The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have broken their Evora links?

I though this snapped as a result of a single track-off and impact, however inspection of the fracture leads to 3 stages i) small fatigue crack, ii) a crack through about 1/4 cross section, and iii) final tensional snap. A snapped toe link permits about +/- 7 degrees of rear wheel "steering". My ARB, lower wishbone and diffuser surround confirm these oscillations with grooving from tire contact; thus the snapped link occurred prior to the impact and may have been a contributing reason for control loss.

Folks, I would advise inspecting your Toe Link treads with a dye penetrant type inspection method as a minimum and possibly in a 5 to 7.5k mile interval.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks like an excellent product- gets rid of the weak link adjuster and over 1 Kg lighter than stock.

300 GBP is about $375 now but with all of the brexit uncertainty that could decrease in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That design sure looks intentional as a mechanical fuse scenario. Any thoughts there? If it is, removing it might lead to worse things.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
That was my thought yesterday, but I didn't know for sure. Now the frame attach point bends, hmmmmmm... Gotta say, where you dropped has terminated MANY cars and there a are a few other harsh places that may have started the compromise of the part. Let alone a few other wheel drops at that corner on prior laps. Major off camber lateral loads there.

Reactions: Julian73

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Julian. Scary stuff. Can’t imagine one of those letting go at high speed especially on public roads.

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting... and I'm coming from the AMG headbolt failure issue...

Is this the same on the 400?
Same part since the Series 1 cars, although I noticed my replacement was Rev D not Rev A as in the parts catalog. Same geometry, maybe different heat treat properties on the screw :shrug:

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting that, Julian. Scary stuff. Can’t imagine one of those letting go at high speed especially on public roads.
Only 53 mph

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my thought yesterday, but I didn't know for sure. Now the frame attach point bends, hmmmmmm... Gotta say, where you dropped has terminated MANY cars and there a are a few other harsh places that may have started the compromise of the part. Let alone a few other wheel drops at that corner on prior laps. Major off camber lateral loads there.
Yes, I think I would rather take my chances with loss of control than take out a subframe.

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like an excellent product- gets rid of the weak link adjuster and over 1 Kg lighter than stock.

300 GBP is about $375 now but with all of the brexit uncertainty that could decrease in the next couple of months.
One issue that Spitfire is addressing with a redesign after feedback from Hethelsport, the inboard lock nut is too hard to tighten securely, due to proximity with the frame.

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Glad you are ok!
I wasn't even shaken up, although after watching the incar video I cannot believe that my back was not sore, its amazing the amount of lateral body movement in a side impact. I just couldn't figure out why I was in for such a random ride, with car not responding to my normal corrective actions, I guess the ESP was feeling the same way, however tire rub markings on suspension parts show that the wheel was oscillating between 7 deg toe-in and 7 deg toe-out depending on throttle-on, throttle-off, coast.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Note to self...don't get greedy after the bridge at Thompson...

Reactions: Julian73

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
toe link failures are also relatively common in the 111 chassis cars. Makes me wonder if as mentioned above they are engineered weaknesses and the increased capabilities of the S2/3 Evoras are putting more strain than envisioned on them. I am certainly no engineer however.

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
toe link failures are also relatively common in the 111 chassis cars. Makes me wonder if as mentioned above they are engineered weaknesses and the increased capabilities of the S2/3 Evoras are putting more strain than envisioned on them. I am certainly no engineer however.
Link is a different design and different failure point as the T111 cars use a weaker single shear pin, but then if the frame is distorted on a 111 then the chassis is a write off where-as on the Evora's the subframe can be replaced for a few $$$$$

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Great. Now I’m paranoid about a toe link breaking on me at speed especially in the Elise and especially with a passenger who’s life I’m also responsible for.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
Great. Now I’m paranoid about a toe link breaking on me at speed especially in the Elise and especially with a passenger who’s life I’m also responsible for.
RTD2 brace with Elise and hammer her with no worries. Did it for almost 9 yrs. Julian had bad luck. I have beat on my Evora mercilessly for 6 seasons now. Going on 65 days....NADA problems except for $300 zip ties on MAF hehe

I can't begin to tell you the number of cars I've been in with roasted wheel bearings etc

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RTD2 brace with Elise and hammer her with no worries. Did it for almost 9 yrs. Julian had bad luck. I have beat on myEvora mercilessly for 6 seasons nw. Going on 65 days....NADA problems except for $300 zip ties on MAF hehe

I can't begin to tell you the number of cars I've been in with roasted wheel bearings etc
Same, prior Evora had many more miles and more track time on sticker tires and these parts are the same. Wrong angle and wrong place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts