The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we test drove one of the candidates we are considering, a 2017 Evora 400. During our personal inspection we noticed something interesting about the taillights.

See that clear center area? It's got a reflector and a lens - but it doesn't have a bulb! There is a three-tabbed open circle in the reflector that looks like you'd twist-lock a bulb receptacle into it, much like dozens of other taillights do. But on both taillights that open circle was simply an empty hole going right through the reflector.

We tested the lights. The brakelights are the ring of red LED's. The turn and hazard signals blink those same red LED's. The backup lights are entirely separate, down below in the rear tire vents. So all the usual lighting functions are there. Yet this assembly clearly supports another bulb in the middle. Given the clear lens, it could be an amber light, or perhaps an alternative backup light. Perhaps it's something required by another jurisdiction and they just leave it unpopulated for the US market.

The owner's manual is silent on this. Its illustration of the rear of the car does not call out this center section individually.

Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
548 Posts
This has been covered. In short USA lights don't have a bulb. Rest of world does. This had a direct relationship with the resistance of the turn signal wiring and the DRLs in the series 1 evora.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your responses. I'm not surprised there's a single taillight assembly shared by multiple build options. From the deroure.com illustration it appears that the center insert is not available separately from the entire taillight assembly. Once we have an Evora we might want to add lights there... perhaps I'll design up something to be 3D printed that can hold a nice LED. Could be supplemental backup lights, amber turn signals, etc. If nothing else there should be a plug in there to prevent accumulation of dust, dirt, and debris which could otherwise cloud the reflector and the lens.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If nothing else there should be a plug in there to prevent accumulation of dust, dirt, and debris which could otherwise cloud the reflector and the lens.
The area behind is well sealed because it is the trunk area. There is a rubber gasket. If water or grim got there, you would have a major mess elsewhere too. I had my lights out at 50k miles and they were like new. It's <5 minutes to take them out.

donour

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
548 Posts
Personally I swapped to the row lights and disconnected the DRLs.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I didn't know if the area was actually sealed off. I don't possess an Evora yet to dig in and find out. {grin}

I thought I read that entire thread but missed that an existing socket exists. That's very helpful, thank you. No sense in reinventing the wheel!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ah, I didn't know if the area was actually sealed off. I don't possess an Evora yet to dig in and find out. {grin}

I thought I read that entire thread but missed that an existing socket exists. That's very helpful, thank you. No sense in reinventing the wheel!
On my previous MY '12S, I did the DRL delete. Then, to fix the rapid blink cycle for turn signals, installed socket with orange bulb in tail lights. Brought turn signal cycling to nornal rate and added nice color touch; very simple to do. The added socket needs one holding tab slight shaved if I recall.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a set of the Euro/ROW taillights if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The added socket needs one holding tab slight shaved if I recall.......
I noticed it appears to have four tabs while the reflector has only three slots, but wasn't going to get that pedantic about it (I'm new here {grin}). Worst case, as I said, it wouldn't be hard to craft up a 3D printed part to do the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts