The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you that have not done this drive (in your Lotus of course...), it's a mandatory must for anyone on the West Coast. The drive consists of 50+ miles of the most scenic and fun to drive 2nd and 3rd gear twisties you'll ever come across on public roads. A few quick pics to give you a feel for the backdrop. BTW, the shot of the red Mustang was thrown in, because he was a bit surprised when I passed him on a short straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
it's one of the best scenic drives in the world and one of my favorites, but you have to go there with the idea of driving really slow since there's no passing lanes, and a lot of slow drivers don't know what a turnout is.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true. Luckily, most people were smart enough to use the turn-outs once they realized they had 4+ cars behind them. Also, hitting the road early AM helps!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
road trip to san fran? we've wanted to go for awhile, I've been Nicole hasn't...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remind me to tell you about my ticket if we catch up next weekend at C&C. I'm out for tomorrow as well. Need a little R&R before I go back to work early Mon.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I had one of the most memorable drives on that road... I was chasing a Porsche 996 TT for a few miles until I couldn't see him any more. I wasn't willing to go any faster on public roads but I'll always remember that drive :D Had almost no traffic throughout that entire part of the drive. I was going from San Jose to Santa Barbara on a Tuesday and got through that section around 11 am.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Is this Carlos? We met at C&C a week ago.

That's a nice drive. We took a trip in our Elise last Oct with another Lotus owner here. Rented a house in Carmel. Waking up to the ocean and admiring the sunset in the evening. Unforgettable. And of course, the drive to and back on Highway 1!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup it's me. With a little planning, we should maybe look into doing a little Lotus tour de Carmel some time in the near future. It would be nice if we all rented a house in Carmel. We could drive up and enjoy Carmel for the evening and drive back the next day.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Great pics Carlos. I've had this on my list of trip ideas for a long time now. Looks like an amazing drive!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have done this drive many times, mostly on the way to the Monterey Historics. The key is to start early---very early. I try to start just before sunrise. I have made the entire trip and only seen a couple of cars total in the entire 2 hour trip. If you wait until later then it is incredibly frustrating behind campers, etc. Whether you are an early riser or not, it is worth it to just own this road for 2 hours--I never get tired of it!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Martin, I'm right there with you on the early riser thing. Whenever I go on road trips, my friends always joke that I'll suggest leaving at 4AM! However leaving at day break is the only way to go.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Carlos, I am with you about setting off early.

Btw do you fancy a death valley trip maybe towards end of summer? Was originally planning a spring trip but something came up. I know lots of great roads there. Plus rest a night in furnace creek.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts