consider this a factory update.

donour

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
"Thanks for your note with interest in our 2011 Lotus Evora. According to the previous owner, the manufacturer buyback was for the dash issue that some of the early cars had with the leather shrinking. He told us that the dash was completely replaced with a new one by the Lotus dealer in MI, Auto Europe.
I currently have a call in to Lotus Cars, USA, to try and get more details on this.
Are you planning to keep your Elise or selling or trading it?"

Could be he found out the information and turns out it was the door latch fitting and other thing, but the dash may have also been replaced...Was looking to buy this one, was still waiting on a email with the reply from Lotus.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Ask yourself, are you a driver or collector? If you plan on driving the car to higher mileage, it won't matter at all in the long run. If you think you are buying a garage queen, you want a 12+ car anyway. The 10-11's drive 100% as well, they just weren't buttoned up quite as nicely due to supplier issues....however the Recaro seats are VASTLY superior IMHO to the Sparcos.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@DannyTheDonk That checks out. Almost all 2011s have faulty dash leather and back in 2011-2012 the wait was months. Auto Europe checks out too, a lot of buy back cars are sold there because they are close to the a Lotus North America office. They probably have records on the car if you call them. Ask for the sales manager.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wirewheel are very knowledgeable about these cars and straightforward to deal with . They have rebuilt more Elises than anyone in the country and seem to have a steady stream of Evoras in stock including some rebuilds. They have a good reputation as dealers in sports and race cars. They will have gone over the car and while they won't be looking to do unnecessary work if something wasn't right they would have fixed it or be willing to discuss it. Its been used but is still pretty low mileage. It looks like a solid car to me.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
A buy back or anything that indicates there was an issue, just like a prior accident will effect the resale value of the car. How much? No idea, but considering the niche of this car and very limited audience, I don't think the issues you mentioned (that were corrected) will have much impact on resale. If I had to guess, maybe $500 deduction at best? At least you know Lotus did the work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buy-back... covert name for LEMON. $500 is nothing close to the discount people will assume once that word passes their brain. >=20%

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
It is a branded title.
In 20 years there will be no difference in value between a car you bought today with 20k miles or 50k miles
But this car will still have a branded title.
The decrease in value for a salvage title car is 'unfair' as many are in better shape than non salvage car[hey they got a new paint job]
But it is a branded title.
No longer is it listed as 'clean title'
There is always a story
You buy it for less, you sell it for less
Me?
I'd buy one in a heartbeat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wirewheel are very knowledgeable about these cars and straightforward to deal with . They have rebuilt more Elises than anyone in the country and seem to have a steady stream of Evoras in stock including some rebuilds. They have a good reputation as dealers in sports and race cars. They will have gone over the car and while they won't be looking to do unnecessary work if something wasn't right they would have fixed it or be willing to discuss it. Its been used but is still pretty low mileage. It looks like a solid car to me.
Thank you. I just received the car yesterday, the car is fabulous and it's pretty spot-on as described by Wirewheel. They were very pro to deal with, I'd buy a car from them again.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Smart man!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2014 S was a buy back for an interior rattle. I have the explanation from Lotus USA. the guy was a lawyer and used his knowledge to get Lotus to buy it back. 17 months in and my car is solid. no interior rattle other than normal noise. I don't plan on letting the car go so I could care less. Now I did get a PPI from a Lotus dealer before buying. I actually have had less common problems than others in most cases. Yes, be careful and get a PPI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts