The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoblog: Lotus Evora has room for supercharger, 400 hp "S" variant coming - Autoblog

After the Evora was officially revealed in London, Lotus CEO Michael Kimberley has made it clear that more variants of the 2+2 were on the way. Six different versions are planned, including a convertible – originally confirmed the day the Evora debuted – that will keep the coupe fresh over its eight-year lifespan.

While a drop-top is nice, power is what the people crave. So within two years expect another naturally aspirated variant that boosts the 3.5-liter V6's engine from 280 to 320 hp. After that, it's all about forced induction. The mid-mounted V6 has been positioned in the engine bay to accept a supercharger, which will bring output up and over 400 hp, dropping the 0-60 time to under four seconds and making the Evora "S" a serious contender to the Porsche 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Gonna be another 2-3 years at least. They are wanting to drag the model out over an 8 year life cycle. That is also starting to sound 6 figures to me. :(

·
Registered
749 Posts
True..but ya gotta pay to play...

To me, this just means the next Esprit is going to be that much cooler. :coolnana:

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, the 400hp Evora was announced by.......................Autoblog? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The mid-mounted V6 has been positioned in the engine bay to accept a supercharger, which will bring output up and over 400 hp, dropping the 0-60 time to under four seconds and making the Evora "S" a serious contender to the Porsche 911 Turbo.
Assuming the 911 Turbo doesn't improve.

This is a poor strategy, imho.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 997 turbo isn't even in the same price range.
Unless I'm mistaken, prices for a 997 turbo is easily upwards of 150K.

A 20K premium over a non-SC evora is still a bargain over a 150K used 997 Turbo.

~100K+ can buy a lot of nice GTs, though.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
lotus should just introduce the supercharged version at the same time and let the customers decide how much HP they wanna pay for... get all the good press up front!

if they drag it out, its like the "fiero" all over again - by the time its kick ass, nobody cares anymore!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
By the time 400 hp arrives, the 911 turbo will be well above 500 hp. out of the box and still awd. Will still spank the Evora for close to the same $.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
By the time 400 hp arrives, the 911 turbo will be well above 500 hp. out of the box and still awd. Will still spank the Evora for close to the same $.
does anyone have any insider knowledge if the esprit will be awd - VVA has awd capability...

i also (don't shoot me!) think a phev evora would be pretty cool !!- rather fisker'ish anyways

·
Registered
134 Posts
After the Evora was officially revealed in London, Lotus CEO Michael Kimberley has made it clear that more variants of the 2+2 were on the way. Six different versions are planned, including a convertible – originally confirmed the day the Evora debuted – that will keep the coupe fresh over its eight-year lifespan.

While a drop-top is nice, power is what the people crave. So within two years expect another naturally aspirated variant that boosts the 3.5-liter V6's engine from 280 to 320 hp. After that, it's all about forced induction. The mid-mounted V6 has been positioned in the engine bay to accept a supercharger, which will bring output up and over 400 hp, dropping the 0-60 time to under four seconds and making the Evora "S" a serious contender to the Porsche 911 Turbo.
What that says to me is that Lotus will indeed use the 2GR-FSE engine later on for N/A power... but how much more will it cost? If its more than $4k then you might as well just buy the first Evora then buy the 2GR-FSE from toyota and swap it. Hell, you dont even have to wait for it to come out, just swap out the 2GR-FE and you have the 320hp variant before they ever release it. Then go out and buy yourself a supercharger and bam, your 2 years ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Strip some babyfat off it as well and you'll have a serious contender on the track.
hence the Exige S

i doubt the major selling point of this car would be track use...it will completely negate the elise/exige line up

but a 400hp+ evora seems pretty good

maybe the new esprit will be 550-600hp?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
didn't think this would be that big of a surprise. It was hinted at before that a higher powered version would be available down the road. And isn't this what Lotus usually does? introduce the car then build the power. Just look at the Exgie line, or the Esprit line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Evora

It is mean to compete with the 911 GT3 since it will weigh less and have more power. The turbo is not even the best 911 the gt3 is.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
During the Evora presentation at LOG28, Roger Becker did show a slide of the Evora engine with a supercharger on it, so its a pretty sure bet. Also, they showed a CAD drawing of the Esprit chassis with engine and suspension, but did say that they still haven't decided on whether it will be a V8 or a V10. Both will fit longitudinally.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts