The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Lots of scattered info. around. I was wondering if some of the all-knowing ones could give an approximate time line of the Evora production timetable for all the variants in the U.S.

Evora coupe - ?? 2009-2010

Evora convertible - ???

Evora S - ???

Evora S convertible - ???

I'm sure the last two are pretty much unknowns even to the people at Lotus.

Any info. is appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,798 Posts
I don't know any firm dates, but Lotus have said in various interviews that the order would be

Evora
Evora S
Evora convertible

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...if the chassis wasn't designed as a roadster to start, it's going to either add weight or sacrifice stiffness...

Some people have discussed this before. I recall them saying the roof is not structurally integrated so this would not be much of an issue.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I haven't really followed Evora news but I believe official pricing will be released at the Geneva Show next month and I believe the Evora will start arriving in the U.S. late 2009 or realistically early 2010. Not sure about the S or convertible version.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Honestly, there is no exact release date for Evora as of yet.

At first Lotus was optimistic about giving a late November '09 release date then it turned to late December '09 and now it could be as late as February but I believe it will be contigent on how fast Lotus can get carb certifications for Evora.

IIRC, at a dealer conference meeting, dealers expressed their concerns to have a convertible before the S variant but it's anyone's guess to what happens on the 2nd year of Evora.

Regarding the chasis, Lotus has claimed that the convertible chasis is about 75% stiffer than the Elise/Exige thus adding credence that a convertible may in fact be coming out before the S (coin toss).

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Recent reports from factory to UK Evora buyers
May 2009: UK launch
December 2009: US launch
June 2010: Auto box
Mid 2011: Evora SC
April 2012: Convertible 2 seater with electrically operated soft top

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I keep getting mixed info... Is there a conclusive answer to this?

Then again, I don't think I'd want to wait for the convertible anyways.
BM, don't know where your information is coming from where it states otherwise however; Chris B is correct...there's a roll bar integrated in the roof.

Amazingly enough, some dealers have a list for convertibles also

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BM, don't know where your information is coming from where it states otherwise however; Chris B is correct...there's a roll bar integrated in the roof.

Amazingly enough, some dealers have a list for convertibles also

Same way I got it from ChrisB; from reading people's replies.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,798 Posts
...if the chassis wasn't designed as a roadster to start, it's going to either add weight or sacrifice stiffness...
The chassis can be used for a coupe or convertible from the get-go. No sacrifice in stiffness. For the couple they simply add a roll bar that goes under the roof, just like the Elise.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
There sure is a lot of information about the Evora that doesn’t make sense to me. In addition to the estimated weight being highly suspect, the automatic transmission makes even less sense. Why would they bother to make an automatic transmission so soon (if at all) when their sales goal is 2,000/year? I don’t think they will have any trouble finding 2,000 buyers/year who know how to drive a manual. Wouldn’t a convertible attract a MUCH higher number of buyers than an automatic transmission would? IMHO if they really are focusing on getting the slush box to market before the convertible, they need a new marketing team.

Aren't the two most attractive aspects of Lotus cars their light weight and exclusivity? It seems that thay have lost sight of the importance of the first through a goal of eroding the second. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I wondered about the slush box too -especially when other manufacturers are offering the dual clutch type transmissions which are even faster then manuals.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
First, ****, Do you have a high res copy of that pic for my screen saver?

Second about the autobox. Let's look at Lotus' main target for the Evora, the Cayman/ 911. Both of these cars until this year used a Tiptronic box. The Tiptronic is a conventional autobox not a dual clutch. It makes up more than half of sales for both models. Obviously for the Evora to be successful against these cars in the US (the market for which Lotus set as it's primary market), it must include an autobox.

As far as the Auto coming before the convertible, #1 it's easier to integrate into production. #2 Porsche introduces/offers a tiptronic before they offer the convertible so again Lotus is simply taking it's cues from it's rival.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts