The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MY11 Evora S had some problems with the 2nd and 3rd gear change, especially when hot.

I've found some precious informations in these threads :

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/short-throw-shifter-123965/

Gearchange Issues dissected - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums

1st : I tried to adjust the cable near the gear shifter as explained in the second thread :
I removed the alloy-look panel (5 clips) and tried to shorten the left/right moving cable. Unfortunately, it was already adjust to the minimum.

(photo from thelotusforum, I didn't take one)

2nd : I tried to adjust the cable near the gearbox :
I removed the airbox lid and filter, removed the 3 screws inside to move the airbox up and left and get acces to the cables.
The left/right moving cable is the one you see on the right :

Good news : my MY11 Evora seems to have the MY12 upgrade :

As seen on another thread, the old cables (->2011) look like these :

And to see the differences :

It was very easy to remove the ball joint, shorten it and after trying in the car I found the right adjustment

After a road test, I'm very happy with the result. It's not a miata gearbox but it's OK!

If you decide to make the MY12 upgrade, you have to change the cables but also all the gearshift/parking brake assembly and the cables to gearbox mounting system (nuts/washers instead of a spring clip). You can buy each part from Lotus or the entire Lotus Sport kit :

·
Registered
216 Posts
Excellent write-up; thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Glad to read that you were successful. The big difference in the MY12 shifter is that the cables are secured also at the shifter end, giving them much better guidance.

·
Evora '10
52 Posts
Evora shift cable kit group buy started

Hello,
I've decided to do MY12 shift cable upgrade to my 2010 Evora and requested group buy from BRG. I've had rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and read many positive remarks about improvements from 2012 upgrade. Any, promoting for those that may be interested. It is posted under classified www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/evora-shift-cable-upgrade-kit-group-buy-250649/

Just finished installing Passport 9600 so use to living under car!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW...going from 2010 to the latest 2012 cables ( there are a few versions from 2012) definitely improves the 1-2 shift, and shifting overall. But, the 1-2 shift still isn't great. The rest get cleaned up much more dramatically.

·
Registered
2012 Evora S, 2001 Porsche Boxster, 2018 Audi A3
116 Posts
How does one know which cable to adjust, and which direction to adjust it? I did adjustments on my Elan M100 many years ago when I put upgraded cables on it, but I really don't remember squat about it now.

My problem right now is that about 50% of the time, I can't get it into 2nd gear when trying to downshift. When it won't go, it just won't go. It's like something's physically blocking it, until I first force it into 1st, then it will go into 2nd. When it will go, it generally needs me to have a light touch on the shifter, and I feel like I'm actually moving the shifter slightly toward the right as I move it aft into 2nd. It doesn't grind at all -- ever -- and all the other gears shift up or down quite nicely all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts