The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy an exige s (06-10) or elise (05-06) bc they are holdint value like crazy in the US. the one i wanted a year ago with 3k miles. Now has 3800 miles and is for sale for 3k more and has offers higher than that already... i just dont know anythint about rhe evora market but ill have $50-60k to blow on one. At a the right price. 25k cash and already have a 1.9% loan for the rest. Using the banks money to break even or make money...like i do in real estate. Im just not sure if the evoras production rate is higher than the other 2..like 2013-2014 model wise

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Tough question to ask. All are great cars! I think it just comes down to your own needs and preference. With the budget you have, you can choose any one of them. Or even have 2 Elises lol. I say do some more research between the 3 models and see what best fits you. Lots of information can be had here on the forums. Does the production rates matter in your decision on which model to purchase? Can't go wrong with any them. GLWS

Gabe

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
You do not borrow money on a car to make money. Sometimes you do, but usually it is an accident.

The value of cars is a mystery to most, if rarity was the key, Lotus' would be much more valuable.

Buy the car you want, not the car that you think will increase in value.

If you want to make money, stick to real estate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fair enough. So should i pay cash for it then? I've always been told to not tie up cash in a car if possible bc you can't really do much with it at that point. Maybe that's my investor pple talking but i do usually pay cash but if i plan on owning it for 2 years i don't really see the point when the interest is under $600 the first 1-2 years. Evora would be ideal because i plan on daily driving it but maybe ill lean more towards early driving the next one i plan to buy.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Why pay cash?

Because in 1 to 2 years you will not find yourself leaving the car unlocked in a bad neighborhood because you owe more than it is worth

Go write 200 times on the blackboard, "cars are not an investment"

Look I borrowed money to buy my first Lotus, and I was 21

But I still own it 35 years later

Evora values are still in the 'dropping like a stone' section of their depreciation curve.

Elise values did the same thing

Then they stopped importing them

Absent competition from new cars, Viola, the prices rebounded.

If you happened to buy a used Elise before, what 2013 maybe, and didn't drive it, and didn't let anyone crash into it, you might make money

well, if you don't count insurance, and interest and maintenance.......

We cannot predict Evora values because we do not know what Lotus is doing with the Evora.

The Elise is a pretty unique vehicle, so there is no competitor in that market to compete with a used Elise, that is not particularly true of the Evora

·
Loves to talk
1,051 Posts
At around 60K (and with patience) you could perhaps snag a great deal on a used Evora 400, a car you can enjoy in more settings than any other Lotus, and possibly even one with remaining warranty and less wear on the systems. Right now you're only 15K away from a new 400. With patience in perhaps less than a year one could score a 400 still under warranty and with relatively low mileage and less age.

The situation won't exist forever but if I was in the market today, that's what I'd be hunting for.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I own both but if I were to only own one...maybe the Elise. If it was my only car...Evora. So it really depends on your needs I guess. My Evora is my daily but I don't commute to an office so its my "run around in" car. Elise is my summer/sunny day car. Both are fun!

Now that I wrote that, I don't know....I love them both too much to choose! See how much help I am? I would say try to go for a spin in each one of them, then make your decision. Have you even got that far yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts