The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember me from a few years ago when i came very close to buying an Elise. My dad recently passed and with what I will inherit i am getting the idea that i might consider the Lotus Evora. The Elise was pretty small and noisy to me and its my understanding the Evora is a step up as far as luxury goes. So, i have a few questions:

1) Is the Evora easier to get in and out of than the Elise?
2) Is the backseat actually big enough for someone to sit in, even if they sort of have to sit sideways?
3) Does the A/C work better in the Evora?
4) Does the Evora have cruise control?
5) Is the ride smoother in the Evora?
6) Is the Evora more reliable and less likely to have problems than the Elise?
7) Does the radio work better in the Evora?
8) Is the Evora still being sold in the US? And if not, how much off the sticker should i expect on a 2011 model?

And anything else anyone wants to add would certainly be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
161 Posts
Whitey#1, I am fairly new the driving the Evora and I have no experience with the Elise, but I can answer a few of your questions.

1. Yes, the car is easier to get in and out of, but it's still on the ground.
2. I have a 2+0, but I was unable to get in the backseat of a 2+2 and I am a small guy. I would not put my children back there for no longer than a joy ride around the block.
3. The AC in my car is extremely cold. If there are complaints out there, maybe I got a good one.
4. Cruise control is optional...I opted out.
5. The ride in the Evora is smoother than you would believe. It rides better than the G37 Coupe I had in 2010. It will surprise you if you've never driven one.
6. For me, the jury is out on the reliability issues.
7. IMHO, the radio is the only negative with the car, but that can be replaced easily.
8. Of course, they are sold in the US, however, I would make certain a dealer or service center is nearby before purchasing one.

I've had too many cars to count over the past 10 years and this is without a doubt the cream of the crop. I've driven a 911, Cayman, G37, Crossfire, CLK55, GS Corvette and a few others. To me, it's just a better car. The Evora is the first car I've driven that made me immediately want to keep it until I can no longer drive. Nothing else on the road excites me.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I agree with many of the things that Khearon23 says save these:

Kids fit in the back just fine. I have driven 2 around multiple times with no complaints. I only get screams of ... joy? ... with some spirited driving :) I have also fit a full grown adult in the back a few times though I don't recommend it for long hauls.

AC is great for most - some cars seem to have issues but it isn't "too" common.

Reliability - remember that you always hear the boo birds on the forums - rarely do those without issues speak up so take that into consideration.

2011's have nice discounts - check other threads in the forum for an idea.

The car is simply amazing. I fell in love with it before I drove it but after it is pure obsession. I have over 11k miles on mine already and it isn't even a year old.

--J

·
Registered
182 Posts
1) Is the Evora easier to get in and out of than the Elise?
YES

2) Is the backseat actually big enough for someone to sit in, even if they sort of have to sit sideways?
Fine for Kids, though I would not do a cross state trip with kids. Pick ups and drop offs around town are fine. Smaller nimbler adults in an emergency.

3) Does the A/C work better in the Evora?
Seems fine to me.

4) Does the Evora have cruise control?
It is an option; if it is not on the car, relatively easy to add.

5) Is the ride smoother in the Evora?
VERY. I would compare it to any luxury sedan. It is hard to believe at first that it can take corners that way it does.

6) Is the Evora more reliable and less likely to have problems than the Elise?
Well, it is still a lotus. Same maker, same dealers.

7) Does the radio work better in the Evora?
Works fine and easy to swap. This was one of the best features for me. With a open double din, I can get whatever is happening in the a/v world right away. In any other car, it will be impossible for me to get the "Siri" button or better maps without having to update the whole car!

But come next year, ~500 bucks to Amazon will get me an updated head unit with all the goodies like stereo bluetooth, 3D maps like in iOS 6, bluetooth 4; siri integration, iphone dock or whatever is current.

8) Is the Evora still being sold in the US? And if not, how much off the sticker should i expect on a 2011 model?
See other threads and there some nice ones on ebay too. But move fast, I notice there are fewer out there than a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1) Yes
2) See previous comments. Wife stayed there for 1 hour on drive to Marin Sonoma Concours. She is still 5'7".
3) Yes
4) You can add. Tech Pack includes it.
5) Yes
6) It's a Lotus
7) Who listens to the radio? :)
8) 2011's are going fast and there are VERY few 2012's.

What are you waiting for? ;)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Evora Answers

Entry/exit in the Elise was very easy for me, and difficult for my wife. With the Evora I have to change how I get in/out a bit as my knee bumps the steering wheel. Other than that, it is easier than the Elise.

We have a 2+0 - small kids might fit in the back of a 2+2. The seats would need to be quite a bit forward to provide leg room.

The A/C works very well. It also worked well in the Elise after I installed the suggested mods.

Cruise control is very nice on the highway. Does not work in sport mode - shifting reverts to paddle shifts only in sport mode.

The ride is amazingly comfortable - would be great on long trips.

Our car is new. Reliability remains to be seen. The Elise was the most reliable car I've owned.

The radio is excellent (although complex with the NAV, iPod, etc., etc,) - the ride noise is very low, like a family sedan. One can actually hear/enjoy the sound system. Not so in the Elise - ear plugs were required for highway speeds.

The dealership in Cleveland has a couple cars available.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Cruise control is very nice on the highway. Does not work in sport mode - shifting reverts to paddle shifts only in sport mode.
This is not the case with manual. Cruise works in any mode and since he was asking about 2011's IPS was not an option :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about your father.

Were you the big boned fellow from Alabama or thereabouts?
Thanks. He was 94, starting to decline, been having some heart problems. He served with the 101st Airborne in WWII.

Anyway, no, i am not from Alabama. I live in SW Indiana.

Mike

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
It's possible to carry my 5'9' 130 lb GF or 5'10" 15 year old son across town in the "back seat" with no problem. More than 20 minutes would be tough. Shoes off required as feet are up against the side.

No not at same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts