The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody suggest a very good speaker replacement for the oem that the car came with? what are the specs for the evora front speakers?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I have Morel Tempo Ultra 602s. The stock size is 6.5" woofers in the doors, and I believe 1 1/4" tweeters in the dash. Most aftermarket tweeters have larger mounting cups though, so you might have to enlarge the opening.

Focal makes an excellent 6.5" component set, as does Hertz. It all comes down to cost and what sort of sound profile you're after. And if you plan on driving them with an aftermarket amp, or just with the stock amp.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
380 Posts
Almost any 6.5 component set is going to be better than stock. Like agentdr8 says, it just depends on how far you want to go. The higher end you go with speakers, the more necessary it becomes to drive them with an amp, or you won't be getting the best out of them.

Pay some attention to the size of the crossovers, too... there's a fair bit of room behind the panels where the factory ones are, but some manufacturer's crossovers are so big they won't fit,and you'll have to find a different place to hide them. The ones that came with my Hertz fit, but it's a tight squeeze iirc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I try to go forward...
somebody knows if there are lightweight speakers? maybe active speakers? that should be interesting!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Almost any 6.5 component set is going to be better than stock. Like agentdr8 says, it just depends on how far you want to go. The higher end you go with speakers, the more necessary it becomes to drive them with an amp, or you won't be getting the best out of them.

Pay some attention to the size of the crossovers, too... there's a fair bit of room behind the panels where the factory ones are, but some manufacturer's crossovers are so big they won't fit,and you'll have to find a different place to hide them. The ones that came with my Hertz fit, but it's a tight squeeze iirc.
I have been considering the Hertz system. Did you also change out the crossover and if so where was that located? Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I installed JL 525 component speakers and have been pleased with them - this replaces both the tweeter in the door pillar and the woofer in the door. They also have an external crossover which you can fit on the front door pillar. You really need an amplifier- a 4 channel amp works well bridged for the subwoofer which you also really need to replace. The headunit is really the only decent quality component of the stock stereo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been considering the Hertz system. Did you also change out the crossover and if so where was that located? Thanks
I have older hertz speakers, their Mille line, ML280 + ML1600.2 (not in a lotus)

they are great speakers, tweeters are on the bright side and midbass loves a lot of power. Depending on which hertz speakers you are considering, if you are considering the Mille line a amp is a necessity.

I would also consider adding sound dreading to the door

hertz makes great speakers, also numerous other quality brands out there, I have read and heard excellent things about Audiofrog, mostly their GB line as well as Hybrid Audio, they have a few lines of products as well At various price points.

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Someday folks will need to track the source of speakers from many of these companies back to one source. Powerbass is the parent company for multiple brands, at least that's what I was educated about years back. My guy was no fool as he was a sonar tech on a navy sub for years and has won multiple national titles then went on to be a judge. Probably not state of the art in 2020, but if you ever went for a ride in one of his show cars :love:. Is was not about ear splitting volume, it was profound accuracy and clarity. I still remember Hotel Cali from the live album and was 100% blown away, I thought I was front row center..

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
380 Posts
I did.. you should absolutely be using the crossovers that come with any component system you switch to, even though fishing the new wires through to the door is a pain. I suppose I could've used the factory wires, but I didn't want to cut any of the factory connectors in case I wanted to revert.

Factory crossovers are located directly behind the panel above/in front of the sill panel. The ones that came with my Hertz HSK165XL's were too big to fit there though, so I put them on the "sill shelf" under the dash on each side. I chose the Hertz because I wanted silk dome tweeters and not titanium.

So it looks like I lied/forgot about where I put the crossovers in my old post.. lol! (and sorry for the delayed response!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
The JL crossovers I put in were also quite large. I put them under the dashboard on the door pillar just above where the wires for the door window winders and locks go.
2020-01-19 14.32.07.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts