The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just passed the one-month mark of ownership a bit ago and thought I'd post my thoughts and experience. Why? Well, because I think I may be a bit unlike many owners, reviewers, and potential buyers of this car. I have no experience in similar cars. The closest I've been to a Corvette is a car show. I sat in a Ferrari California once at the dealership where I got my Evora. I stood next to a Porsche Boxter once. I have no experience with any cars from Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, Lexus, Mazda, Aston Martin, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Corvettes, Vipers, Muscle cars, etc. Other than my 5 Lotus cars, I have no credibility when discussing the merits and benefits of my Evora compared to actual sports cars. I've never tracked. I've never stoplight raced. When people egg me on at stoplights, I pretend they're not there. When people are interested in the car, I engage friendly conversation with them.

So my opinion on a car of this class probably matters little to most, but just in case there's the potential buyer that is looking at this car for the same reasons as me, I'll tell you that it's amazing! Since I got my first car 16 years ago - a 1968 Ford Falcon - my "every day" car has been unique. My next DD was a 1980 Triumph TR7. After that is when I got into Lotus.

What's important to me? For some reason I have to have a unique car. Something that can help define me and not be a part of the crowd. A car has to have personality and communication such that I know what it's doing, how it's feeling, and whether or not something is amiss. It has to drive me every day - no garage queens or fair weather friends here. It needs to be gorgeous, sleek, and eye-catching. My car has to be precise. I like exactness; no slop, no excuses. I want something quick, but don't need blinding speed. Last - and I'm sure this will be controversial - the car has to be affordable and maintainable. I'm a regular dude that goes to work every day, works hard, and does a damn good job at it. I have no fortune or investments or rich uncle. My family are farmers from Wyoming. If you want unique, you pay more. If you want precision, you pay more. The price of Lotus cars are the most affordable to me given those criteria. These are the reasons I'm drawn to Lotus.

I have about 2,200 miles on the car since receiving it February 12th. I have only had 2 or 3 "nice" days of driving; the rest have been endless rain and snow. This is a very capable car and I can use it in every situation except hauling large items. My family of 3 can (and do) go out to dinner, the mall, grocery shopping, grandma's house, and whatever else comes up. It's smooth, quiet, comfortable, quick, smells nice (still new :)), has a great radio, and has a pleasant growl when my kid asks me to "vrumm the car please daddy".

This post was encouraged after I drove my wife's car a few days ago to pick up two large boxes. This is a perfectly adequate 2010 Toyota Matrix which, on February 11th, was a great car - quick, sporty-ish, comfortable (upgraded to leather), great sound, good steering, and good brakes. After driving the Evora for a month and then going back to the used-to-be-fine Matrix, it really dawned on me how exceptional the Evora is.

My Observations
* The drive is of course fantastic, but that's been spoken of to death.
* Blind spot visibility is much better than I anticipated. This is no sedan of course, and maybe it's because I had an Elise prior, but I feel like I can find all the blind spots easily from the mirrors and rear side windows.
* Snow/wet performance is excellent. I feel more confident in the Evora than my AWD Matrix.
* Great stereo. iPod integration is nice, stereo sounds much better than the premium sound in the Matrix.
* Transmission is a little loud. I don't know if it's because the car is so quiet or what, but it makes more noise when shifting that I'd expect. Much of it sounds like what others on the forum have described, including the occasional 2nd gear shifting "hiccup". It seems much happier if you rev a little higher and shift a little faster. Seems that if you take it too easy the engine revs down too slow and the drivetrain has to compensate for the difference in engine vs. transmission speed or something.
* Shifting is a little stiff when the car is cold (30 - 50 degrees F); fine once warmed up.
* Car has a little less grunt under 2k revs than I hoped for. Really wakes up at 3k though.
* I originally ordered the non-sport gearbox for the regular commute (changed my mind and got sport), but I can see that the non-sport would be a little too long and outside the power band of the engine on the freeway, necessitating a switch to 5th or 4th to pass cars. Sports box is fine for casual passing at freeway speeds in 6th.
* Alpine INA-W900 seems easy to use, but the nav locked up on me twice (rest of it worked fine). First time I reset it and it was good for awhile. Second time I downloaded the latest firmware update and installed it and it's been fine since.
* Bluetooth hooked up perfect and works great, although I can't figure out how to make a call from the head unit. Have to initiate the call from my phone, but then it goes through just fine. The other end can just barely tell I'm on a "speaker phone".
* Lack of dead pedal doesn't bother me.
* No leaks inside the car or trunk. Even when opening the trunk when it's covered in rain/snow the water falls down all around, but not inside the trunk. The only leak I've noticed is on the engine side of the glass separator window behind the rear seats.
* I have yet to push the Sport button, floor the throttle, or even see the rev limiter lights go on. It's plenty quick for me so far, but clearly I haven't driven it to its potential.
* Cruise control works great and as I expect, once you figure out which buttons do what.
* Seat heaters work nice and warm up quick.
* Everyone that's been inside (myself included) loves the interior layout and feel. It's cozy and comfortable up front, but you don't have to make love to your passenger like in the Elise. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)
* My brakes are still squealing, even after 2,200 miles. Thought they'd be bedded in by now.
* My extra tall 3 year old fits decent in the back seat with a booster and with Mom sitting in front of him. The law says he has to have a booster until he's 57" tall when using an adult seat belt. I'm not sure the rear belts could be called "adult" seat belts, but I don't know how/where I'd go to ask an authority if he can sit without a booster. He fits better without the booster because the booster raises his knees high enough that they meet the seat where it starts to curve back outward.
* Although it says the trunk is 50% bigger than the Elise (6 cubic feet vs. 4 cubic feet), I don't buy it. It's much harder to pack things in there versus the Elise. It's much shallower.
* Speaking of the Elise, for my intents the Evora is better in every way except two: fuel economy and convertible. It is really a spectacular car. Where I live there are only 5 days you can drive with the top down anyway, so the convertible isn't that big of a deal. But on those five days, I'll miss the Elan/Elise. I'll gladly take the quiet, dry, smooth ride for 360 days to sacrifice the 5 convertible days.
* Acceleration, cornering, and body roll are so much better than my Elise was (touring pack, non sport). I've only test driven a tricked out Exige, so I'm not sure how it'd compare there, but it is significantly better than the Elise. Yet it doesn't feel 1,000 pounds heavier at all.
* Car's MPG-o-meter seems pretty accurate. My calculated MPG over 2,200 miles is 25.2; the car's mileage is 25.7. A little lower than I hoped, but I am driving in the winter with snow tires on so it may not be representative yet.
* For those interested, my car arrived with 15 miles on the clock, delivered to me with 24 miles.
* After sales service performed at 1,000 miles exactly. Fastest 0-100km was 15.8 seconds. How embarrassing. That's been rectified now. :)
* My wife fits in the back seat at 5'4" without her head hitting the roof.
* I've scraped the front on driveways 4 times already. Not much damage at all, but the little rubber bumper things under the front really don't seem to help. Much better clearance than the Elise, but still gotta take things at a good angle.
* Windscreen defogger is awesome. The button should be labeled "category 5 hurricane". Whole window is cleared up within seconds.
* iPod hookup is handy, along with the net to hold it in place.
* Dampened glovebox is small - so much so that the owner's manual has to go in the trunk - but at least the registration and insurance stuff fits, unlike the Elise.
* My understanding is that the 2010 cars do not include a tow hook to screw into the front. Mine came with one.
* The intake meshes are much easier to clean around than the plastic slats on the Elise.
* Speedometer seems to be reading a little optimistic by as much as 5 - 8 mph. The nav system has the dashboard function which shows calculated speed and that seems to confirm my observations, but others have told me that the nav calculations (in other cars) are always off. It could also be because I have snow tires which may be a different diameter. Will reassess once I get my summer tires back on.
* Burnt Orange is a great color on this car, but hard to capture in a photo (or even in your own memory). It changes so much depending on lighting conditions that every photo I have is different.
* On one of my "nice" days (the day I picked it up!) it was warm enough that I had to use the A/C. Dramatic difference in performance compared to the Elise. Works very well and the car doesn't overheat in the process, even while idling. Obviously cooling the car when it's 60 outside is easier than when it's 100, so we'll see how that goes in a few months.
* Wife loves the car and doesn't scream in terror when going around corners. She says it feels so much safer than the Elise and it doesn't freak her out.
* Seat leather is very soft and supple. I'm actually afraid of when I need to start feeding it because I'm afraid it'll ruin the nice quality. Anyone have tips on taking care of such nice leather? Clearly this is in a different league than the Elise seats.
* I wish the MPG-o-meter had an "instant" mode where you could see what you were getting at any moment versus just the overall mileage since reset.
* The dash clock is 24-hour only according to the service manual.
* Dash has a cold warning light/beep when the outside temperature is below 40. Even shows a cute snowflake.
* You can adjust the rake on both front seats, for those who didn't know. Nice change from the Elise, +2, and Esprit (at least the M100 had that!).
* I love the steering wheel. It feels so nice, it's shaped well, and the flat bottom is actually a nice spot to grab when doing a sharp turn. Also gives you instant feedback as to how far around the wheel has gone.
* Headlights are great, but aimed a bit low when you're driving on long, unlit roads. High beams are just fine in this case until you have oncoming traffic. The car looks just plain devious at night. Wicked.
* Forward blinker LEDs are so nice and clear. I've been waiting 10 years for cars to have these!
* Backup camera and parking sensors are nice and work quite well. Just clean the lens on the camera after driving in the snow. :)
* I like the button to open the fuel filler door, rather that it just being accessible like the Elise. No need to buy a locking cap. By the way, the fuel filler cap looks like it's probably identical to the Elise one, plus a lanyard.
* The rear has a pocket/cubby on each side where you can store small things. Probably not of interest to most, but your kid can put their pet parrot or other toys in there.
* When you get your car, show people the trunk and let them laugh and joke about "only a short weekend trip, eh?" Then pop open the cute "hood" and let them laugh even more about where you can hide your "stash". They love it.
* The door sills are the perfect width and height to sit on and buckle your kid in the back seat. Nice and comfy.
* I thought I'd miss the push button start from the Elise and that the Evora was a step backward. Haven't thought about it a bit until right now and now I'm thinking that the Elise start button - while cool - was a little gimmicky to me.
* Even the cops stare at the car when it goes by. Quite entertaining, especially when your three year old is waving to them through that little rear window!
* The dashboard distance-to-empty calculation seems pretty accurate.
* I still can't find the battery. Hope I don't need to jump it anytime soon.
* You can lock/unlock the doors with your hands and it works like you'd expect, unlike the Elise.
* The cooled trunk is quite impressive. After a long drive it's still room temperature back there. We've put groceries back there with no issues at all.
* The quality of materials in the rear diffuser seems much better than my Elise. The Elise one always felt flimsy and tinny.
* Unlike the Elise, you can use the key fob to unlock the doors at a distance greater than one inch from the car.
* The rolling resistance on this car is amazing. I felt like the Elise would stop rolling on a hill. The Evora rolls on the slightest incline and if you let out the clutch while driving it'll coast down the road forever.
* There is no display of tenths on any of the mileages (trip, odometer, etc.).
* I thought I'd miss the coolant temperature display in the Elise, but actual prefer the thermometer-type display in the Evora. Yeah it was kinda cool to know the car was at 182 degrees, but when it got up to 205 degrees I had no idea what that meant relative to the overheating temperature of the car. In the Evora I see the bar is in the middle and then I'm happy.
* The fuel gauge stays at full after a fillup for about 50-60 miles.
* The interior accent lighting (Premium Pack) is beautiful. Actually one of my favorite features on the car.

Gripes
* I'm annoyed that the built-in garage door opener is only active when the ignition is on. Every day I pull in, turn the car off, then "DOH!", and turn the ignition back on.
* Having two "tick tick tick" sounds from the signal annoys me - one from the instrument cluster area, another from the center of the dash area.
* No heater vent to aim at my right hand since the two up front have the dashboard in the way. Hand gets cold while shifting.

Problems
Only one problem so far - my door window auto-down feature keeps malfunctioning to where it won't roll the window back up or won't go down at all. I just have to do the window reset procedure as outlined in the shop manual and it's fine for awhile, but then it happens again later. I have not taken it in yet because I can't reproduce the problem. If I take it in while the problem is present, they're just going to do the reset procedure themselves anyway and call it good.

All in all, very happy with the car. No regrets and loving every minute. Gorgeous color and the car gets a lot of looks. Entertaining to watch people literally stop in their tracks to watch the car go buy. Also fun on the freeway to see a car/minivan/bus of kids/adults turn around in their seats and gawk, then turn back around and fiddle for a minute, then face my car again with all their camera phones out. Even the guys at the dealership seem to prefer the Burnt Orange Evora to the 458s and Enzos. My sales rep suggested BITCHIN as a vanity plate.

Can't wait to get the summer tires on and head up the mountains. Great mountain roads around here. :cool:

As for my aftermarket "mods", the all weather floor mats I bought are excellent. I'm actually considering leaving them in there all summer. The sun shield thing I'm less impressed with. Although it's very nice and high quality, it's hard to get unfolded in the car and harder to get to stay in place. Sector111 says to just slide it in the little gap between the headliner and windshield. It's not only very tight up there, but it's also impossible to push it up in there because there's no way to grab it and slide it. A few small handles sewn in would rectify that. We haven't had any sun here since I got the car, so I have only pulled it out twice so far.

Happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the car. FYI, my build date is November 2010.

And, the most important part, pictures! One on pickup day when I got home with forged wheels and summer tires, the other with my cast wheels and winter tires and covered in snow.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You sound like a guy worth having a beer with. Enjoyed the read.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Anybody who can (a) afford an Evora and (b) write that well is not a nobody.

>* I'm annoyed that the built-in garage door opener is only active when the ignition is on.

I don't know that you would ever to this, but having your car parked outside your garage it would be better to have the opener inop without the key.

Your roads are fun indeed. I bought my Elise in Park City, and my buddy Bill (who lives in Heber) took us up above Sundance; Bill in his restored TR3 with my Minnesota buddy and me following in the Elise I had owned for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Review from a nobody? You're short selling yourself considerably. That was an outstanding write-up! This is very helpful. Appreciate you keeping us posted as you put on some more miles.

Happy travels

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your review, and glad you are enjoying your car.
Not to sound corny, but:
could you please tell me more about the heated seats?
Wasn't aware that was an option yet.

~pino

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I enjoyed your article too.

The "Sport" button has got me wondering. It sounds really cool. It even seems sacrilegious that you haven't used it. But if you are driving a stick shift what does it really do? After all, sport-or-no-sport you decide on your own what gear you want the car to use.

Maybe it adjusts the muffler sound or perhaps the suspension settings? Anyone know what "Sport" mode does in an Evora?

·
Registered
147 Posts
A very enjoyable write -up on a car that I love. Having been involved with Lotus since 1968 I believe the Evora is something special. I have driven the n/a, supercharged and IBS and would have one in a heart beat.

So when are you going to come over and let me take you on a factory tour?

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Review from a nobody? You're short selling yourself considerably. That was an outstanding write-up! This is very helpful. Appreciate you keeping us posted as you put on some more miles.

Happy travels
+1--Great write up, and keep those miles rolling :D.
I have little or no occasion to drive mine in bad weather (that is reserved for my Audi ;)), so it is nice to hear the car handles less than ideal traction like it does everything else!
BTW, David C., the sport button alters (sharpens) the throttle response map and increases the engine red line. The differences with it off and on are dramatic (and enjoyable :)).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody who can (a) afford an Evora and (b) write that well is not a nobody.
Aw, shucks, thanks for making me feel better. :) I actually meant 'nobody' in the sports car comparison world, having never driven anything except Lotus. And I don't really care to either. :cool:

>* I'm annoyed that the built-in garage door opener is only active when the ignition is on.

I don't know that you would ever to this, but having your car parked outside your garage it would be better to have the opener inop without the key.
Good point, hadn't thought of that.

Your roads are fun indeed. I bought my Elise in Park City, and my buddy Bill (who lives in Heber) took us up above Sundance; Bill in his restored TR3 with my Minnesota buddy and me following in the Elise I had owned for a couple of hours.
Sadly, I haven't had as much driving on our local roads as I should have, but they are great. Lose a little power at the high altitudes, but it's the curves that matter.

I've gone around with the local British Car Club on drives and such - I'm sure I've met Bill as there aren't a whole lot of TR3 cars around.

Thank you for your review, and glad you are enjoying your car.
Not to sound corny, but:
could you please tell me more about the heated seats?
Wasn't aware that was an option yet.
Certainly! The current Evora can be ordered with a few interior options compared to the originally launched cars. There are now a few Alcantara options (full or partial), heated seats (with or without Premium Pack), and I think two more sets of wheels (diamond cut pattern and a turbine pattern). I do not believe the 19/20 is an option unless you get the S. I'm sure an actual dealer could give you more accurate information, but that's what I remember from when I ordered my car.

The heated seats work very well and are controlled by two buttons on the right side of the dash. There are only two settings - on and off - rather than the varying degrees of ass-melting you may be used to from other cars. One button is for driver, one for passenger. They heat up quickly, but I usually turn them off after a few minutes because it's too warm for my tastes. My wife left it on all night yesterday while we drove home in the snow and she loved it.

The "Sport" button has got me wondering. It sounds really cool. It even seems sacrilegious that you haven't used it. But if you are driving a stick shift what does it really do? After all, sport-or-no-sport you decide on your own what gear you want the car to use.

Maybe it adjusts the muffler sound or perhaps the suspension settings? Anyone know what "Sport" mode does in an Evora?
I agree, it's pathetic I haven't used it yet. But in my defense, the only two nice days I've had were during my break-in period and I was trying to not cane the engine too much. Otherwise, I haven't really had the desire to use it in the snow.

My understanding - someone can correct me please - is that the sport button does three things: raises the rev limit to 7200, "sharpens" the throttle response, and allows more yaw before the traction control reels you back in. I believe that means the throttle is more sensitive to inputs and the ECU adjusts its fuel trim and timing to give more power vs. less emissions. I tried it on the demo Evora before I ordered my car so I could decide if the regular car was adequate or if I needed the Evora S. It does produce a noticeable response and quicker acceleration. I think in the S model it also increases exhaust noise since that car does have a valved exhaust. I do not believe, as some have reported, it does anything with tightening the suspension. From what I can tell, the car's suspension is all mechanical; there is no valve or magnet or anything that could alter the suspension settings.

I agree with your comments about controlling the engine yourself when it's a manual transmission. I would bet that the Evora IPS sport mode also adjust shift points (assuming you aren't paddle shifting). For me, I really like the sport mode option because, as you probably guessed with the 2,200 miles in a month, I have a long commute and leaving the sport button off is effectively having an "economy mode" option on the car. Saves me a bit in gas and makes me feel a little better about polluting the planet. I'm generally a slow lane driver in the commute, but turn it up a few notches when I get to the off ramp. :D

A very enjoyable write -up on a car that I love. Having been involved with Lotus since 1968 I believe the Evora is something special. I have driven the n/a, supercharged and IBS and would have one in a heart beat.

So when are you going to come over and let me take you on a factory tour?
HUH?! FACTORY TOUR!? I'm there! :shift:
This is my 5th Lotus and the Evora is definitely something special. Certainly it won't appeal to each type of Lotus crowd or even each type of sports car enthusiast, but it is a spectacular car in my mind. I (almost) equally loved my Elan +2, Esprit S1, Elan M100, and Elise and had a very hard time parting with them in exchange for a single Evora. I do still miss those cars and would take them all back if I could, but I ashamedly admit I miss them less as I drive the Evora more.

But seriously, a Factory Tour? My wife and I have talked for years about heading to Hethel for a tour. I owe someone there a drink anyway. :)

Oh, a few things I forgot to put in my list above. Although I have every option (except power folding mirrors), my car did not come with the chrome Evora badge on the passenger side dash leather. No holes or glue marks or anything, looks like it was just forgotten! I don't care too much because my 3 year old would probably just pull on it and rip the leather anyway, but made me feel like I have a slightly unique Premium Pack car. :) Also, the factory forgot to send the window sticker with the car so it arrived via FedEx a few weeks ago. I now have a fresh, unused window sticker to go with the history of the car!

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but my intention is to keep this car and drive it every day for 10 years. I expect 200,000 miles on the car before I sell it. Sure it might degrade the resale value with that many miles, but I'm gonna have a helluva time driving between now and then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but my intention is to keep this car and drive it every day for 10 years. I expect 200,000 miles on the car before I sell it. Sure it might degrade the resale value with that many miles, but I'm gonna have a helluva time driving between now and then!
This is the whole point, right? I often laugh when I hear co-workers bragging about how they've put 200k miles on a Toyota pickup (or whatever other rig) without even pulling the valve cover. While an impressive statement of quality, I can't get past the fact that you've had to actually drive that boring old POS for 200k miles. What a waste of a perfectly good 200k miles!

Anyway, I want to thank you for taking the time to write this up. 25mpg is impressiving considering my current RX8 gets 18.8mpg in mixed driving and puts up similar performance numbers.

I do have a question, though. With your car being a 2011 model, and with Lotus having addressed the first-year teething issues, have you found any instances of squeeks, rattles, or other "loosening up" of the car in this short time? Rattles are one of my pet peeves. My RX8 has been a rattle trap since almost day one and it's always been an annoyance. (I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering there's so much hard plastic everywhere... :shrug:)

Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I (almost) equally loved my Elan +2, Esprit S1, Elan M100, and Elise and had a very hard time parting with them in exchange for a single Evora. I do still miss those cars and would take them all back if I could, but I ashamedly admit I miss them less as I drive the Evora more.

But seriously, a Factory Tour? My wife and I have talked for years about heading to Hethel for a tour. I owe someone there a drink anyway. :)

Please tell me you didn't sell the Elan, Esprit, M100 AND the Elise to get the Evora -eek-!? That would be like selling the four kids to feed the new baby.

Regarding driving the Evora until 200,000 miles --- I like the way you think. I bought my Elise since new and plan on driving it into the ground (it's my daily driver also) and probably never sell it. But in time, I do want to get an Evora as a daily driver, and still keep the Elise.

Ditto on the factory tour. My wife and I were thinking of spending a week driving around the UK and working in the factory tour. We've only been to London and have never toured the countryside.

Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

HUH?! FACTORY TOUR!? I'm there! :shift:
Having done 3 different factory tours over the years--including one organized by Richard--I can highly recommend the experience. Just remember to keep your camera in its bag ;). When combined with a day on the test track at Hethel, it makes for a perfect Lotus-centric holiday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great review from a "nobody"! Very informing and enjoyable read. I am driving my Evora almost a year now and 100% agree with your experience.

* Alpine INA-W900 seems easy to use, but the nav locked up on me twice (rest of it worked fine). First time I reset it and it was good for awhile. Second time I downloaded the latest firmware update and installed it and it's been fine since.
I noticed that the lockup happens only in 2D view mode, not 3D view.
* Bluetooth hooked up perfect and works great, although I can't figure out how to make a call from the head unit. Have to initiate the call from my phone, but then it goes through just fine. The other end can just barely tell I'm on a "speaker phone".
Tap the upper right 4x4 matrix button to go to the nav menu and there should be a Mobile phone button in the menu to make your call. The unit pulls your contacts from your phone, so calling is easy. Because I hook up my phone to the unit, it is essential to use the hands-free capability to call (when it is safe). I love listening to Pandora radio over the nav/stereo unit when my phone is hooked up! :)
* I've scraped the front on driveways 4 times already. Not much damage at all, but the little rubber bumper things under the front really don't seem to help. Much better clearance than the Elise, but still gotta take things at a good angle.
I scraped a couple of times. I put a few self-adhesive heavy-duty felt pads under the front. They are not visible unless you bend down to look under the front. These hold on pretty well (clean area thoroughly then stick), but maybe not so in hard rain or snow. If there was an aftermarket solution, I'd probably buy it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Alpine tips, profsu. Will give it a shot. :)

This is the whole point, right? I often laugh when I hear co-workers bragging about how they've put 200k miles on a Toyota pickup (or whatever other rig) without even pulling the valve cover. While an impressive statement of quality, I can't get past the fact that you've had to actually drive that boring old POS for 200k miles. What a waste of a perfectly good 200k miles!
Absolutely agree! I am personally against garage queens and fair weather cars. I do respect those cars which should be treated that way, but I will never own something I can't drive each day.

I do have a question, though. With your car being a 2011 model, and with Lotus having addressed the first-year teething issues, have you found any instances of squeeks, rattles, or other "loosening up" of the car in this short time? Rattles are one of my pet peeves. My RX8 has been a rattle trap since almost day one and it's always been an annoyance. (I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering there's so much hard plastic everywhere... :shrug:)
Other than the transmission noise I mentioned, the only other noise from the car is a small vibration from the driver's door speaker when I have some music playing with heavy bass. It's pretty minor, but noticeable. Otherwise this car is solid and quiet. A very nice ride. I read about complaints with tire noise and wind noise, but they are so minimal compared to anything else I've driven (I'm talking Toyota, not Elise :)) that I can't imagine why you'd think it was excessive. I accidentally found myself going 90 mph (I know, "only 90?") the other day and I couldn't even tell because it was so smooth and quiet.

Please tell me you didn't sell the Elan, Esprit, M100 AND the Elise to get the Evora -eek-!? That would be like selling the four kids to feed the new baby.
Yes, that's basically what happened. The Esprit was gone before then, but the other three I sold last year to pay for the Evora. Sadly, the 2-seaters just weren't working out when trying to carry 3 people and, let's be honest, a 1970 Elan +2 just isn't up to the same reliability standards we need in today's commuting society. Other personal life things were going on (mainly wife's cancer :() such that I couldn't spend as much time on hobbies, so trading four cars for one made the most sense. If I could, I would take all 4 back AND keep the Evora.

....You mean 1970's era Triumph TR7. B.L. did not build the TR7 'Wedge' until 1975, none in 1970.
Yes, sorry that was a typo. It was a 1980 carbureted TR7, not FI. Typo fixed.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I find that without the SPORT button on, I cannot properly double clutch my downshifts, because the gas pedal has to be pushed down further than I push gas pedals.

Sport exhaust completely eliminates all transmission sounds. I think the stock car is just too quiet. Transmission noises always dominated the Elise I had as well. It also restores lost torque in the 2000rpm area. This is my torquiest Lotus ever, including the V8 with "high-torque" mapping.

I have so much torque now, I actually wish I had the standard ratios for better economy.

I also run 20mpg now, versus the 25mpg I was getting in my quiet Evora.
I think the car is so much fun now, I can't resist running through the gears!:shift:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't really considered an exhaust upgrade because I like the quiet of the car. However, the freed up torque does sound interesting. I wish I could drive one to compare the noise. The quiet ride is one I'd the reasons I got the car in the first place. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I noticed that the lockup happens only in 2D view mode, not 3D view.

Tap the upper right 4x4 matrix button to go to the nav menu and there should be a Mobile phone button in the menu to make your call. The unit pulls your contacts from your phone, so calling is easy.
The "lockups" were that the unit couldn't receive any GPS signal at all. The map was stuck in one position, the clock was off and going backwards (I literally watched it go from 7:03 to 7:02), and the satellite tracking page was frozen on its last status. 2D or 3D didn't matter.

I tried the phone thing today on the way home and it says "no phone connected", although the BlueTooth icon is lit up. It also still works and I can receive. Strange - I'll read through the manual and figure out what it's supposed to do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.