The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to do about 100 miles early this morning with little traffic through some great twisty roads in the mountains east of San Diego. OMG, this thing is phenomenal! I know these roads very well and have driven all of my formers cars on these roads as well as a borrowed Gallardo and a 360 Modena spyder. This car may be my favorite of them all. It feels so damn quick anytime the revs are over 3k. Come out of a tight turn and get on the throttle and it is just flying before you know it. I realize the technical performance figures are quite similar for this car and my Elise S and my R8, but this car genuinely feels quicker. The handling has a feel to it that is so hard to explain to people that have not driven a Lotus. When I got back, I immediately got in the R8 and went for some of my favorite on/off ramps.

Well, they are both REALLY good. The feel is quite different. The lotus feels lighter and quicker. The R8 sounds better of course and I miss the downshift blips from the automated manual clutch (despite graduating Skip Barber, I still suck at heal/toe and blips with a manual transmission). I feel very safe in the audi with quattro and also probably due to doing a 2 day R8 program at Sonoma--I have a good feel for the limits. I am still getting used to the Evora so not anywhere near the limit.

I hope to get the Larini exhaust installed this week and that will hopefully do the trick for a sound that matches the performance of the car. The "tone" of the stock exhaust in sport mode is not bad and in fact probably the best I have heard from a V6, but it just needs to be louder and have some pops and burbles when you change gears and let off the gas. I am hoping I get this from the Larini. It did the trick for my Elise SC so I am hopeful.

On a different topic, for those that may not have seen it, there is a very in depth article on skiddmark.com that is over in the general session dealing with the DRB-Hicom issues. It is a bit depressing. Lets hope they get their act together and keep this company moving forward. I can't decide whether I am excited that I got one before they may be in very short supply or whether I worry that I won't have a warranty that is honored or can't get parts. After my drive this morning, I am going with point 1. There is just nothing like this car at any price. I walked back in the house and told my wife that I am one lucky boy to be able to drive these cars on some great roads. Woo-freakin-hoo!

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Great write up. These cars are definately fun!
I agree with the "tone" of the stock exhaust. Did you get the Larini with the valve? And, did you get a decat pipe too?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Look forward to your eval of the Larini.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
...I hope to get the Larini exhaust installed this week and that will hopefully do the trick for a sound that matches the performance of the car. The "tone" of the stock exhaust in sport mode is not bad and in fact probably the best I have heard from a V6, but it just needs to be louder and have some pops and burbles when you change gears and let off the gas. I am hoping I get this from the Larini. It did the trick for my Elise SC so I am hopeful.
I think you're gonna want the test/decat pipe as well then. Otherwise the main cat will burn the residual fumes before it can ignite to produce the lovely burbles and pops.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you're gonna want the test/decat pipe as well then. Otherwise the main cat will burn the residual fumes before it can ignite to produce the lovely burbles and pops.
I didn't think Larini had a decat pipe for the S? Only the N/A?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
So the typical question, what about CELs? Look forward to hearing your results (pun).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Shouldn't throw any the o2 sensors are high up immediately post main cat in the headers. If you go with aftermarket headers you have to add some sort of cat back in where the third one used to be but otherwise no effects.

On the s the valve seems to cause issues as previously mentioned but that's about it

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Before I ordered, I emailed back and forth with Shinoo at Sector111 inquiring about possible CELs. His original email was:

“We are the Larini dealer in the US. We have the Evora S muffler here on our website: Larini Evora 'S' Sports Muffler No CEL with these systems.”

I then asked him specifically about the delete pipe (Larini refers to it as a “Race Pipe”) and possible CELs. I told him that I didn’t want to use the Larini "Race" pipe because of the possibility of CELs. His response was:

“That part is a resonator not a catalytic convertor. Larini have developed a straight pipe that deletes this. I think this, along with a Larini Sport muffler will be perfect for your car. These are all bolt on parts and require no modifications. No CEL as the stock cats are maintained.”

For now, I will be keeping the OEM headers with the original cats. From what I've seen in photos and read, the original sensors are just before and just after the cats in the OEM headers, so there is no other sensor downstream by the delete pipe or muffler. (I hope I have this right. Anyone with more knowledge please pipe in.) Based on that and his email, I am confident it will be CEL free.:clap:

Also, although you can order a valved or non-valved muffler for the S, the Larini Evora S muffler with control valve is supposed to utilize the OEM feeds. I went with a valved one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Before I ordered, I emailed back and forth with Shinoo at Sector111 inquiring about possible CELs. His original email was:

“We are the Larini dealer in the US. We have the Evora S muffler here on our website: Larini Evora 'S' Sports Muffler No CEL with these systems.”

I then asked him specifically about the delete pipe (Larini refers to it as a “Race Pipe”) and possible CELs. I told him that I didn’t want to use the Larini "Race" pipe because of the possibility of CELs. His response was:

“That part is a resonator not a catalytic convertor. Larini have developed a straight pipe that deletes this. I think this, along with a Larini Sport muffler will be perfect for your car. These are all bolt on parts and require no modifications. No CEL as the stock cats are maintained.”

For now, I will be keeping the OEM headers with the original cats. From what I've seen in photos and read, the original sensors are just before and just after the cats in the OEM headers, so there is no other sensor downstream by the delete pipe or muffler. (I hope I have this right. Anyone with more knowledge please pipe in.) Based on that and his email, I am confident it will be CEL free.:clap:

Also, although you can order a valved or non-valved muffler for the S, the Larini Evora S muffler with control valve is supposed to utilize the OEM feeds. I went with a valved one.

Coincidentally, I spoke with him last week as well and he said the same thing. Makes sense, as all the upgrades are after the cats/O2 sensors. He mentioned that he had a local customer who was about to install this set up on an S. Perhpas, he was referring to you. Please share your before/after experiences. It would be great to have an audio feed of the before after sound with both systems and valve on/valve off settings. Super excited to learn how this goes for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably referring to me. I ordered it last week and hoping it will be in this week. There was some question that the MY12 S's didn't have the extra muffler that would be replaced with the pipe. We ordered both and will find out once they go to install. Glad to hear that others have gotten the same input that we shouldn't have CEL's. Not many of these done and I think I am the first S model they have done the installation on so we shall see. I will post my experience once I have it. No set date yet, waiting for it to arrive. BTW, at the time I ordered he noted they only had one in stock here in the US. That may have changed, but was the case as of a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great. Feel free to PM me as well since we are both in the Golden State and interested in similar mods to MY2012 S models.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Probably referring to me. I ordered it last week and hoping it will be in this week. There was some question that the MY12 S's didn't have the extra muffler that would be replaced with the pipe.
Yes martinm1, it probabbly was you they were referring to as I am across the country from Sector111.

I was also told that they did not have them in stock as they were built to order and it should take about 4 weeks for my system to come in. He was going to contact Larini this week for an actual ETA.

Once again, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Federal 2012 S still has the 3rd Main Cat as Lotus calls it. Only the Non-US 2012 S models have the cat delete pipe from the factory.

And, martinm1, if you are there when they do the install, please take some photos and let us know how difficult the install was. I plan to tackle the install myself but I’d like to know in advance if there are any issues.

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
Once again, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Federal 2012 S still has the 3rd Main Cat as Lotus calls it. Only the Non-US 2012 S models have the cat delete pipe from the factory.
Correct, at least on earlier MY12 production. And it is a Cat as lotus calls it not just another resonator. Not all cats need a closed loop lamba sensor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure. I plan to be there and hang out while they do it. Unfortunately, my mechanical skills were completely absorbed in the gene pool by my ace mechanic older brother; leaving me with the inability to put together even Ikea furniture! Thanks for the input on the decat pipe. As you know with Lotus, there could always be a surprise when they take a look. I have a dead pedal, but most don't. No idea when they started putting them in or if they did for all of them. Given all of the issues around paying their suppliers and parts shortages, it may depend on whether they actually have the part when it gets assembled--just sayin! My window sticker was on the paper for a "non S" car. VIN, price, options were all correct. Called Lotus and they apparently manually feed to 2 templates into the printer to print options, VIN, etc and must have gotten the wrong one. Good news was they sent me 2 copies of a corrected one and also several really nice little books on the Evora and also an EVO "magbook" on the history of Lotus cars--very nice gesture.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Regarding the CEL discussion -- despite the elimination of the stock main cat (aka resonator) and silencer, no CEL issues for either Plackslayer or myself (we have the same custom exhaust). No fume smell either. It seems the stock exhaust manifolds with integrated precats handle the majority of the work.:up: (Although I'm not saying it would pass smog, I just haven't tried. I assume it wouldn't otherwise why would Lotus even require one for federal Evoras, right?).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed it is. From a perspective standpoint, keep in mind that this basic story has probably been written many times in the history of Lotus. Also, note that in 2008, the US was very close to losing GM and Chrysler. Today they are back and doing well. Lotus has many things that are very special and it is hard to believe that the Brits will allow it to go down. I do think the next 6-12 months will be bumpy if you want a new car delivered or need parts for repair. I am hopeful.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Re: The article on skiddmark.com, extremely upsetting.
Well schit. I just read that article. Things are pretty doom and gloom if the article's an accurate description of current conditions.

:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts