The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy and Happy New Year!!
I'm on the prowl for a used Evora 400 and have seen a few cars with 5k-10K miles with decent wear on the drivers seat bolster. I've seen some posts about this dating back to the 2010 - 2014 era but nothing on the later model 400's or GT's yet. The attached photo of a 2017 400 has just under 10K miles and pretty evident wear on the outside edge (just outside of the outer stitch) of the seat bolster.
1) Is this normally/commonly seen?
2) Has anyone had a upholsterer attempt repair especially since some have airbags in these seats?
3) Any input to mitigate the potential problem?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Howdy and Happy New Year!!
I'm on the prowl for a used Evora 400 and have seen a few cars with 5k-10K miles with decent wear on the drivers seat bolster. I've seen some posts about this dating back to the 2010 - 2014 era but nothing on the later model 400's or GT's yet. The attached photo of a 2017 400 has just under 10K miles and pretty evident wear on the outside edge (just outside of the outer stitch) of the seat bolster.
1) Is this normally/commonly seen?
2) Has anyone had a upholsterer attempt repair especially since some have airbags in these seats?
3) Any input to mitigate the potential problem?

Thanks much!

View attachment 1256814
I’ve got my 2010 and 54k with more wear, and while I didn’t find any way to dye it (Recaro never responded my email for the right “oyster “ color), it didn’t got any worse, as I don’t lean on it when getting in and out. I assume you need to fine a car from a 150lb athlete and you won’t have any wear :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
251 Posts
I would say it's still common. My car is a '17 Evora 400 and when I purchased it used in 4/2018, it had 989 miles. The bolster wear was about 50% of what you're showing in the picture above. I purposely get in and out of the car in such a way to avoid contact with that area, so it hasn't gotten worse (now at 7800 miles), but it still bugs me (Especially when I purchased the car sight unseen, asked the seller about the bolster wear I saw in some of the pictures, and they basically touched it up with a sharpie to make subsequent pictures look better). BTW, Sharpie is not a permanent solution. :(

Reactions: nintense

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say it's still common. My car is a '17 Evora 400 and when I purchased it used in 4/2018, it had 989 miles. The bolster wear was about 50% of what you're showing in the picture above. I purposely get in and out of the car in such a way to avoid contact with that area, so it hasn't gotten worse (now at 7800 miles), but it still bugs me (Especially when I purchased the car sight unseen, asked the seller about the bolster wear I saw in some of the pictures, and they basically touched it up with a sharpie to make subsequent pictures look better). BTW, Sharpie is not a permanent solution. :(
Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear about the "sharpie" solution... that was not cool by them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Illegal Alien
4,999 Posts
The S1 Recaro's had it worse, between soft leather protruding into egress zone and partial penetration dye, that is what you get.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have close to 40k with next to no wear on my S1. I am quite careful getting in and out, so I assume the previous owner may have been also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Besides the bolster wear, another common issue you're seeing there is the untucking of the leather from the seat at the base. My 400 has that issue as well

·
Registered
390 Posts
Besides the bolster wear, another common issue you're seeing there is the untucking of the leather from the seat at the base. My 400 has that issue as well
Do a search here on "untucking"; there is a simple fix available from the dealer with clips.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Bolsters and fatties cause wear issues. Easy enough to redye. Just contact Leatherique. They may request a small leather sample to match perfectly.

Reactions: FlatCrank

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do a search here on "untucking"; there is a simple fix available from the dealer with clips.
mine untucked but my dealer said the clips are more likely to cause a worse, future tearing issue. They stretched and re-epoxied it as best they could and it looks fine.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh....shoot, I didn't even see that. Thanks for the keen eye!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts