The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it’s happened to me too, my evora shifter just went limp on me like some over cooked pasta and I’ve been stranded waiting for a tow truck. I can see for certain that the blue ball is what snapped but now I’m wondering, what are my options? I really don’t want to spend 2k on the whole shifter assembly so is there someone who has got around it? I drive a 2011. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Not in the how to's but I know there is a thread with your options in here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If it's the same as the exige shifter, and I think it is. I have one for sale. I also have one that the reverse lockout doenst work on, and a broken one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Some threads to read:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve done a fair bit of searching already while waiting for the tow truck and couldn’t find a definitive answer. From what I’ve gathered shinoo was developing some sort of upgraded shifter assembly, monkey wrench has a shifter assembly upgrade for 1k, I’m more so wondering if there’s a direct replacement to the little blue ball thing. Someone had mentioned part number 46 under the diagram 47.05 as being the solution but that just looks like the lever to me. Any input?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I don't believe the Evora shifter assembly and the Exige ones are the same. They might share the same blue ball syndrome, but AFAIK, they're different parts.

Since you can't get the shift lever for the early cars by itself (including the blue ball), you have to buy the whole shifter assembly. If you're going to do that, I'd advise at least going with the MY12+ assembly & cables, as they're supposed to be much better than the earlier ones. And they redesigned the assembly to where the shift lever is a separate part. If you'd rather not do that, you can go the aftermarket route with the Inokinetic shiftr. Or try and find a shop that can repair/rebuild the blue ball section.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe the Evora shifter assembly and the Exige ones are the same. They might share the same blue ball syndrome, but AFAIK, they're different parts.

Since you can't get the shift lever for the early cars by itself (including the blue ball), you have to buy the whole shifter assembly. If you're going to do that, I'd advise at least going with the MY12+ assembly & cables, as they're supposed to be much better than the earlier ones. And they redesigned the assembly to where the shift lever is a separate part. If you'd rather not do that, you can go the aftermarket route with the Inokinetic shiftr. Or try and find a shop that can repair/rebuild the blue ball section.
Thank you sir, that’s pretty much the answer I was looking for/afraid of. So now I’m between the my12, inokentic or the monkeywrench racing options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just to be sure before I drop 1k on this thing, where did you find that you cant buy the lever and blue ball combo for the early models?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Just to be sure before I drop 1k on this thing, where did you find that you cant buy the lever and blue ball combo for the early models?
If you look on Deroure, under 47.05, you'll see part #1 (E132F0004F) which is the shifter assembly for the early S1s that had the gray shifter cables. That's the only part # Lotus offers for anything closely related to the shift lever, which the blue ball is a part of. In one or more of those above-linked threads, others that experienced this tried to get just the shift lever and was told it was not available separately from the shifter assembly. It's possibly they rectified this on the later MY12+ shifter assemblies, since they now list part 46, which appears to be just the lever portion. But the MY12+ shifter assembly uses different cables, so it would be an entire swap-out. Some early S1 owners were fortunate enough to get Lotus to swap the shifter assemblies out under warranty/customer satisfaction, but they stopped doing that. I believe they even had a part # for the MY12+ shifter assembly + cables "kit" that could be retrofitted into early S1s, but they stopped selling those.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Upgrade to ShiftR is a lot more than fixing the problem- it’s a real noticeable upgrade!

I have a complete oe shift box of my 2010, in a great condition. If you’re not convinced to upgrade I’ll sell it for reasonable offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Maniacal Motorist
39 Posts
Go for the ShiftR111+ from Inokinetic. Grab TRANScables while you’re at it. It’s a much better set-up, and you’ll never have to worry about a thing again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A very helpful thread. I just went to Inokinetic's website, printed the info and photos on the shifter and cables, and tucked it all away in the tranny section of my parts book,.....just in case.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
A very helpful thread. I just went to Inokinetic's website, printed the info and photos on the shifter and cables, and tucked it all away in the tranny section of my parts book,.....just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I believe you can purchase just the blue ball and gear lever from the Dealer. Of course, our shiftR111 is a better long term fix...
shinoo, do you know if the shift lever of the shiftR can be shortened? I really like the feel and height of the 400's shift lever, and I think if I were to upgrade to the shiftR I'd want the lever to be shorter. I realize that would change the leverage.

·
Registered
774 Posts
shinoo, do you know if the shift lever of the shiftR can be shortened? I really like the feel and height of the 400's shift lever, and I think if I were to upgrade to the shiftR I'd want the lever to be shorter. I realize that would change the leverage.
The throw is shorter slightly from the stock 2011. The position is slightly changed so it's hard to evaluate. From the construction, I don't see any way you could reasonably shorten it more. I suspect the transmission-end method would still work though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had the same thing happen and went with the Inokinetic setup with cables. I know it a pricey item, but the shifter makes all the difference in the world. It’s probably the one “must do” mod for the Evora manual

1 - 20 of 22 Posts