The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some new rear tires for the Evora S (2012). Can anyone recommend some good tires that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know that my tires should be replaced soon. I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot 4s. I have 19" and 20" rims like you. Tires aren't cheap but Tire Rack seems to be the best price.

·
Registered
235 Posts
@AdamsWorld The answer is going to depend on what you define as "good". The grippy tires that a a lot of us run are not that good all-around since they don't work well when cold or in standing water. How are you using the car? If it's a real 3 or 4 season car, a good all-season will be inexpensive and work for everything except snow. For snow, get a real snow tires. If you drive less than a few thousand miles per year and only in good weather, get a good summer tire and realize that the tire will age out before it wears out.

Bridgestone, Dunlop, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli -- they are all a quality product.

One thing to avoid is to get a very sticky, race-oriented tire for street use. It's easy to ruin the excellent ride and steering characteristics of the stock evora by adding grip that you don't use. My autocross tires are not fun to drive around on because they grip so much that the car is no longer playful at safe speeds.

donour

·
Registered
2013 Lotus Evora S- Carbon Grey SOLD 2020 Lotus Evora GT Olive Green
278 Posts
#JustGetTheMichelins. (Pilot Sport 4s)

Just put a set on last year. They are great for the street. No complaints.
I second that! Run 245/35/19 285/30/20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
@AdamsWorld The DWS 06 is a fine tire. It’s affordable, very long lasting, and comes in lots of sizes. The pilots sport 4s is going to be better at most things, the dws is more tolerant of freezing temps.

donour

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
Conti ECS gets my vote. have them on both the Miata and Evora. Exceptional in rain , street and track.

Reactions: donour

·
Administrator
2,035 Posts
I was leaning towards the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. Thoughts?
I run them on my Elise. Very good tire and I got them for the ability to operate in cold conditions without damage to tire or degraded performance.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I put the Pilot 4S on mine last year and have been very happy with them.

I have the DWS on my Stelvio (and ran them on an A4 years ago) and they are great as are the Conti ECS on our A5. Personally I wouldn't put the DWS on the Evora as its an all season tire and mines a summer car so I'd rather go with a full summer performance tire. My only critism on the DWS is they seem to flat spot qucikly on the Alfa, it goes away quick but it's a bit annoying, I don't remember them doing it on the Audi, so it may just be due to the weight but a friend said they do it on his WRC too.

I also ran Firestone indy 500s on my old Mini. I don't like Bridgestone/Firestone tires but they really surprised me ad were a fanatstic tire for the money and I believe others on here used them on the Evora.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts

·
Administrator
2,035 Posts
I called Conti when decided on my street set for the Elise and I wanted to be able to drive in 30 deg weather and they said to avoid the Extreme Contact Sport Here's from the link you posted..... ExtremeContact Sport is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I called Conti when decided on my street set for the Elise and I wanted to be able to drive in 30 deg weather and they said to avoid the Extreme Contact Sport Here's from the link you posted..... ExtremeContact Sport is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
That quote is the tagline TireRack puts on all summer tires. Further down is the advice specific to these:
Note:: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
Regardless of tire's ability to roll in 30 degrees, it will have No traction below 40 degrees.

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Administrator
2,035 Posts
I had seen that and that’s why I called conti with my question. The car stays in climate control and I have another set of wheels that I run R888r on and I wanted to run the summer contacts but I also wanted to drive in 30 degrees that’s when they suggested DWS-06 which is what PO ran as DD tires. Besides the ability to actually drive in 30 degree weather tires need to be able to handle our pop up deluges. We can get an inch of unforcast rain in minutes. Yes I would rather run the summer tires but in interest of safety and since I have the track setup I opted to go DWS

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Regardless of tire's ability to roll in 30 degrees, it will have No traction below 40 degrees.
I can assure you that this tire does have more traction than even the DWS at this temperature after having driven both significantly. It is not a large margin, but it is perfectly adequate. You'll also see that I live in the south, where this is not a major worry. When I lived near DC, technically also the south but oh so barely, I went with the DWS because of the temperature concern. I don't see a locale in the OP's posts, so this of course needs to be factored in.

@Catsailr27 has the right idea - if you must compromise, don't hamstring the poor car year-round. After a long enough time period, having dedicated tires pays for itself other than the wheels. That being said, I did a track day in West Virginia during a terrible deluge and chased down a WRX with my ECS. Granted, I was certainly working harder than him, but I do consider that my rain tire (when it isn't worn down, of course).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just put firestone Indy 500 on mine, based on reviews here. I’m pretty happy with them, and even if I wasn’t, for the price I’d just deal with it.... I can’t believe they are as cheap as they are

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have MP4S on my 400 and love them. The grip is great and in crappy conditions the car does not become unsafe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts