The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some opinions/advice. A few years ago I wanted a lotus and was thinking about getting a esprit. I chickened out worrying about possible repair costs on an older car so decided to get a Evora S with a warranty instead.

So, I currently have a 2011 Evora S with 11,000 miles on it. I have had a few clutch problems and the latest one is requiring them to replace the cluch, which thank god they are going to warranty this time. They could not really pinpoint the problem, but they are re-setting the computer and basically told me if it goes out again its on me.. they said it cost 8k by the way to replace if I were to have to pay for it.

Anyways, once I get the Evora back.. I am considering selling it and buying an esprit before I put anymore miles on it. My thoughts are if I am already going to worry about clutch issues and things like that, I should have just got the car I wanted to begin with and the money I save by downgrading could go toward any possible repairs.

I wanted to wait for the new Esprits, but who knows when that will happen.. and the first ones that come out may possibly have issues anyways..

How bad of an idea is this? Are Esprits year 2000+ know to have more or less problems than evora's? Are Esprit clutch replacements just as expensive?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Hello all,

I need some opinions/advice. A few years ago I wanted a lotus and was thinking about getting a esprit. I chickened out worrying about possible repair costs on an older car so decided to get a Evora S with a warranty instead.

So, I currently have a 2011 Evora S with 11,000 miles on it. I have had a few clutch problems and the latest one is requiring them to replace the cluch, which thank god they are going to warranty this time. They could not really pinpoint the problem, but they are re-setting the computer and basically told me if it goes out again its on me.. they said it cost 8k by the way to replace if I were to have to pay for it.

Anyways, once I get the Evora back.. I am considering selling it and buying an esprit before I put anymore miles on it. My thoughts are if I am already going to worry about clutch issues and things like that, I should have just got the car I wanted to begin with and the money I save by downgrading could go toward any possible repairs.

I wanted to wait for the new Esprits, but who knows when that will happen.. and the first ones that come out may possibly have issues anyways..

How bad of an idea is this? Are Esprits year 2000+ know to have more or less problems than evora's? Are Esprit clutch replacements just as expensive?

Any thoughts are appreciated...
Stick with the Evora. The last Esprits are WAY outdated technology and engineering. Styling too. Hide-away headlights have been out of style for years. The Evora will outperform the Esprit in just about every way but a straight line.

Of course, my opinion is from a guy who gladly went from an S220 Exige WAY back to a Europa Twin Cam, so never mind.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Holy ****. 8K to replace an Evora clutch ?I believe even a V-8 Esprit clutch job is cheaper. I think 4-5k is the figure I've seen, but I maybe wrong.

I would guess an Evora will have less problems than a 2000+ Esprit. Newer and made better.

But like you said, the price difference is large. You could buy a nice V-8 Esprit and have enough leftover to pay for many years of professional service costs.

It sounds like you really want an Esprit. Get what looks best to you, it's an emotional purchase.

Personally, I couldn't care less if hide away headlights are "out of style". IMO the Esprit is a better looking vehicle than an Evora.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
No one would buy an Esprit because they are trying to stay up with the latest fashions, and we know you aren't stupid, so ignore that first reply.

If you buy a good Esprit off the bat, and avoid one with hidden problems from bad owners, overall you are going to spend a lot less money than the Evora.

The clutch parts are from $1000 to $3000 depending on if you pay for OEM or go for some other options including relining the friction plates or 3 party plates that JAE sells. The replacement is super straightforward compared to other cars.

If you abuse the car, and do something to blow up the engine, that will break you. But you have to do something stupid like not change the belts, or have them done by people that have no clue (like the dealers).

If the Esprit floats your boat, you should go for it. These cars are remarkably reliable and economical to own by the people that go about buying and owning intelligently.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
$8k for a clutch replacement???? don't think I spent $8k entirely rebuilding my 4 cylinder Esprit (excluding the paint job which was $6k). And that included new everything, including pistons, liners, transmission, fuel tanks, and virtually everything else (and the interior redone too!). If you can do the work yourself or most of the work yourself buy a 4 cylinder Esprit and enjoy both the drive and the mechanical work. It's a beautiful car with more than enough power to get you in trouble. If you just want muscle buy a Charger or a Mustang new or near-new. But nothing will be like the Esprit, that I can guarantee.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
yes, $8k for a clutch replacement because it involves dropping the engine from the chassis. It's about a 30 hour job I'm told so most of the cost is in labor.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
I should have just got the car I wanted to begin with ...

Right. Remember that and you can press the restart button for getting a car. You didn't say if you have driven an Esprit. There are guys here who favor a four and others an eight. Try both. An eight will cost you more to fix/maintain but a sad four can drain you faster than a solid eight. But know what you want and search out a good one and maintain it. If you love it you'll have no regrets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Has everyone else missed this, or am I the one missing something...

They could not really pinpoint the problem, but they are re-setting the computer and basically told me if it goes out again its on me..
We were talking about a clutch.. right?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Personally I think automakers should bring back the flip up head lights.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Personally I think automakers should bring back the flip up head lights.
They will. Just give it about 50 years before that comes back in fashion. It couldn't be more out fashion right now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pop up headlights weren't replaced because they went out of style. Technology in lighting and aerodynamics presented more practical options. Many of the newer lights are plain ugly. There is an understated elegance to the pop ups. They weren't replaced because of fashion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
860 Posts
Pop up headlights weren't replaced because they went out of style. Technology in lighting and aerodynamics presented more practical options. Many of the newer lights are plain ugly. There is an understated elegance to the pop ups. They weren't replaced because of fashion.

I think the Corvette was the last car sold in the US with Pop-up headlights. I think that was the 2005 or 2006 model..whatever the last C5 was.

As a kid, all I wanted was a car with pop-up headlights. They were so cool! :up: I still like them on the Esprit. The Early Diablos also had them, and they looked better than the later Diablos(which I think used 300ZX headlights).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Stick with the Evora. The last Esprits are WAY outdated technology and engineering. Styling too. Hide-away headlights have been out of style for years. The Evora will outperform the Esprit in just about every way but a straight line.

Of course, my opinion is from a guy who gladly went from an S220 Exige WAY back to a Europa Twin Cam, so never mind.
Yeah - I cant agree here at all. One thing you NEVER diss on regarding the Esprit is styling. The car is still striking in any color and at any angle. Every modern supercar, like all those Lambos are simply variations of the wedge aka Esprit. 500 years from now the Esprit wil still look better than just about any car on the road. That might be subjective...but my 25 year old "outdated" Esprit still causes immense rubber necking, gawking, pointing and "what the focking". That simply doesnt happen with 99% of the cars out there regardless of year.

Engineering - I do agree with some of that but not all of it. Tech for tech's sake isnt always good either.

Performance? yeah, new cars are faster than older cars in almost any way or category. Ill concede that.

Hide away headlights? Oh no you dont.... Jeremey Clarkson even correctly describes the Esprit as having PROPER headlights for an exotic. This trend towards exposed lights sucks, IMO, and it kills the clean front end styling on just about every supercar out there. Vettes now have them exposed, Ferrari, everyone. Bleh! I dont want to see light bulbs, I want to see the sexy front clip in all its hide-away light glory. Plus, how tough does an exotic look with the headlights up? Even my neighbor once saw me coming home after a trip at dusk and claimed my car looked "mean and purposeful" with the lights on/up. ;)

And, you went back to a Europ Twin Cam after all? NICE! :clap:

Thanks for getting it! Hideaway lights = a MUST in an exotic car. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
2004 was the last year of pop up headlights. The honor belongs to both the Lotus Esprit and the C5 (I think that's the right version) Corvette.

I think I read it in Wikipedia...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The demise of pop up headlights was due to new safety regulations, apparently they 'hurt' if you were to get hit -eek-Now, given that they were common on exotics with very little ground clearance, I would have thought that's the least of your worries as you get your legs amputated at the ankles and fly up over the roof of a speeding lambo rotfl

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Esprit's styling is timeless.
This is absolutely true. I just finished bringing my 83 Turbo Esprit through emissions and a 16 year old kid working there made it a point to yell "beautiful Esprit"! At me as I drove away. I was stunned as he wasn't even close to being born when they made the G-esprit.

Every bit recognizable and jaw dropping on the road as they were in the 80s...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts