The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at a car built in Jan 2012 with virtually no mileage. It's an N/A IPS. What kind of maintenance is required to get this car safely on the road?

I read that Lotus went through the Chinese cars but have been unable to find any kind of checklist. Abe was talking about a pre-delivery inspection but again I'm not sure exactly what is involved. Is there a list of items that I should make sure are addressed? Oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, coolant, maybe belts and hoses come to mind.

Any help would be appreciated. Steve

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I would change the oil/filter, flush the coolant, bleed the brakes, check tire pressures(probably flat spots for sitting so long), and if possible...hand crank the engine to get the oil moving before starting it.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I wouldn't worry about oil or tranny fluid.

The brake fluid definitely, coolant yes. Next are the rubber seals, especially brake seals. Those don't like to sit for long periods.

If it hasn't been driven at all, then the fuel would be bad. Would need to clean injectors too.
Barry is probably pretty bad after sitting, if it hasn't been replaced.

Suspension bushings may be squished, but will probably quit squealing after some use. Tires will be flat spotted from sitting.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My 2010 n/a was unpurchased for almost 2 years. The only problem was the a/c, which started out below average in cooling and became progressively worse. When the lotus dealer opened in Dubai, I had it serviced. They said the lines had become blocked, probably from sitting for so long.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brakes and pads for sure. Tires as mentioned above. Was this car sitting inside or outside? This will impact what you should look for.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Make sure the dealer has done any/all TSB's, recalls, and latest ECU flash, as well as any updates to the stereo/nav.

·
Premium Member
7,536 Posts
For a NEW car, that is not a big deal!! Seriously esp if it was kept in a decent environment. Coolant IMHO is perfectly fine, brakes definitely need to be bled. Break in then change. Again its a Toyota motor folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts