The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I currently have a 1999 Esprit V8 twin turbo, but am considering getting an Evora S to potentially replace it.

Anyone done this? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I guess my concerns would be in terms of performance, exhaust note, and (please don't take this the wrong way!) the slightly less rare nature of the Evora. That is, does it still feel like a supercar or just a nice sports car?

I think the Evora can clearly win out in terms of newness, reliability, service options, etc. but some of these other factors are still important to me too.

For example, does anyone take their Evora to car shows? How is the reaction?

Thanks for any thoughts!

PS: In case you are curious - here is my Esprit: http://youtu.be/xnAIKZ2uXxQ

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've thought about this as well, but apparently the Evora gets too much attention. rotfl

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd imagine it depends on the region you're in but in the US it's a pretty rare car and gets plenty of attention. I've taken it to car shows and it definitely doesn't get as much interest as the Ferraris and Lambos but relative to just about every other sports car manufacturer (Aston, Maserati, Jaguar, Porsche) it holds it's own. Obviously, going with a bright paint job or GT4 wing adds to it's attention grabbing ability.

Outside of an exotic car show however you get plenty of pedestrians stopping and pointing, picture taking, people doing various things on the freeway to get a better look, questions/comments when getting fuel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in the Hartford area and never saw an Evora prior to purchasing mine. There are several Esprit's running around, but that by no means makes them common.

I can't comment on performance since I can't squeeze into an Esprit.

Exhaust is subjetive but I'd say the Esprit wins.

The Evora gets tons attention and it has all been positive.

Hello all,
I currently have a 1999 Esprit V8 twin turbo, but am considering getting an Evora S to potentially replace it.

Anyone done this? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I guess my concerns would be in terms of performance, exhaust note, and (please don't take this the wrong way!) the slightly less rare nature of the Evora. That is, does it still feel like a supercar or just a nice sports car?

I think the Evora can clearly win out in terms of newness, reliability, service options, etc. but some of these other factors are still important to me too.

For example, does anyone take their Evora to car shows? How is the reaction?

Thanks for any thoughts!

PS: In case you are curious - here is my Esprit: 1999 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo (test footage) - YouTube

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm the 2nd owner. The original owner raved about Secor as some other Evora owners have. I had it in for some warranty repair and the work and people were fine. E-mail was not the best way to communicate with them.

Do you go to Secor for service? How has it been?

Thanks, everyone for the thoughts!

·
Registered
216 Posts
If possible why not both; I think the Esprit is still a great looking car. I have been looking to add one to my garage along with the Evora.

Exhaust wise it really depends if you are comparing stock to stock. Evora with a plack or larini is a great sound note.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If possible why not both; I think the Esprit is still a great looking car. I have been looking to add one to my garage along with the Evora.
Both would definitely be nice, but unfortunately garage space and funds are limited!

·
Registered
856 Posts
We had an 02 Esprit prior to the Evora. Esprit has more of a shove when the turbos kick in than an Evora S but both are about the same once they get going. Transmission is worlds better in the Evora than the Esprit. Interior is so much more modern in the Evora. I saw an Esprit at a C&C last Saturday and was reminded of how far Lotus has come. Looks are subjective but IMO parking an Evora next to an Esprit makes the Esprit look quite dated. However, the wedge shape with the large wing never truly goes out of style. Evora is so much better to drive as far as handling is concerned. Brakes are about the same. Exhaust on the Esprit V8 cars with the center exhaust sounds miles better out of the gate than the Evora. The Evora with a plackslayer exhaust is the most comparable but the Esprit still sounds much better IMO. Esprit values have gone up recently after dropping during the recession so that should help you some should you decide to make the jump.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Both would definitely be nice, but unfortunately garage space and funds are limited!
I think this plagues a lot of us or else we would have spaces like Jay Leno.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Esprit: width 74.1 in (1,882 mm)
Evora: width 72.8 in (1,848 mm)

The Esprit is nearly 3 inches shorter.
Esprit: height 45.3 in (1,151 mm)
Evora: height 48.1 in (1,223 mm)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Do you go to Secor for service? How has it been?

Thanks, everyone for the thoughts!
ESPREE: i purchased my 2013 NA IPS from Secor and use them for service and warranty repair and am very happy. The Head Service person, Chris, is great and of course, I continuously rave about Steve Plona, the head salesman as a truly wonderful person.

As for service, they do a solid job and I have never had to bring it back for the same issue twice which is big considering I live in lower Fairfield County, CT. However, Chris, the head guy in service is a quiet guy, a good guy but quiet. I'm a little possessive with my cars so when I drop it off for service, I like updates and that you will not get so I end up calling to check in with them when they have her but that's me, not them.

All in all, I am happy with Secor and would recommend them. They may not have a large Lotus service team but then again who does! At least the guys at Secor know their stuff and are happy to help unlike other dealers. Good Luck and if you ever want to go for a drive, give me a holler.

Good luck with, as my son would say, a 1st World Problem :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
And get a SW20 MR2 Turbo while you're at it, quite fun in their own right. :D

I would love to have an Esprit also, lack of space and being at the edge of my wife's car tolerance level prevents that.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Esprit: width 74.1 in (1,882 mm)
Evora: width 72.8 in (1,848 mm)

The Esprit is nearly 3 inches shorter.
Esprit: height 45.3 in (1,151 mm)
Evora: height 48.1 in (1,223 mm)
Thank you for pulling the specs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts