The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered, but maybe not lately. Any views as to what the 2012 S models are actually selling for relative to MSRP or invoice? I want a 2012 S manual and most are optioned over $90k. I can buy a new Audi RS5 at list with all options for $10k less. I realize they are different cars, but it is really hard to be rational and pay more for the Evora. You get less than the Audi on about every measure for more money. Sort of a head vs heart thing I suppose.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
not much extra money out there on 12s, especially S cars.

That being said, the 12 cars are a really big step up from the older models..I think the 10 was more of a 58-65k car (hypothetical MSRP) whereas the 12s are very much in the 75-90k range as far as what you are getting. Build quality, interior, features have made a huge step up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that they are probably 75-90 cars, but the problem is they list for over 90 and the invoice is over 80. I also think the uncertainty of Lotus' future is a huge factor. No matter what you pay for it if you can't get is serviced then it is much less valuable. I think until they sort out their future then it is very hard to justify buying a new Lotus today. Having said that, they are pretty cool cars! :)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Your Audi is based on a 3 box sedan style... Evora ,to me, makes an R8 look bad.

Seriously, Audi tactile driving pleasures can't compete with Lotus Heritage. Audis , indeed have big brass ones but, I promise you, won't put a smile on your face like an apex can in an Evora.
Smooth extra stitches and interior options don't make the 2012's a superior car. Same powertrain! Same suspension, brakes, tires. Interior is tighter yes but so it is with any 2nd yr and beyond run.

Lotus got greedy in 2010. If the second MSRP stickers were the original stickers, and if they had let them out the door for 70K, all those LE 's would have readily sold. Instead they put those stickers on a year old car and>>>>> you get the idea.
I know a 2011 "S" that you can get in the low 70's right now. You want current, just like any high end car, you pay during the current model year.

I am told the 2013's will be VERY limited and pricey to keep values up. Look what has happened to Elige prices since supply has dwindled.:clap:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Evora IPS, which isn't too far off MSRP wise from the S. Fully optioned, I got the car for about 4k off the true MSRP; and by "true", I mean minus the silly tacked-on dealer costs. I called quite a few dealers on the west coast, and that was pretty much the best I could get.

From what I have read, the 2012 cars are much more expensive for dealers to buy than the previous models, but Lotus has kept the MSRP the same. Your best bet is going to be getting a good price on your trade-in if you are going that route.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concur with both of the previous posts the evora is just a very different car. the cool look and handling do require a lot of compromises. Nobody on the Audi forums has posts about how to wrap foam tape around the door lock button or to the door trim to keep it from sqweeking. Just saying, there are trade offs.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What about ordering a car? It will take time, but you can option the car the way you want to keep the cost down.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I concur with both of the previous posts the evora is just a very different car. the cool look and handling do require a lot of compromises. Nobody on the Audi forums has posts about how to wrap foam tape around the door lock button or to the door trim to keep it from sqweeking. Just saying, there are trade offs.

don't take this the wrong way, because this isn't meant to be offensive in the least..but based off of your comments in the thread I definitely think you would be disappointed with an Evora..it's just a different breed (that has both good and bad connotations with it...) from the RS5 and if you're cross shopping, they are very different cars..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense, agree that they are very different cars. I have owned 3 Lotus cars and 5 Audis. I am well aware of the differences. Just Trying to balance things. I have 2 audis now and one lotus. If I buy the RS5 then I will have 3audis, but will not sell the Elise SC

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Been in Charleston this weekend with the GF. Hotel manager asked us to stay parked in front of their Hotel (Vendue Inn, downtown, nice place) to make the place look better. Would not accept money for valet fees.

Vendue Inn w.jpg

Went to Folley beach. Parking guy stepped out in front of us, waved us in, put us up front in the shade, would not take any money.

Won't get that from any production Audi on earth.

And we got all her stuff :eek: and beach umbrella, cooler, etc in there.

IMG_0693w.jpg

I see the exclusivity alone as worth $10,000.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great post. Very good point

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
At one time there was a red 458 parked nearby. More girls were posing for pictures with the Heritage.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just went to a Audi event (Audi driving experience) and drove ever S line Audi in the fleet. We even drove the R8 V10 & the new RS5. The RS5 was my least favorite of all the cars. The RS5 felt like a bloated pig on the track with the car being just over 4 thousand pounds. A loaded up version is just a bit over 80k. IMO: Personally on a list of all the cars I could purchase for around 80k the Audi RS5 would be my last choice.;)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hard to believe a GT500 is a couple hundred pounds lighter!!-eek-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is very helpful information! I also did the 2 day audi R8 program back in Feb and bought a V8 R8 after attending. It was interesting that most everyone in the school actually preferred the V8 over the V10. It just felt more nimble and balanced so I have no doubt that the RS5 felt like a pig in comparison. It sounds like it also didn't do well vs the S line versions which is the surprise. After digging in a bit more, the RS5 is not much quicker that the S versions and actually has less torque. I had an RS4 and tracked it once, also on the heavy side. Thanks to all on the thread for your comments. Very helpful in my decision.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a 2007 RS4 I loved that car. In March of 2011 I bought a new 2011 Audi S4 and hated it so much I only kept it for 102 days. In the Texas heat the Super Charger lost alot of power and the steering had a VW Passat feel. In July 2011 I traded it in for a new BMW ZCP M3. Good Luck ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
No offense, agree that they are very different cars. I have owned 3 Lotus cars and 5 Audis. I am well aware of the differences. Just Trying to balance things. I have 2 audis now and one lotus. If I buy the RS5 then I will have 3audis, but will not sell the Elise SC

The exclusivity/rarity definitely makes it a fun car. 241 in 2010. Less than 100 in 2011, and we don't know for sure yet but most likely less than 100 in 2012. That definitely lends itself to attention, but also plays into some of the quality niggles mentioned above.

I drive mine daily and absolutely love it. Yesterday we took it on a nice drive and in 2nd and 3rd gear through the canyons at only about 6/10s it was a blast and reminded me (as it does after each spirited drive) why I bought it. It is a joy daily, but it really can shine. I know you know all of this, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to live with. Space, comfort, AC that works!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Audi's are boring. Anything other than the R8, and TTS, they are just commuter cars. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent cars and you get your money's worth (I've owned them) but they offer very little to be excited about. At the end of the day, from an automotive enthusiast standpoint, it's all about how the car makes you feel. I look at an these sports sedans, and they invoke the level of excitement I get from my Toyota Tercel.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, it really is an emotion. Cars and driving make me happy. Luckily, my wife gets this and is supportive of my habit. The R8, for sure has character, the V8 with the R-tronic transmission is wicked when you aggressively go through the gears--just sounds amazing and the spyder is the first one I have ever had that truly does not feel different than the coupe. On another note, I bought the 12 Evora S today. It is at the port in Huaneme in Oxnard, CA and I should have it this week. So excited.

My lovely bride asked me a great question as I was trying to decide on the RS5 vs Evora S. Why is it if you are a car guy do you want to drive a really fast car that looks like every other car? Why not buy a car that is not only fast, but looks it as well and forget about what other people think--I married well!

Thanks to everyone for their comments in this thread, it was very helpful.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts