The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 NA Evora with the non-CR transmission. I never really need to shift out of 4th, and can cruise at 70 mph at 2,200 on the tach. If I wanted a high speed race car or an interstate cruiser, this would be fabulous. On the back roads of Vermont, I am stuck shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

From what I've read, the CR transmission offers a different driving experience. Anyone do the swap? What did it cost you?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Unless you do all your own wrenching, from a money stand point you would be better off selling your current Evora and buying a different one with the sport trans. It's going to cost well over 10 grand

·
Registered
824 Posts
To my knowledge, the CR box only changes 4/5/6, not 1/2/3, so your experience shifting <4th gear will be unchanged. 2200rpm is pretty high when cruising at 70 to me, you should probably be using 6th and aiming more around 1500. That doesn't really change anything for your 1/2/3 situation though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To my knowledge, the CR box only changes 4/5/6, not 1/2/3, so your experience shifting <4th gear will be unchanged. 2200rpm is pretty high when cruising at 70 to me, you should probably be using 6th and aiming more around 1500. That doesn't really change anything for your 1/2/3 situation though.
I think the CR has different ratios for 3,4,5, and 6.

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/2GR-FE_Gearboxes

Gearbox 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reverse Final Drive 1st - 4th Final Drive 5th - 6th
Standard 3.538 1.913 1.218 0.86 0.79 0.638 3.831 3.777 3.238
Close Ratio 3.538 1.913 1.407 1.091 0.9697 0.8611 3.831 3.777 3.238

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think the CR has different ratios for 3,4,5, and 6.

https://wiki.seloc.org/a/2GR-FE_Gearboxes

Gearbox 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reverse Final Drive 1st - 4th Final Drive 5th - 6th
Standard 3.538 1.913 1.218 0.86 0.79 0.638 3.831 3.777 3.238
Close Ratio 3.538 1.913 1.407 1.091 0.9697 0.8611 3.831 3.777 3.238
Mea culpa. None the less, if you're finding yourself shifting between 2-3, at best this seems like it would exacerbate the same range so you're 2-3-4 and adding a shift. Not sure how one would solve the OP's issue, except maybe a final drive change.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the $10K cost estimate include the cost of a new transmission, or only the cost of the replacement gears? Where would I find cost and labor estimates for removing the engine and transmission?

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Does the $10K cost estimate include the cost of a new transmission, or only the cost of the replacement gears? Where would I find cost and labor estimates for removing the engine and transmission?
Labor estimates can be found in the Labour Time Guide that Lotus publishes alongside the service notes.

These were from the May 1st, 2015 guide:

Cost estimates come down to hourly shop rates, so it's best to shop around since they differ greatly between dealerships and independents.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
If you're going to do this much work just do the clutch, gears and lsd all in 1 shot. As for gears . Jubu or the monkey wrench ace gears...

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts
$6K is to get to the transmission

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 2010 NA Evora is probably worth $40k, do you really want to spend $10k to get a better transmission in it?
A fair question. After trying to sell it for 1 year, and with essentially no offers close to $40K, I feel that I am "stuck" with it, and am exploring options to make the car closer to what I want. If I could sell it for $40K today, I would wait for the right 2012+ Evora to show up, but at the moment there only are about 5 Evora S cars available with a stick, and none of them appeal to me in terms of color. So, I could wait a few years before finding what I want.

If you look at what is available on this site, Evoras are much more rare than Elises.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A fair question. After trying to sell it for 1 year, and with essentially no offers close to $40K, I feel that I am "stuck" with it, and am exploring options to make the car closer to what I want. If I could sell it for $40K today, I would wait for the right 2012+ Evora to show up, but at the moment there only are about 5 Evora S cars available with a stick, and none of them appeal to me in terms of color. So, I could wait a few years before finding what I want.

If you look at what is available on this site, Evoras are much more rare than Elises.
Here are 7 2012+ Evoras available for under $50k. If you bump the price to $60k, there are 19 available. If it's a dealer, you can work out a trade and save on sales tax, getting you closer to the $40k you are looking for.

Hope this helps, in case you haven't already looked at these.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...tkTypId=28881&yrId=39723,47272,51683&zc=76092

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...tkTypId=28881&yrId=39723,47272,51683&zc=76092

·
Registered
597 Posts
Jon,

You have a terrific car: great (and rare) color, and all the options. The idea of updating the transmission rather than selling the car and purchasing another -- with all the delay and expense associated with those transactions -- is by no means unreasonable.

Transmissions can be found for less than the $6k quoted above; heck, there were a couple on eBay just recently. I'd encourage you to consider John Z's suggestion of rebuilding your transmission with new gears, either from Lotus or (perhaps better, definitely cheaper) Monkey Wrench. Do the clutch at the same time as he suggests, and you'll never have to worry about the drivetrain again.

As for the labor cost, here's something to consider. Removing and replacing the power pack (engine and trans) on an Evora requires no special tools. The process is laid out in the shop manual in a clear and very DIY-friendly fashion. If you have some space in the garage and a couple of free weekends, you can do the whole project solo.

Do the in/out yourself, take the gearbox to a transmission shop and have them install the aftermarket gears, and you have a very economical project. The whole thing would probably cost less than just the VT registration tax for another $40k Evora...

·
Registered
597 Posts
One perhaps dumb question, though: your ad mentions the sport pack and sport gearbox. The CR gearbox and the sport gearbox are the same thing. Perhaps I missed a post somewhere, but are you sure you don't already have what you're looking for? Again, sorry if that's a dumb question.

(And reading your ad I see that your PO also replaced the original shift cables, so at least you don't have the super-crappy original 2010 style. Just mentioning it.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are 7 2012+ Evoras available for under $50k. If you bump the price to $60k, there are 19 available. If it's a dealer, you can work out a trade and save on sales tax, getting you closer to the $40k you are looking for.

Hope this helps, in case you haven't already looked at these.

Thanks! If you remove the automatics, the 19 drops down to 7 (one of which is an automatic, if you look at the pictures). One of the cars I would consider purchasing (based purely on color preference). And I still would have to "get rid of" my current car. After a year, I am less optimistic that the car is actually "worth" $40K, but I suppose one could say I could lose up to, say, $5K on the current car and still come out ahead. If I could sell my car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One perhaps dumb question, though: your ad mentions the sport pack and sport gearbox. The CR gearbox and the sport gearbox are the same thing. Perhaps I missed a post somewhere, but are you sure you don't already have what you're looking for? Again, sorry if that's a dumb question.

(And reading your ad I see that your PO also replaced the original shift cables, so at least you don't have the super-crappy original 2010 style. Just mentioning it.)
Not a dumb question at all! I described the car using the words that were used to describe the car to me. I know that I can cruise at 70 MPH at 1800 RPM, which I assume means that I have the original (non-CR) transmission.

I put this spreadsheet together, if anyone is interested...

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Jon, those figures accord with a spreadsheet that I put together a while back, see below. There's also a visual check for a CR box that is outlined in the shop manual, Section FL page 3.

Lotus ratios.png

So assuming we're not both doing the math wrong, I'm back to my suggestion: sit down with the workshop manual for a bit and review the transmission replacement procedure, and if you have some car fixin' experience and some garage space, I think you'll find that it's a very realistic DIY project. :up:

Edit: or buy a Miata, ha ha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts