The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2012 S is in for warranty work. Little niggles before the warranty expires. One of the issues I wanted them to look into was vague/notchy shifting. Much to my surprise, Lotus is replacing my entire transmission!! So, I have an opportunity to consider an upgraded clutch/flywheel. Honestly, I have no issues with the S flywheel/clutch set-up, but it's an opportunity to do a whole range of upgrades since I am not paying for the clam-off labor. I am concerned about drivability if I go much more aggressive than the stock set-up. Any opinions out there?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not certain where you'd want to go unless you were going to track the car. It's already a beefier setup with a lighter flywheel relative to the NA.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
your only real option is the lightweight flywheel VSA sells (9 pounds) IIRC it is fidanza made?

Regardless, if Lotus is doing it under warranty, expect some pushback. They would only put OEM back in mine when I had clutch warranty work back, period. So I went for the S parts on my NA.

Not saying don't do it, but just something to consider.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your only real option is the lightweight flywheel VSA sells (9 pounds) IIRC it is fidanza made?

Regardless, if Lotus is doing it under warranty, expect some pushback. They would only put OEM back in mine when I had clutch warranty work back, period. So I went for the S parts on my NA.

Not saying don't do it, but just something to consider.

I would pay for the clutch/flywheel myself, since that's not the problem. My thoughts are that it probably isn't worth doing given likely drivability issues, but I could be persuaded if someone has had a good experience. I really wanted to go with upgraded headers, but the dealer can't touch anything that alters the emissions set up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I went a little overboard and put a 3 puck ceramic clutch with an aluminum flywheel in one of my supercharged acura's and drivability SUCKED. You either had to break the tires loose after every stop or kill the car. Eventually it got "better" but I always kind of regretted it. My advice for a vehicle that costs $9,000 to replace a clutch in is don't risk making things worse later, freshen it up with a new S disk only.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I went a little overboard and put a 3 puck ceramic clutch with an aluminum flywheel in one of my supercharged acura's and drivability SUCKED. You either had to break the tires loose after every stop or kill the car. Eventually it got "better" but I always kind of regretted it. My advice for a vehicle that costs $9,000 to replace a clutch in is don't risk making things worse later, freshen it up with a new S disk only.
I tend to agree here. I added a heavier clamping clutch w/ lightweight flywheel to one of my previous cars & drivability was adversely affected. I also spun the wheels nearly every time I'd take off & it gets old pretty quick. Lightweight flywheels tend to rattle too since the dampening is removed from them. I got tired of hearing it every time I was at idle. Plus, I highly doubt Lotus would warranty any aftermarket clutch installations, which isn't a problem unless it fails. It's a gamble in the end.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
It wasn't paying for the clutch, it was lotus said they wouldn't do anything under warranty without oem parts. Period. I had to pay to upgrade I knew that and did pay for the a stuff. Just giving you a heads up as it was lotus USA's xall

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tend to agree here. I added a heavier clamping clutch w/ lightweight flywheel to one of my previous cars & drivability was adversely affected. I also spun the wheels nearly every time I'd take off & it gets old pretty quick. Lightweight flywheels tend to rattle too since the dampening is removed from them. I got tired of hearing it every time I was at idle. Plus, I highly doubt Lotus would warranty any aftermarket clutch installations, which isn't a problem unless it fails. It's a gamble in the end.

Very helpful. Those were my original thoughts, but I wanted to make sure I got some opinions. Seems like it's not really the right path to head down unless the car was primarily going to be tracked, where stop and start is not an issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts