The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from picking up my new to me 2011 Evora, and noticed a noise emanating from the six speed manual trans. I noticed if I leave the car running in neutral, there is a bearing rattle sound eminating from the trans. If I push in the clutch pedal, the rattle slowly goes away, signifying to me that it's some sort of bearing play in the trans.

Also, I notice some NVH rumble when engaging 4th or 5th gear in lower RPM's. I thought I might be lugging the motor, but I can upshift to 6th and the vibration goes away.

My question is this: Is any of this a trait of the Evora's Manual Tranny? It has the close ratio option.

I plan on draining the fluid and looking for metal particles, and refill with something that might be superior to the factory fluid.
Let's hope that's all it needs, otherwise this purchase just got WAY expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
For the most part, that rattling is normal. The rumble in 4th and 5th might not be though; some people have had issues with those specific gears failing in the early CR boxes. But aside from pulling the tranny out and opening it up, there's no way to know if yours will be one of the (un)lucky few that do fail.

Congrats, and welcome, BTW.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all - yeah I know it's major surgery if I have to pull the trans, but at the very least I can drain the oil that's there and replace it with something that might help quiet it down and prolong the gearbox life. Also, are the factory drain plugs magnetic? If not,. I might need to get one of those as well to help fish out what metal shavings there might be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it goes away when you put pressure on the clutch, it could be a throw-out bearing. But that is an old-school problem and doesn’t sound very Toyota.

I had shifting issues until I had the cables adjusted. Now it’s all snick-snick and feels like a gated shifter. Not forcing it into gear also helps prevent failure of the dreaded blue ball.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to drain and fill the 6MT? I'm reading there's a cooler and a pump also connected to the trans? Any special advice on draining the cooler?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine sounds a little agricultural at low revs (most noticeable with rear seat removed), which I understand is completely normal.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
547 Posts
Mine has always made a rough sound at idle and low speeds. Even had the gearbox rebuilt at 45k with new gears 3-6 still the same noise.

Didn't even need to rebuild the box, just did it because it was out. Car has been fine with all it's quirks even with the aftermarket tvs1900 supercharger

·
Registered
454 Posts
If it goes away when you put pressure on the clutch, it could be a throw-out bearing. But that is an old-school problem and doesn’t sound very Toyota.

I had shifting issues until I had the cables adjusted. Now it’s all snick-snick and feels like a gated shifter. Not forcing it into gear also helps prevent failure of the dreaded blue ball.
This is true. Both my '12MY and current '17 400 "rattle" when idling with clutch out; clutch in, and that rattle disappears-I think is throw out bearing spinning and chattering which is gone when free wheeling is interrupted to some degree with clutch in, fork pushing on bearing........no concern to me- I have noted in many other manuals ...

·
Registered
126 Posts
This noise is a standard "feature" of the Evora- its probably in part a result of the close proximity of the gearbox to the cabin and inadequate sound insulation- if you want to be able to hear the exhaust and the induction sounds with the windows up then some other less exciting noises are inevitable.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can here this noise while driving in gear as well. Floppy T/O bearing fork would do this so maybe that's all I'm up against. I sure didn't like the prices being offered out there for a used replacement trans. OUCH. Definitely not the way I want to start the relationship with this car.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There shouldn't be a trans cooler on the 2011 NAs. As for drain and fill, that's relatively simple once you get the rear under tray off.

View attachment 1265511

And to answer your other question, the drain plug is not magnetic.
This is good news! Normal garden variety transmission care. Gonna need to find the thread size and order me a magnetic drain plug.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You can here this noise while driving in gear as well. Floppy T/O bearing fork would do this so maybe that's all I'm up against. I sure didn't like the prices being offered out there for a used replacement trans. OUCH. Definitely not the way I want to start the relationship with this car.
This trans is VERY easy to work on so you can open it up and replace the consumables for well under $2k but again 20-40 hours++

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This trans is VERY easy to work on so you can open it up and replace the consumables for well under $2k but again 20-40 hours++
Well if it comes to that, I'll be pulling the motor/trans myself and having a good shop return the trans. As for TO bearing, pretty sure that's not it, since when I engage the clutch pedal, the noise does not instantly go away, but slowly fade as the input shaft revolutions come to a halt. Step 1: fluid change and magnetic plug install.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The releasing bearing on both of my 2011s are very loud at idle. Goes away when clutch is engaged. At 2500 rpm it resonates and sounds like it is coming from the dashboard.

edit: my sound goes away instantly. So it sounds like that’s not it for you.
donour

·
Registered
438 Posts
Its been said multiple times but ill add to the list. Yes its normal.
Mine got louder with a new throwout bearing, heavy duty clutch and light flywheel.

From people ive talked to the rattle can come from the springs in the clutch disc rattling combined with the single mass flywheel. That then sends a nice harmonic into the gearbox causing all the unloaded gears to rattle. So youve got springs and gears rattling inside a fibrglass drum with jackall sound deadening.

·
Registered
438 Posts
So Ive heard the Evora 400 rattle is much more obvious.
Im guessing the 400 has a stronger heavier sprung clutch? Does it also have a lighter flywheel?

If it has both heavy duty clutch and lighter flywheel than the S1 that would match up with my observation of adding those bits.

Also theres a difference in S1NA and S1S flywheel/clutch combo.
Is the S1NA quieter than the S?

Just curious.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 400 has a less noticeable rattle. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 24 Posts