The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the things I appreciate about the Evora is that even though the design is aggressive, it has a purpose. That purpose of creating downforce for grip is what really separates these cars in feel and performance from Porsches, BMW, etc. Imo

It took a while but I finally found the downforce numbers for an S1 car to go with other models. All numbers are achieved at max speed.

Evora S: Front 13.2 lbs Back 22.05 lbs

Evora 400: Front 16.4 lbs Back 44.1 lbs

Evora GT: 141 lbs total. Lotus does not specify front/back distribution.

Evora GT430 Sport generates up to combined (220.4 lbs) 100 kg of downforce at 196 mph, some 56% more than the Evora Sport 410.

The Evora GT430 generates up to combined (551.1 lbs) 250 kg of downforce at 190 mph.

Porsche numbers are hard to come by, but a stock 911 Turbo 996/997 get 20lbs rear only at max speed. You need a GT2 or 3 to get serious downforce. The BMW numbers I found are small and only on the highest level M cars. A lot of supercars I found like Lamborghini actually produce lift in the nose and moderate rear downforce at high speeds. Lotus cars are very unique by producing real downforce on both axels!

Side note: To give you an appreciation for the McLaren Senna, it generates 1765 lbs of downforce at 155 mph.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Great info and Thank you. This is an UBER post IMHO!!

·
2006 Exige
703 Posts
Porsche numbers are hard to come by, but a stock 911 Turbo 996/997 get 20lbs rear only at max speed.
The Sport Auto supertest throws all of the cars in a wind tunnel. sport auto - auto motor und sport I used to scour those tests to compare cars. Around the time the S2 Elise was brought to the US, there were almost no cars with positive downforce front and rear. Not even supercars. Many high HP cars at the time had front downforce and rear LIFT which would make for a very interesting high speed turn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I updated to include more rare models of the Evora, or rare to NA. @AZelise that's a whole other interesting conversation on the purpose of downforce on roadcars. I spend to much time obssesing over cars not to try and make the knowledge into something more informative and will start that discussion later.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Yea but you support what I have been saying for years. At high speeds all my Lotus have been the most stable cars I have ever owned. Some cars were downright scary above 125 like my 99 SVT Cobra for example.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's right, the high speed stability and cornering is where it makes a difference. Downforce on road cars doesn't really effect it until you hit about 90. But that's really the selling point of a Lotus. It really is comfortable, low maintenance, and very usable compared to other exotics, but also has the right aero and suspension to be stable on a race track.

·
Illegal Alien
4,771 Posts
One of the things I appreciate about the Evora is that even though the design is aggressive, it has a purpose. That purpose of creating downforce for grip is what really separates these cars in feel and performance from Porsches, BMW, etc. Imo

It took a while but I finally found the downforce numbers for an S1 car to go with other models. All numbers are achieved at max speed.

Evora S: Front 13.2 lbs Back 22.05 lbs

Evora 400: Front 16.4 lbs Back 44.1 lbs

Evora GT: 141 lbs total. Lotus does not specify front/back distribution.

Evora GT430 Sport generates up to combined (220.4 lbs) 100 kg of downforce at 196 mph, some 56% more than the Evora Sport 410.

The Evora GT430 generates up to combined (551.1 lbs) 250 kg of downforce at 190 mph.

Porsche numbers are hard to come by, but a stock 911 Turbo 996/997 get 20lbs rear only at max speed. You need a GT2 or 3 to get serious downforce. The BMW numbers I found are small and only on the highest level M cars. A lot of supercars I found like Lamborghini actually produce lift in the nose and moderate rear downforce at high speeds. Lotus cars are very unique by producing real downforce on both axels!

Side note: To give you an appreciation for the McLaren Senna, it generates 1765 lbs of downforce at 155 mph.

Numbers for Sport 410 were 141 lbs at 150 mph. Additional downforce numbers need to be unitized to say 100 and 150 mph for a more straight forward comaprision, very easy to do as the force varies as the sure of the velocity. So at. 150 mph: GT 430 is about 360 lbs vs Sport 410 141 lbs, GT w/o wing is actually similar to the 410

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Numbers for Sport 410 were 141 lbs at 150 mph. Additional downforce numbers need to be unitized to say 100 and 150 mph for a more straight forward comaprision, very easy to do as the force varies as the sure of the velocity. So at. 150 mph: GT 430 is about 360 lbs vs Sport 410 141 lbs, GT w/o wing is actually similar to the 410
Those calculations would be very useful to determine where downforce becomes noticeable. I simply went on factory quoted numbers for validation purposes.

Also, it should be noted GT430 and GT430 Sport is not a typo. They are two different trim options, the GT430 has maxiumum downforce, and the GT430 Sport version comes with some of the more aggressive downforce elements removed and therefore has less.

·
Illegal Alien
4,771 Posts
Those calculations would be very useful to determine where downforce becomes noticeable. I simply went on factory quoted numbers for validation purposes.

Also, it should be noted GT430 and GT430 Sport is not a typo. They are two different trim options, the GT430 has maxiumum downforce, and the GT430 Sport version comes with some of the more aggressive downforce elements removed and therefore has less.
Yes the 430 Sport and GT410 are identical aerodynamically, without big GT430 splinter, wheel arch vents and rear wing. Sport 410 would be similar to GT410 except different nose and tail, while USA GT is a hybrid with Sport 410 nose and splinter, GT430 wheel vents, and GT rear end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the 430 Sport and GT410 are identical aerodynamically, without big GT430 splinter, wheel arch vents and rear wing. Sport 410 would be similar to GT410 except different nose and tail, while USA GT is a hybrid with Sport 410 nose and splinter, GT430 wheel vents, and GT rear end.
Julian, you may have an answer to this then. What about replacing S1 front bumpers with a 430 bumper, etc. Will this increase the downforce to the levels of the model you swapped it for?

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Great info. For the 400, is the front number possibly 26 lbs (12 kg) rather than 16? I saw 26 in a few articles, and that would fit with many articles that said the GT produces twice the down force of the 400 (26+44=70 for the 400; the GT is listed as 141).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts