The Lotus Cars Community banner

1341 - 1360 of 1377 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Really nicely done photos dogtag114! You're inspiring me to get out my camera gear again! What gear you using? i.e: Canon/Nikon, lens', fstop, etc. Looks like you're shooting in RAW with a lot of post work?

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is gorgeous. Please give us (me) your thoughts compared to your Porsche. I’m in that constant tug a war between an Evora GT and Cayman GT4. I’ve had both an Evora S and 981 Cayman GTS. Still can’t decide!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I’m in that constant tug a war between an Evora GT and Cayman GT4.
I had the same. My GT4 deal breakers were; no back up camera, harsh daily ride (ie train tracks were brutal), the expensive front strut failure issue, maintenance costs and that it looked just like yet another Porsche.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is gorgeous. Please give us (me) your thoughts compared to your Porsche. I’m in that constant tug a war between an Evora GT and Cayman GT4. I’ve had both an Evora S and 981 Cayman GTS. Still can’t decide!!
Realized I wrote a big write up haha so included the TLDR
* TLDR *
I chose the Lotus because it was more special and exciting to me, while the GT4 just felt like a better version of something I had already experienced.

Lotus Pros - steering/handling, sound, looks, compliant ride
Lotus Cons - seat height slightly high, speakers/nav unit
Porsche Pros - sound, fit & finish, gearbox
Porsche Cons - no front axle lift, no reverse camera / parking sensors, price was $20k+ more for similar 718 GT4, very familar to old car (not really a bad thing - I just wanted something different)
* TLDR *

The Porsche in the picture is my brother's 718 GTS. However, I previously owned a 981 Boxster S and went through the same debate between the Cayman GT4 and Evora. I have also driven my brother's other previous Porsche's (2018 911 GTS, 2019 911 GT3 RS) quite a lot, as I looked after them when he was out of country, so I should be able to give some insight into my decision making.

I have been deciding on a new car for over a year and during that time I test drove the Evora 400 (manual), Evora GT (auto & manual), and 2016 Cayman GT4. When I drove the GT4, I found it to be a lot of fun but it was missing some things for me.
1) It had no front axle lift, which I consider to be pretty important in CA Bay Area (at least on the roads I travel)
2) It did not have updated interior over my Boxster (I wanted something a bit different and with Apple CarPlay)
3) It felt like I was driving my Boxster, but everything was just enhanced somewhat

At that time the GT4 was $104k used with somewhere around 5-10k miles on it. It was a great car and essentially improved on everything I already enjoyed on my Boxster, but it was double the price for something that felt quite familiar.

I then test drove an Evora 400 (I think 2017) which was not the best test drive due to the road choice. I came away loving the steering feel and the interior was much better than I had been led to believe on forums (coming from Boxster with plastic interior), but it didn't completely sell me. Also, the sales guy turned on the Sport mode and pressed the exhaust button, which actually silences the exhaust so the sound was just ok only.

Later, I test drove an Evora GT (auto) and it was much improved looks to me because it had the carbon pack and all the aero updates, unlike the 400 I drove. Roads were not great again, but I got to test acceleration and sound and it was amazing with the valves open. The auto transmission was terrible to me. I had been used to driving PDK transmissions and it's a big step down in my opinion. If I had to have auto, I would probably get the Porsche.
Note: I am biased and generally don't like auto transmissions because I don't like the lag of doing an action and waiting for something to happen vs shifting manually. It may be slower, but I'm constantly, physically active during the process. I kind of compare it to input lag with a video game controller.

Finally, I test drove an Evora GT in manual, which is what I wanted from the start. I got to go on some empty twisty roads and open it up a bit. I was giggling with the sales guy throughout the whole ride. I ended up ordering the car to the spec I wanted that day after the test drive.

The only downsides so far for me are quite minor.
1) The seat is a bit higher than I'd probably like, but I'm 6'2"
2) The audio/nav system isn't great and I'm someone who will daily drive this and take it on road trips, so that is somewhat important to me. Others may not care of course.

So overall, I am super happy with my purchase and glad I went the direction I did. The GT4 is a nice car, but I guess I was looking for something a bit different and have always loved Lotus since I was a kid. I was able to get an allocation for a GT4 if I wanted, but it would have been around $130-140k to spec out similar leather/stitching and carbon options that I wanted. In comparison, the Lotus spec was around $117k and I worked the price down to around $110k.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
2) The audio/nav system isn't great and I'm someone who will daily drive this and take it on road trips, so that is somewhat important to me. Others may not care of course.
As unfortunate as it is the sound system isn't better in a car priced in the range it is, the upside is being a standard double DIN, there's a plethora of aftermarket options that'll be 99.999% better than any factory-integrated system, aside from aesthetics.

Congrats, and great looking ride!

·
Registered
231 Posts
@mlabus
Nice car and nice write up with a fair comparison, Loving the colour btw and two beautiful cars sitting together.

Re the sound system. The problem tends not to be with the head unit. Its everything else that might need attention. I have new amp, sub and speakers and it makes a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As unfortunate as it is the sound system isn't better in a car priced in the range it is, the upside is being a standard double DIN, there's a plethora of aftermarket options that'll be 99.999% better than any factory-integrated system, aside from aesthetics.

Congrats, and great looking ride!
Yes, the amp and speakers are embarrassingly poor. He head unit is OK. You need to put in a 4 channel amp replace the sub and put in new door speakers and tweeters with crossovers. There are plenty of threads about doing this here. This requires taking apart much of the interior. Its ridiculous that you have to spend $1-1.5K to get decent sound in these cars. I am now wondering what they put in the Evija.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, the amp and speakers are embarrassingly poor. He head unit is OK. You need to put in a 4 channel amp replace the sub and put in new door speakers and tweeters with crossovers. There are plenty of threads about doing this here. This requires taking apart much of the interior. Its ridiculous that you have to spend $1-1.5K to get decent sound in these cars. I am now wondering what they put in the Evija.
exactly Unfortunately most car manufacturers use poor speakers & a lack of a proper amp in their cars. The alpine radio in the GT is actually quite good Only to be letdown by speakers and no proper amp. Actually not sure of any double din radio which sounds better, I have it’s larger brother in my Jeep. That is when the radio is paired with a good amp, speakers etc

1341 - 1360 of 1377 Posts