The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one who does track days with their Evora buy track insurance for possible damage? If so, what does it cost with what deductible? As many know, our regular car insurance typically exempts track days from protection. I have purchased it from Hagerty before for my $30K Miata, for $250-$350 a day with a $5K deductible. I assume a newer Evora (400 to GT) would be a multiple of that. What has been your experience?
Thx!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Typically 1% with a 10-15% deductable. It varies a little between carriers, but that is close enough for a rule of thumb.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
An annual policy for my Evora 400, with $100K insurance and $10K deductible, is $4600 per year. A 4 day policy is about $500.

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
So if you are a track regular like me, realize that at 4600/yr, within a few years you have paid for damages of a typical front or rear end event. Insurances vary on coverage. It is the "timed" concept that draws the red flag, or so I was told.

Reactions: Rjandern

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I currently do not have the Track Insurance. Like mentioned, I have seen Insurance Policies cover a persons car ONCE for a NON-TIMED event but that was out of good faith and they stipulated to that owner that it WILL NOT happen again. His rates shot up substantially. That car was worth about $60k and pretty much totaled the car.
I'm on the fence. I can do a lot of the major work, less paint & body prep, myself should something happen. It does not take much for an insurance company to "total" Lotus' no matter any accident.
I'd say front and/or rear clam damage = totaled to the insurance company no matter the situation.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I currently do not have the Track Insurance. Like mentioned, I have seen Insurance Policies cover a persons car ONCE for a NON-TIMED event but that was out of good faith and they stipulated to that owner that it WILL NOT happen again. His rates shot up substantially. That car was worth about $60k and pretty much totaled the car.
I'm on the fence. I can do a lot of the major work, less paint & body prep, myself should something happen. It does not take much for an insurance company to "total" Lotus' no matter any accident.
I'd say front and/or rear clam damage = totaled to the insurance company no matter the situation.
I was covered for a non-timed event with my normal insurance, and they dropped me afterwards. However, that was specifically because I used bad wording and they had me on record saying something that implied racing. It was a stretch to say the least, but they said their underwriters called the shot. If I hadn't gotten sloppy with my wording, I would've still been covered. Supposedly. Either way, they ended up paying out close to $20k, and I ended up with a better company afterwards.

To see for sure if your normal policy will cover you, @Lotuslvr , ask for a most recent copy of terms and do not mention why. When you get the document, look for the section titled "exclusions" and see what it says. If it only excludes competitive events (timed) then you are covered on track but not an autox in a parking lot. This varies by insurer and by state, so you just need to check your own policy. My current policy excludes "preparing for or participating in" a timed event, so I honestly don't know how they'd classify a track day. One could argue that, without any timed events on my calendar, I cannot be said to be preparing for one.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Obviously, check your own policy (latest copy, you know, the random mailers they send, yeah they sometimes have updates) and make your own decision, but here's my experience.

Dating back a few years, my insurance provider stated "no timed events are covered, drivers education is covered." So, HPDEs were mostly covered (Groups like HookedOnDriving, etc have statements about driver education being part of the charter). In fact, my agent's quote was "Light goes green, your policy goes red" Comically this meant I wasn't covered at an AutoX, but was for a HookedOnDriving track day. <shrug>

2 years ago, when shopping for insurance, after being out of a track car for a year or so, I noticed the terms had changed. Now, it's "tire on track" or "events." In fact, the wording is so vague, you wonder if they would not cover you for a club drive.

Anyway - back to the point. For the last two years, I buy track-day coverage. You can get some decent deals on multiday packages, but I can't guaranty my schedule, so I buy them one-off. For a $60k car, driving DE (non-timed, not wheel-to-wheel) - through Hagerty (underwritten by someone else, I believe) - it's about $300-$350 depending.

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Any group that insures for track day type things, can give you a quote in 15 minutes because their rates are based off the agreed value of the car, and maybe the track you're going to. It would be faster to get a quote than to ask here, IMO

·
Registered
147 Posts
My understanding is that every major carrier has amended their coverage clauses to exclude all in track events including HPDEs. This loophole has been closed and it's been talking about on a ton of forums.

I use on track insurance for my Evora and declare a value of $60k. The deductible is 10% and the policy costs just under $500 per event regardless of whether it's a 1 or 2 day event. I've shipped around and all of the companies are very close to each other in pricing for similar coverage.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
My understanding is that every major carrier has amended their coverage clauses to exclude all in track events including HPDEs.
This is simply not 100% true. Maybe 90% true? But why guess when you can know.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
My understanding is that every major carrier has amended their coverage clauses to exclude all in track events including HPDEs. This loophole has been closed and it's been talking about on a ton of forums.

I use on track insurance for my Evora and declare a value of $60k. The deductible is 10% and the policy costs just under $500 per event regardless of whether it's a 1 or 2 day event. I've shipped around and all of the companies are very close to each other in pricing for similar coverage.
That's similar to my experience with my 2005 Elise. It was $155 for two days, non competitive/untimed event at Laguna Seca. Agreed value of $26K.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is simply not 100% true. Maybe 90% true? But why guess when you can know.
Feel free to enlighten us on an exception but all of the major carriers I've looked at do not cover it. This includes Progressive, Geico, Allstate, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about. Then you have the added issues with these cars where many carriers said they wouldn't even insure it for the street. That was my experience with the Evora 400. It was basically Geico or Progressive only. Everyone else either doesn't insure in Florida anymore or had no idea what the car was, couldn't find the VIN in their system, and didn't want to insure it.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Feel free to enlighten us on an exception but all of the major carriers I've looked at do not cover it. This includes Progressive, Geico, Allstate, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about. Then you have the added issues with these cars where many carriers said they wouldn't even insure it for the street. That was my experience with the Evora 400. It was basically Geico or Progressive only. Everyone else either doesn't insure in Florida anymore or had no idea what the car was, couldn't find the VIN in their system, and didn't want to insure it.
Like I said previously, it varies by state even for a given insurer. I was covered on track by Geico in Michigan, for example, and at the time they were denying claims in other states on any "surface prepared for competition". I agree that HPDE coverage is nearly extinct, but it is easy enough to find out if your exact policy for your exact car in your exact state covers it, and this carries far greater weight than anything said on the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
We buy track insurance. At first we were buying the package deals of 6 events in a one year period. We found that the cost was about the same for yearly coverage so we switched. The current insurance covers two cars for just a little more than one. I buy the insurance not to cover the small damages and by small, I mean anything that is repairable. With the Lotus, I consider the insurance for catastrophic failure, thus the car is not repairable. All the other incidences, I have covered out of pocket because they are usually around the deductible. Either way, if you claim an incident, you won't be covered for around two years.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
361 Posts
Clearly the math favors even the track insurers as they continue to do it.

I offer some schools of thought:
If you were to total your car (or have the guy behind you total it) and you wouldn't just buy another with your extra cash, get the insurance.
Even if you qualify for above but your significant other would never let you live it down and it would be an on going source of pain, get the insurance. (speaking for a friend)

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I was a track rat for about 10 years. Did 15 to 20 events a year. All kinds of high speed “DE” events (I was authorized for the red run group with PCA which means passing anywhere on the track).

Someone always totaled a car at each and every track event......sometimes several cars got totaled. I’ve seen grown men cry because they can’t afford to pay for the car they just wrecked.

Me? I totaled my Exige S in the rain at NJMP at the 7 year mark. Unfortunately there was oil on the track that no one knew about (right after they pulled my car out of the Armco and continued the run group another car went right into the wall in the same spot. The track officials found the oil slick after that). No track insurance but I had the financial where with all to buy another Exige S and take all my completion parts off the wrecked car, then sold the wrecked car (Someone rebuilt it).

Moral of the story? It’s not a matter of if you will wreck your car, it’s when. I tell everybody that if you can‘t afford to write the check, get insurance or stay off the track.

By the way, insurance companies have gotten wise to all types of track events. Especially “Drivers Education” events. If you read your policy closely you will see they are not covered. I have Grundy insurance for several of my sports cars and they require a specific page signed separately that states I will not put my car on a track and if I do it is not insured. Period. My State Farm auto policy (for my regular cars) is very clear that any type of track event is not covered.

Reactions: FlatCrank

·
Administrator
1,446 Posts
Two years ago when I got my Elise I checked and at that time it was law in NC that your regular drivers insurance covered HPDE provided it wasn't a timed or wheel to wheel event. I'm with State Farm and if I remember right it was that state that was forcing the insurance to cover these events. Even my agent agree at that time what I read was true. This thread has me wanting to go review and see if those stipulations are still in place.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
@Catsailr27 If you find that clause, please let me know since I live in NC. My guess is that the insurance company would cover you once. Also, what about if you are attending a HPDE outside of NC, are you covered?
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
@eldonz @Catsailr27 I just received a copy of my NC policy, and it very clearly excludes HPDE, so no coverage for me with my policy.

"[We do not cover] use of a vehicle at a facility designed for racing or high performance driving unless such use is for an activity other than high performance driving "

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
@cyow5 It would not surprise me that your policy would not mention something specific to one state because they do not want to make you aware of it. We need to wait and see if there is a hidden state insurance law.
Later,
Eldon

1 - 20 of 37 Posts