The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rear tires are done at 7200. I guess I got decent mileage out of them. My issue is they wore on the inside shoulders. Is this normal. I bought the car new with 200 miles on it and as long as I've had it don't remember any knocks that would've potentially knocked it out of alignment. So is it possible it came from the factory out of alignment or do they all wear on the inside shoulders.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
More miles than I get on a set of Corsas, if it's just road wear then the inside shoulder is what goes first. If you haven't worn down to the first two (from inside-out) wear bars in the treads then you might want to look at your alignment/camber.

Reactions: brgelise and KCZ

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
246 Posts
Hello,
There have been prior discussions on this forum (I think) regarding early wear of the rear Evora tires. My independent Lotus Mechanic (Rob Dietsch) Bay Area recommended an alignment very early (I think I had around 1400 miles at the time) to try to correct the settings from the factory that consistently lead to early wear (approx 8000 miles and they are done).
I've only got about 3500 miles now, but so far, it appears that his setup is working (I can't detect any uneven wear). Unfortunately, I never got a printout of the alignment specs after he did it, so I have no idea what he did.

Bottom line, the factory alignment is known to wear down the rear tires unevenly.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
S cars are aligned for performance driving , not highway milage thus reason the insides wear first. Mine di that a bit less than yours becauae I put 3 track days on the Corsas. I have dialed out a bit of toe, bordering on toe out (WOW is turn in crisp now!!!)and dialed in more negative camber for track use. 7200 on a set of Corsas is NOT BAD AT ALL. 5000 is typical!

Reactions: XHILR8N!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
+1 with BRG..........

Had the same problem with my IPS on Pzero's. Take some toe out.

·
Registered
2013 Lotus Evora S- Carbon Grey SOLD 2020 Lotus Evora GT Olive Green
255 Posts
My 2013 S had an alignment problem tires were down to the belts in 3300 miles. Ended up taking it to a highly recommended tire shop by some other Lotus owners in the area.

Here's what they found......

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449369427.661769.jpg

This was the after with 160 pounds in each seat........

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449369472.966839.jpg

The car even drove different after the alignment was done!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Got 5,500 miles out of my original set of Corsas and they wore exactly like yours. I'd say it's normal. What isn't normal is how filthy that car is. Look at it! Wash it, will ya?

·
Registered
2013 Lotus Evora S- Carbon Grey SOLD 2020 Lotus Evora GT Olive Green
255 Posts
The tire place that I went to told me that.....I should get about 7-8000 miles on them. They said if I get less then I'm driving too hard and if I get more then I'm not driving hard enough! They are a Pirelli dealer.

Here are pictures of the tires.....

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449421266.093389.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449421285.218576.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449421304.791714.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1449421320.738670.jpg

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmm, I'm not that bad after 13k. I guess I need to drive it a bit harder.....what horrible news.........

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Ours corded out on the rear insides like that at 8,200. Yes it's the factory alignment that contributed, set that way quite on purpose.

Straight line driving seems to accelerate (ha!) the wear. Throw her through some turns like she's set up for and love those great tires!!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I figured the factory set up was aggressive but the wear on the inside and how quick it showed up alarmed me a little so I wanted to make sure something wasn't amiss. I knew from reading that I got decent mileage out of them but thought it was more even.

Of course the Irish guy in me hates to see a tire only 'half' worn:D

On the Elise I'm managing around 8000 on the AD08s but the wear is pretty even on them. I got over 24000 on the fronts; a big bump from an off at the track knocked the front alignment out a lot and the insides of them wore quickly which is what got me concerned that I did something to the Evora.

It's got to in for some warranty work soon so I'll have them check the alignment anyway just to be sure. Maybe I can get 7500 miles next time:D

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Toe is a bit aggressive on rears IMHO. While car does not feel quite as glued to road now, I've removed the majority of the rear toe in and fronts are closer to zero as well. Camber alone does not do that at least on any car I've owned including my 2010 NA Evora.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine wear pretty evenly, but I only get about 4500 out of a set of P zeros, which in my experience are not worth the price. Switching to NT05s so even if they preform the same they cost a heck of a lot less!

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Wait till you hear how loud those NT05's are!!! That was the best part about the Corsas, Dot R's that drove like street tires till you heated them up.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Its the toe in that does the scrubbing Chris. If it was camber you'd see a wear pattern more like 6/32nds on outside, 4-5/32nds outer third, 3-4/32nds inner third and 1/32nd inner third. In other words, pretty even flat wear across the tire. That's how my Elise used to wear street tires due to aggressive track camber setting (why she cornered so damn well). Predominately inner edge wear is from the toe in scrub when that tire is on the inside of a corner. Feels stable because it is a countering force but its also slower. But yes, "S"s are set up aggressively and don't wear tires well with highway touring.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
My 2013 S had an alignment problem tires were down to the belts in 3300 miles. Ended up taking it to a highly recommended tire shop by some other Lotus owners in the area.

Here's what they found......

View attachment 636234

This was the after with 160 pounds in each seat........

View attachment 636242

The car even drove different after the alignment was done!

Your 0 toe in front is sweet and plenty in rear. I'd add a bit more negative camber in front to increase turn in bite, but...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wait till you hear how loud those NT05's are!!! That was the best part about the Corsas, Dot R's that drove like street tires till you heated them up.
Are they really that loud? I've got the plack exhaust so I don't feel like I'll hear them.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Are they really that loud? I've got the plack exhaust so I don't feel like I'll hear them.
Lol. Yeah, 'nuff said. I doubt you would. God I miss the sound of WOT. Only four more months to go :crying:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Evora tire wear

Just under 10.4K miles on the first set of Pirelli OEM rear tires. The wear is even.

Two trips to the Tail of the Dragon.

Currently the odometer is just under 28K miles on a set of rear Michelin pilot super sports with wear to spare (TireRack). Original fronts still going strong. Will likely replace the rears with another set of Michelins in the spring - hope to get at least 20K+ miles out of them - twice the Pirellis.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts