The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh,

I was sideswiped by another driver last week. The impact seemed pretty hard. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning for an inspection. I wanted to get some input as to what things I should make sure that they specifically look at.

I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
How frustrating! Good luck. Seems small but won't be cheap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I dosnt look cracked or anything. The front clam and bumper is a no brainer. Your light may need to be replaced if it got hit. Your rim looks like it needs to be sorted too.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I see some irony in your avatar.

That seriously sucks

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Check your wheel alignment too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That won't be cheap to repair. The clam and front bumper are a lot of money. Make sure the assessor is very through in getting a estimate for what needs to be replaced.

I would have them remove the wheel and look for suspension damage as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My lotus dealer is telling me that after putting the car on the rack and inspecting it, that the clam is not damaged and can be put back into place, and they believe the bumper will buff out. Does this sound legitimate?

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing it, but I cannot imagine that from the picture that is all simply snaps back into place and can be buffed out.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Any repair has to be 'accepted' so you work with your dealer who in turn works with the insurance and inform the dealer to let you know if any corners are being taken or insurance gives them any trouble. Then when complete, go with a fine tooth comb and only accept/sign after you are fully satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My lotus dealer is telling me that after putting the car on the rack and inspecting it, that the clam is not damaged and can be put back into place, and they believe the bumper will buff out. Does this sound legitimate?

Thanks again for all of the feedback.
I was thinking the same thing. The bumper is very flexible, no need to replace unless there is a crack. The clam would be the same, though likely a fixation or two may have been damaged, but that can be repaired.

Most important would be the alignment check, the only thing not visible to the naked eye.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The bumper is very flexible, no need to replace unless there is a crack. The clam would be the same, though likely a fixation or two may have been damaged, but that can be repaired.

Most important would be the alignment check, the only thing not visible to the naked eye.
I agree, IF there are no stress cracks, and only a few torn mounting points, I think it would be preferable to repair those, rather than try to match the paint. New re-paint may look perfect when it leaves the body shop, but seldom does years later.

Definitely have them check the alignment, and any signs of bent control arms, or worse yet bent pick up points on the chassis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're extremely lucky your bumper didn't crack. I had mine burst a seam when a truck threw a large piece of debris into me on the freeway. Had that fixed and a month later my nose was backed into in a parking lot. Cracked in another place. I had a quote done to replace the front bumper (not wanting to have a Frankenstein car) - $6K ouch! Sorry to hear you're baby has had similar luck, hope she turns out good as new. Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts